5ltr Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackapple

Reaction score
Was bored today and have a 5 litre glass demijohn I bought at the LHBS and never used.

I threw in a tin of coopers stout and some leftover willamete I had left over and topped it up with water to 5ltr.

Pitched the kit yeast and it started bubbling through the airlock after about 20 min, might have to change to a blowoff tube.

Was pretty thick, didnt check the OG but I imagine it will be pretty potent....

Sigh..... addicted to the ferment

Haha yeah, that should be interesting, i know the feeling though, i am just itching to ferment something... has been 4 weeks, going away soon for 5 weeks so nothing on the cards for quite some time..

Was thinking i might try some different yeasts on some Berri apple and pear juice just to be fermenting something.

Fourcan stout!?

Puts it pretty much at Russian Imperial Stout in terms of OG & FG colour and IBU might be a bit much :)

At 5ltr who cares, can always tip it.
I imagine it might be a tad bitter but I might age it, see what happens.

Just went to check on it, holy krausen batman!
Ferment will be over in no time.

Might have to call it "Short and Stout"

Might have to call it "Short and Stout"

+1 for Short and Stout!

I like the idea behind this? Makes me want to consider doing the same, perhaps set up a couple of 4Lt water containers with blow off tube in the lid and do a kit between the two; say an 8Lt batch...not sure what to try...any suggestions?

How would a simple Coopers APA kit and some DME go in 8 litres? Hellishly bitter? Chuck some Amarillo in the top once in the bottle fermenters?? Would this work? Would love some advice.

*sorry for hijacking the thread/love your idea!

I did something a little less severe.
Tin stout
500g LDME
500g Dex
150g Choc grain steeped (30min)
12g Goldings Dry hopped
US-05
Made up to 11L
Fermented at 18deg for 3 weeks

After more than 6 months in the bottle it's still insanely bitter & sweet with a massive coffee hit from the choc grain. :eek:
This was an experiment based on the 2 can stout, and I'm not much of a dark beer drinker so I can barely get through a glass of this at a time. Might need to start using it for pouring myself black-n-tans.

OG would have been about 1.11-1.12, pretty damn high, if bottling be sure it's finished. I wouldn't be confident the single pack of kit yeast would be up to it, but I've never done it so...

Bubbled life a mofo until a few days ago, had to change to a blowoff tube after the airlock became brown.....
Think i'll bottle it tomorrow in some of those flip top bottles, looks like I have an excuse to go to the HBS tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back