Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
Put down a Belgian Strong Dark on Sunday arvo, pitching a healthy 3L starter at 21C and giving it 45 minutes with an airstone. About an hour later we had a bubbling airlock and by Monday morning some krausen starting to appear in the airlock.

Monday night saw a fair bit of yeast in the airlock, and Tuesday morning I woke to find this thing had climbed out of the 120mm headspeace in the fermenter, and was continuously pouring yeast out of the airlock, over the lid of the fermenter and onto the floor. Good thing I sat it in the shower because the fermenting fridge was busy... And had climbed from it's temp controlled 21C to 25C. The first time I've ever had to use a blowoff tube, in an effort just to contain the mess. This yeast is one aggressive mofo. Hope it leaves some of itself in the fermenter to chew on the sugars :huh:

Yeah my tripel did the same thing - using WLP530 yeast which is the same as 3787. It's one angry krausened mofo, absolutely needs a blowoff tube.

Sounds tasty!

I think you'll find most fresh yeasts with decent size starters will go nuts with a strong ale. Might need a bigger fermenter or smaller batch size hehe.

My Xmas Bender Belgian a few years back did that too, with the 3787 yeast. Was an awesome beer though.

Doc

It's a prime candidate for cropping that's for sure - all you'd have to do is stick a container underneath your airlock for 5 minutes...

Latest posts

Back