4 Pines ESB-alike

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is back in the bottleshops with a new blue label. Seems to have lost most of the raisiny sweetness that made it so good before, boo!

I brewed this to Blind Dog's suggestion earlier this year, and it was ok but not great (and definitely didn't have the intensity/flavours of the 4 Pines ESB). That could be my novice experience rather than the recipe! I also had to sub a couple of ingredients from the LHBS. An experienced brewer said it was ok, but suggested an English yeast would have been better - I think I used S05.

4.00kg Maris otter (80%)
0.50kg Munich (10%)
0.20kg Amber (instead of Biscuit) (4%)
0.15kg Carared (instead of Caramunich I) (3%)
0.15kg dark crystal (3%)

20g target (10.5%) at 60 min
15g Fuggles (4.5%) at 20 min
25g EKG (5.0%) at flameout (20 min steep)
25g Willamette (5.5%) at flameout (20 min steep)

I'm going to give it another go with more Maris Otter, Biscuit instead of Amber, and drop the Carared/Caramunich I entirely as I had some Crystal leftovers I want to use with the same hop schedule:

23.5L OG 1.052 FG: 1.015
IBU: 38 EBC: 19.5
4.50kg Maris otter (83.1%)
0.50kg Munich (9.2%)
0.20kg Biscuit (3.7%)
0.14kg Crystal 120L (2.6%)
0.08kg Crystal 60L (1.4%)

And Windsor or Nottingham dried yeast. Any suggestions, or has anyone found a better approach :)

OP said it had ale malt in it too, based on the 4-pines website. Or am I reading it wrong? Has a pretty different taste to straight MO.

I've brewed and tweaked this a few times and ended up happiest with:

[SIZE=10.5pt]80% Simpsons Maris Otter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]13% Weyermann Munich 1 [/SIZE]
2.8% Weyermann Caraaroma
2.8% Briess Extra Special (or Dark Crystal)
1,4% Simpsons Chocolate
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Challenger (7.9%) as FWH to give 9 IBU[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Challenger (7.9%) at 60min to give 31 IBU (no adjustment for no chill)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]EKG (5%) at 15 min to give 9 IBU (as I no chill these were added at flame out, wort whirlpooled for a few minutes and allowed to cool to 85C (covered) then transferred to cube)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]WLP 002 at 18C until done and then left for 10 days post FG to clean up[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Mash: 68C for 45 min; 72C for 20; mashout 78C[/SIZE]

I dropped the biscuit type malts as I don't think you need them with an MO base. I find the Munich necessary to add a layer of malt complexity and the darker crystals to add the ark caramel and dried fruit notes, but they need a fairly light touch to avoid too much bitterness. The WLP002 is the Fuller's strain and accentuates the maltiness.

Of your listed dried yeast options, IMO Windsor would be better than Nottingham, but the Fuller's strain really does enhance the malts and, IMO, is worth the extra $s

You could also try pulling say 2L or 3L of unhopped wort and boiling that hard into a syrup (taking care not to burn it) to add another dimension

Latest posts

Back