40l Keg Crash Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel.lear

Reaction score
Hey all,

Now I don't start topics often as there is almost always a topic already, and this is not the usual "how do i carb my keg" question, but I have a 40 corny keg to gas and I need to crash carb it. Dont ask why, I just do ;)

My usual method is either to hook up to serving pressure and leave (balanced system), or a basterdised method of the "Ross Method" which I call the Leary method. Which is 4 Degrees at 45 PSI, for 45 seconds of shacking. This leaves the beer slightly under carbed and, when transfered to the keg fridge will slowly take on the rest to fully carbonate, while being carbed enough to drink straight away.

This is fine for a standard 19L corny keg, I wish to apply the same method for a 40L keg. Is it as simple as doubling the shake time?? My knowledge on the maths of CO2 absorbtion is low, so I turn to the forum for help.

TIA

Cheers,

Leary

I can't help you with your question at all, i still bottle and know nothing abouit kegs. Well not nothing, i know what they are...

However, i would be really interested in knowing more about what kind of system you run. Thats alot of beer, is it all different kinds or do you just light a fire underneath your water tank, break out the king size bed sheets and go from there? :) I'd love to see some pics if you've got any. Thats enough beer for a year!

Well don't forget it's gonna take ya twice as long to get the 45l down to the same temp to absorb the co2. Then I wish you luck shaking the 45kg till you think you've undercarbed it :rolleyes:

cheers

Hirns

Just do what some of us ( I call us the smart ones ;)) do:

Force carb at serving pressure! Yes it takes longer (15 or so minutes) but gets you to a slightly under-carbed state, with NO chance of over-carbonation!

Cheers

I am a retard, i read it as you have 40x 19Lcorny kegs to gas, not a single 40L corny keg. I was thinking you had 4x 44 gallon drums in massive fridges or something.

Back