3068 Way Over Pitched

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
couple weeks ago done a high gravity brew and no chill cubed into 2 cubes, 1 full and the other got about 4-5L into a 10L cube.

last weekend i got a smack of 3068 to pitch into what i thought would be around 20L, well the 5L of wort in the 10L cube was infected.
so i justed used the full cube and once diluted was about 12L in FV, i pitched the full pack ;)

know reading into why it stinks like no tomorrow makes sense as i have way over pitched.
its had 5 days and still stinks, the wort also stinks and tastes much the same, i dont want to start another thread on this as there are plenty but can i brew say 9L of fresh wort and add it to the FV or is it to late for this one?

couple weeks ago done a high gravity brew and no chill cubed into 2 cubes, 1 full and the other got about 4-5L into a 10L cube.

last weekend i got a smack of 3068 to pitch into what i thought would be around 20L, well the 5L of wort in the 10L cube was infected.
so i justed used the full cube and once diluted was about 12L in FV, i pitched the full pack ;)

know reading into why it stinks like no tomorrow makes sense as i have way over pitched.
its had 5 days and still stinks, the wort also stinks and tastes much the same, i dont want to start another thread on this as there are plenty but can i brew say 9L of fresh wort and add it to the FV or is it to late for this one?

Not convinced you have "way over pitched". 3068 tends to stink a bit, in my experience. My Mrs won't let me ferment this one in the house... How does the wort taste? Perhaps it has suffered the same fate as the smaller one? Don't add any more to it unless you are happy it is not infected...

Just bottled a Weizenbock made with a 3068 starter.

2 days into it, the level of rotten egg fart in the fermenting fridge made me gag. After 10 days of fermenting and then a few days after a crash chill there was hardly any.

During the bottling I couldn't detect any of the sulfury, rotten egg smell anymore.

Patience is the key with 3068. It will come good in the smell department eventually.

3068's rotten eggs and inability to hold onto esters (tastes better at FG than it does after that) made me experiment with using 1214 in weizens.

Doesn't sound quite right using a Belgian yeast in a hefe ... but it really works a treat. Huge bananas (that stick round), subtle phenolics, no sulphur, no insane krausen.

I don't use 3068 anymore. Great yeast, but sometimes I found it unpredictable. Alwasy behaved on the second and third generation.

it tastes like it smell if that makes sense
it doesnt taste fizzy or anything, i havent tasted infected wort though

the cube that got infected swelled up bad and when opened you could tell it was bad.

so if the wort in FV isnt infected could i possibly add to it now or just wait it out to see what happens if it comes good just pitch 20L fresh wort on the cake

3068's rotten eggs and inability to hold onto esters (tastes better at FG than it does after that) made me experiment with using 1214 in weizens.

Doesn't sound quite right using a Belgian yeast in a hefe ... but it really works a treat. Huge bananas (that stick round), subtle phenolics, no sulphur, no insane krausen.

i just brewed a low alc (OG: 1.040) beer stepping up to a tripel with WLP500 (ie 1214). I could definitely see this in a weizen. Mine has lots of similarity to a weizen with a definite belgian influence. only kegged last night, and tried flattish, but looking forward to it. Was 17%flaked wheat and rest pils, bittered to 29IBU, so not aiming for a weizen, just used some of the same wort from the tripel.

Cheers,
Al

I'd also suggest it is very unlikely that you over pitched, it's even possible you under pitched (12L @ 1.048 needs more than 1 3 month old pack).
In addition overpitching generally tends to reduce the yeasty characteristics not increase them.

As others have said, give it time, let the yeast finish their work, and condition it some, and you should notice that the smell and flavors go.

I don't use 3068 anymore. Great yeast, but sometimes I found it unpredictable. Alwasy behaved on the second and third generation.

What temp do you normally ferment at to get the bananas Nick?

What temp do you normally ferment at to get the bananas Nick?

With 1214? 20C - but it'll make bananas no matter what I reckon. It's Chimay's yeast.

EDIT: if you can get hold of a Schneider Weisse, it's very similar to using 1214 in a hefeweisse.

With 1214? 20C - but it'll make bananas no matter what I reckon. It's Chimay's yeast.

EDIT: if you can get hold of a Schneider Weisse, it's very similar to using 1214 in a hefeweisse.

Thankyou Nicholas :huh:
Helpful as always :icon_chickcheers:

will try 1214 next time, cheers

ok it looks as the ferment has stopped, its still smelly as well as the sample but I dont think it tastes infected

do i still leave it or do i bring it down to 2*c now?

anyone?

just want to know if i should still leave it longer or crash chill now

In my experience with 3068, just leave it in the primary for 14 days, I don't crash mine and the fart smell will eventually dissipate over time. It's a cracker of a yeast.

A bit OT but I've found fermenting at 17 deg gives a very subtle banana flavour also. :beerbang:

Generally with this kind of yeast/beer, (unless making a kristalweizen) you want yeast to remain in suspension so no need to cold condition.

In my experience with 3068, just leave it in the primary for 14 days, I don't crash mine and the fart smell will eventually dissipate over time. It's a cracker of a yeast.

A bit OT but I've found fermenting at 17 deg gives a very subtle banana flavour also. :beerbang:

OK, this weekend will be 14 days
is your smell gone at this stage? or do you just bottle even though its still smelly?

so if it still smell just leave it till it eventually goes away?

for some reason thought i read to crash chill to help get rid of the smell

OK, this weekend will be 14 days
is your smell gone at this stage? or do you just bottle even though its still smelly?

so if it still smell just leave it till it eventually goes away?

for some reason thought i read to crash chill to help get rid of the smell

Yep, bottle or keg it, which ever you like. The smell will disipate. :beerbang:

hey gibbo

i bottled this stink brew on the weekend, man I hope your correct that it will go away as I cant beleive at this stage <_<
so how long should i leave it in the bottle?

i wanted to dump some fresh wort on the yeast cake but I thought it was to risky to waste time if the first dosen't work out

cheers

I've had 3068 still be sulphury at FG. I keg, so a lot of the rotten eggs can be purged out of the keg by slightly over carbing it and purging.

Since you're bottling, the farts will be gone by the time it's carbed - so long as it's just the usualy 3068 sulphur and not something else doing it.

Dropping the yeast out (going Kristall) will also help rid the smell, don't ask me why.

Dropping the yeast out (going Kristall) will also help rid the smell, don't ask me why.
If it's just the usual yeast-byproduct sulphur, the extra time cold-chilling/lagering to drop the yeast out is likely what helps get rid of the smell.

Latest posts

Back