50l Keg Conversion Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffo_69

Reaction score
hey all,
im only new to this site im sure u've prolly been asked this 100 times,
i been home brewing for around 4 years but now i think its time i went to a keg set up as im sick of washing out bottles now ive been tossing up how to go about it weather i buy a corney keg set up ect. now ive had a friend of a friend who used to own a pub and knew i was into homebrewing gave me and old damaged comercial style keg its a tooheys/xxxx "style" keg, he was constantly triping over it in his shed he told me the spike a seals where busted and long gone, he told me i may be able to convert this to take the ball lock fittings and use it for my homebrewing?
now i have the threaded lid where the spike used to go and im sure u can get an o ring seal from any bearing and seal place not a problem, now my idea was to weld the top of the threaded lid closed and weld a nut on top so it can be open and closed with a spanner or pipe wrench and also getting the right fittings to screw in a relief valve into the lid, and makeing up a gas draw tube and a dispense side draw tube and the ball lock fittings and seals.Has any one done this b4? if so would some one be able to post some pics and list of the parts and sizes ect needed for the conversion as im weighing up weather its cheaper to buy the corney style keg or convert this old damaged keg i was given maybe i can use corney spare parts to do this?, basicaly i have an idea whats involved in the conversion it would be easyer to know exactly the list and sizes of the fittings relief valve size ect so im not standing at a brew shop or hydralic fitting shop uming and arring over what parts i need, weather the conversion is the cheaper option or just go with the corney idea, but i do think that 50L in the fridge is better that 19L
so any help guys would be greatly apprieciated
thank you for your time
cheers
Griffo

Griffo,
Not sure if this is any help to you but worth a look maybe. Link I think it was mentioned on AHB recently.

thanks wyatt,
i have seen that advertised the other day not a bad idea, thats still an option
thanks mate
cheers
griffo

Back