50 L Sanke Fermentor/tap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krmak

Reaction score
Hi all!
I was wondering if this would work:

I would modify a 50l sanke keg into a fermenter, by cutting a hole in the bottom and then use a corny top to cover it (bigger hole for better and easier cleaning), then I would also add one faucet in the middle for checking the gravity during the fermentation and another one on the top of the sanke keg (next to the keg valve) so I could let out the trub and the yeast post fermentation (so I would get something like a conical fermenter)...

could this keg be also used for dispensing beer or all the extra parts wouldn't handle the pressure from the CO2 tank? I am specially worried about the corny keg top, would it stay in place if I would let's say flip the keg over after the fermentation and would want to dispense beer thorough the keg valve?

thx all and tc :icon_chickcheers:

Wow that's alot of work but a great idea. I'm guessing it would be possible but if I was you I'd just use 2 separate kegs. I'll be watching this thread to see what other ppl think. If you do go-ahead with it I'd love to see the final product. Good luck man!

The Yanks are big on using Kegs to ferment, see here for some ideas:
http://www.brewershardware.com/Sanke-Fermenter-Kits/

Id also try the US homebrew forums.

Nice idea on bottom draining faucet, the conical base should work nicely to help get the slurry out, no idea on the pressure rating on a home-weld corny lid...

I would save yourself the trouble and just remove the keg spear, shove a bung with a hole in the top and put in an airlock. When you need to check gravity, just get a cheapo wine thief. When you ready to rack, a racking cane/auto-siphon will do the job easy. Cleaning won't be too much of a trouble if you give it a good soaking with PBW and warm water right after you rack.

You will also keep the keg in one piece should you ever get pulled up for having it in the first place.

By the way, I think the moment you modify it, its structural stability as a pressurised vessel is compromised, so I WOULD NOT use it as a serving keg. Just my opinion.

I've used similar setups, with a keg that had been ripped open at the top. Rounded it off and used a glass plate to seal it. Works well. The only thing I found was that you interoduce a large number of possible infection sites, to pe careful cleaning it. I may look at getting one of the US Sanke-fermentor kits if I ever go back to fermenting double batches, but I'm happy using a couple of better bottles at the moment.

The spigot at the bottom probably won't help you as much as you think - firstly you will have a protrusion into the keg space that will mean there will (in the best case) still be a significant amount of yeast/trub in there, and secondly the slope of the vessel isn't sufficient to ensure the yeast will fall successfully. 60 degrees is the recommended slope for this. I'd had similar thoughts a while back but stopped short.

Andy

Latest posts

Back