50l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Low Hang'n

Reaction score
Hi
Recently got hold of a 50L keg (Tooheys style). Scored a keg coupler off a mate and degassed the keg. Boy did it shoot like a fountain :beerbang: ........ Luckily I did this in the back yard!!! :D I had stale beer mist slowly falling from the heavens for quite some time.

The question I have is how do I get the spear out of this keg so that I can clean, sterilise & then fill this baby?? I'd like to get a proper keg setup going but want to access the innards of the keg before I invest in taps etc.

All advice & help most welcome. I did a quick search on this site but didn't find the appropriate answers (probably missed it when scanning through too fast) :rolleyes:

Cheers
Low Hang'n

a search might find you some better instructions, but here it his a nutshell.

using a pair of pliers, push down on the black rubber bit and grab the metal bit in the centre. turn the metal bit (I forget which way, but it only goes one) and the centre bit will drop down. this unlocks the keg. then you can unscrew the top of the spear assembly (stilsons help here).

a search might find you some better instructions, but here it his a nutshell.

using a pair of pliers, push down on the black rubber bit and grab the metal bit in the centre. turn the metal bit (I forget which way, but it only goes one) and the centre bit will drop down. this unlocks the keg. then you can unscrew the top of the spear assembly (stilsons help here).

Thanks Goatherder (good name, but why?). Will try your method tonight when the chitlins are in bed & out of the way. Are there any other gotchyas with these kegs???

Cheers
Low Hang'n

First release pressure from keg by pressing the black center ring with something. Place a rag over it so you don't get beer in your face. With pliers, push down on the black O ring and at the same time grab the middle silver part. Turn it clockwise to disengage the spear from the top assembly. The spear will drop down into keg. Then just unscrew the top and pull everything out. There are three pins on the spear, one is longer than other two. Simply file it down to same size as other two. Reconnect it all and screw back to keg. Now you have a keg which you can open any time just by unscrewing the top. To clean soak in nappysan solution, rinse and sterilize as normal. To fill, rack your beer into keg.

7929.IPB[/ATTACH] othergoat.jpg

What arthur said is spot on, just do that. Nice pics too arthur, good post.

Attachments

• disco.jpg
    disco.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 64
thats what i do.

they are great.

cheers

A tip for the uninitiated (and by now probably sodden with old beer)... when degassing the keg, lay it on it's side - you won't have a gusher that way!

A tip for the uninitiated (and by now probably sodden with old beer)... when degassing the keg, lay it on it's side - you won't have a gusher that way!

Thanks all, it's the best info I've been able to get from anyone and great photos Arthur, everything explained in pictures, fantastic :beer:

Andyd, the gusher bit was on purpose to see how high the beer would fly. No I didn't get wet; bolted quickly once I locked the keg coupler. Made a great sound to..... :super: I had a good fog of beer mist in the backyard afterwards.

Goatherder, nice country up your way. I grew up in Kandos but have lived in Sydney for many years now.

Cheers & once again thankyou all.

Low Hang'n B)

Well, finally got the spear out. Took awhile though, didn't seem to want to budge but was loose when the black seal was depressed. Trying to turn the thing clockwise with pliers didn't seem to work until after a blood blister & a step back to have a think. In the end I did a little wiggle while turning right and at the same time lifting the centre steel bit ever so slightly & BINGO down dropped the spear.

All I have to do now is clean the blighter & then fill with beer. Can see a couple of fermentors going to work very, very soon. :chug:

Cheers
Low Hang'n

Would anyone be able to post similar pics for removing the spear from a CUB keg?

Thanks

Crozdog

Building the tool (or a derivative there-of) is well worth the effort - I've sometimes found getting the spear back in can be a challenge without it.

Building the tool (or a derivative there-of) is well worth the effort - I've sometimes found getting the spear back in can be a challenge without it.

Have you made your own keg tool? If so would love to know what you did. :)

And a picture is worth a thousand words im told. ;)

As a safety measure, most all stems have an extension tab greater in diameter than the keg opening. With most kegs:

Unscrew the spear as far as it can. Hopefully the threads have disengaged. If you pull up on the spear you can feel the safety tab hitting the opening lip on the inside of the keg. This will cause the spear to "rock" in the direction of where the safety tab is. NOW YOU KNOW WHERE IT IS.

Using the smallest screwdriver , insert into valve where the safety tab is. The screwdriver should push against the tab such that the tab retracts. Pull valve out.

Matt, The keg guy in STILL HOT N. California!

RE: Looking at pic of homemade Sanke valve removal tool

-DANGEROUS!!!!!!

If someone reminds me -next week I will take pics of a MicroMatic (stem mfg) stem removal tool and post it here.

When I am warmed up, I can get stems out in under 15 seconds, and in in under than 25 seconds.......

RE: Looking at pic of homemade Sanke valve removal tool

-DANGEROUS!!!!!!

If someone reminds me -next week I will take pics of a MicroMatic (stem mfg) stem removal tool and post it here.

When I am warmed up, I can get stems out in under 15 seconds, and in in under than 25 seconds.......

This is your friendly reminder for the pickies, :super: :D

What is the best procedure for getting the spear etc back into the keg without filing the safety tab off as Arthur suggests?

Cheers
Low Hang'n

Just remember, Toohey keg spears screw out, whereas CUB keg spear lift out !!! Otherwise you could be trying to remove a CUB spear by trying to screw the spear out, and that could take a while !!!

Isn't that right, Linz???? What do you reckon Franko???

Cheers,
Jase

Just remember, Toohey keg spears screw out, whereas CUB keg spear lift out !!! Otherwise you could be trying to remove a CUB spear by trying to screw the spear out, and that could take a while !!!

Isn't that right, Linz???? What do you reckon Franko???

Cheers,
Jase

Got the Tooheys keg, the question was confirming the procedure to get the keg back together if I decide not to file the safety tab off. Seems that a special tool is required that locks the spear back into the screw bit that the keg coupler latches onto (hope that makes sense, not one for the terminology :D )

Is it a smaller version of a keg coupler that grabs the end of the spear so that you can pull it up and twist into lock??

Cheers
Low Hang'n

Back