400lt rig build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vittorio...the tax departmet take an extremely dim view of anyone just selling their beer to pubs...they kind of like their cut...so i hope that your not suggesting this seriously !

Hi vittorio, gear looks nice very shiny, out of interest have you gone down the path of liquor licensing and how have you found that experience ? Not to be rude what is a rough number you are budgeting to? Thanks

It seems that with the total volume, minus the false bottom volume you will only have around 360 litres of room. Minus your grain absorption and dead space I reckon 300 litres turnover is a good estimate too.
Thats a fair bit of beer per run . A nice amount for a micro setup. I remember talking to the brewers at James squire and they do test batches on a 300 litre micro. Thats still 7 full 40 litre kegs after ferment loss which would keep any small operation full I reckon.
They look nice mate. The Mac hotel in Sydney has a Micro that runs about 500 litre batches but they are making/selling heaps of beer.

I have got liquor producers licence and yes every time I sell to a pub, the tax man gets his cut :)

matty3450- liquor producers license is dirt cheap because there is no one drinking in your venue which means you can only make it at your venue and not sell it in ur venue which is why its cheap. the form is only two pages which you can get online, with filling it out, you will need an abn and registered business name. with the abn, expect a phone call and when you received it explain how small ur setup or brewery will be. with the registered business name, its a yearly pay just like the liquor licensing.

Looks good Vittorio

So you have a liquor producers licence already? Do you have your beer on at any pubs yet? Also how do you heat the strike water and boil the wort, just direct heat (natural gas I assume) or do you need to get a boiler installed?

Sorry for being so nosey

Cheers

Luke

your not being nosey lol :p. the base diameter on these vessels are designed so two Mongolian 32 jet burners can fit underneath each vessel. the Mongolian burners run on a natural gas line so it will be cheaper to run compared to an electric element or swappable lpg gas bottle.
I used to sell my beer to customs house in williamstown for over a year but got tired of getting rip off so i took it off tap, anyway im concentrating on getting my brewery off the ground before i start selling again. I want to be operational by the end of the year. this is a pic is of when it used to be on tap with my old logo. since im taking this seriously now as you all can see i got a better more professional logo :p lol

crazy horse original pic.jpg

maxim0200 said:
All i can say is wow...
300L of beer in one go, nice!

Also thanks for the info on liquor producers licence, verry intersting. :)
Dont forget the first stage is getting your premises past local council (lots of hoops to jump thru) , then you can apply to get a liquor license.
Its not as easy/cheap as it seems ;)
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
Dont forget the first stage is getting your premises past local council
Nev
Vittorio, this is the bit I am interested in.

I love the idea of starting small, and building on it from there, but how does one do this without huge rent?

im renting a huge shed so i can brew in it, the shed has a little court yard/garden which is perfect for like local artist/musicians to put on a little show to attract people to my beer. the rent is $90 a week since its a shed. My council already knows and doesn't care since its not residential, they only care if i choose to build on the building which i will need a building permit. they only care how i take care of the waste and that's no problem for me. Im well prepared. its been a dream of mine!

since its been in the planing for the last few years, i have covered everything that is legal and am well prepared!

vittorio said:
matty3450- liquor producers license is dirt cheap because there is no one drinking in your venue which means you can only make it at your venue and not sell it in ur venue which is why its cheap. the form is only two pages which you can get online, with filling it out, you will need an abn and registered business name. with the abn, expect a phone call and when you received it explain how small ur setup or brewery will be. with the registered business name, its a yearly pay just like the liquor licensing.
vittorio said:
im renting a huge shed so i can brew in it, the shed has a little court yard/garden which is perfect for like local artist/musicians to put on a little show to attract people to my beer. the rent is $90 a week since its a shed. My council already knows and doesn't care since its not residential, they only care if i choose to build on the building which i will need a building permit. they only care how i take care of the waste and that's no problem for me. Im well prepared. its been a dream of mine!

These two statements seem to be in conflict. Just trying to understand the concept, not trying to shoot it down.

there not going to be anyone drinking at my brewery, but i can still attract people there with musicians and art show.

im aloud to have people in my brewery but they cant drink, so i thought a way to get my beer notice if every once and a while i do like an art show or something with local musicians and artist. anyway here a few pics of my shed i need to clean the whole place up b4 i start loading the the equipment

im aloud to have people in my brewery but they cant drink, so i thought a way to get my beer notice if every once and a while i do like an art show or something with local musicians and artist. anyway here a few pics of my shed i need to clean the whole place up b4 i start loading the the equipment

shed 1.jpg

shed 2.jpg

shed 3.jpg

shed 4.jpg

shed 5.jpg

Seems like you had it easy.
I had to go through local council, then state government for a liquor licence, then federal government for an excise manufacturers licence.

For the liquor licence there was a lot of paperwork, had to attend a hearing and have criminal history checks.

The excise was the hard bit, lot of paperwork, had to submit building plans, scales, hydrometers, bright tanks had to be calibrated. I also had to have the alcohol content of my beers tested to ensure the formula I use to calculate it was accurate.

I don't want people to get disillusioned into thinking its an easy ride, by all means go for it, its well worth the experience. but be prepared for how hard it may be. Some breweries have to fight hard for their liquor licence if there are objections.

Back