3068 Way Over Pitched

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll enjoy it, I had a couple of bottles which I did when I kegged, about 8 weeks later and there was no trace of old stinky fart, tasted great. :beerbang:

If it's just the usual yeast-byproduct sulphur, the extra time cold-chilling/lagering to drop the yeast out is likely what helps get rid of the smell.

I use gelatine and 2 days to get kristall with 3068. Finings are great when making kristalls as you can get to it fresher.

well I just sampled one of these brews after 6 days in the bottle and it is drinkable but that sulphar taste is there or what ever it is
you can smell it in the glass
i had a weihenstephaner at the pub the other day before i sampled mine and the same sort of taste was there? never tasted it before

I fermented at 19 and i cant taste bannana

will leave this one to one side for a while and see how it taste later on

thanks guys

well I just sampled one of these brews after 6 days in the bottle and it is drinkable but that sulphar taste is there or what ever it is
i had a weihenstephaner at the pub the other day before i sampled mine and the same sort of taste was there? never tasted it before

I fermented at 19 and i cant taste bannana

will leave this one to one side for a while and see how it taste later on

thanks guys

Give it a little time, now that you know what you are looking for, you'll probably think the smell is there, even if it isn't. 6 days is a very short time.

As per Jamil's book, banana taste in the low 20's, cloves in the high teens, but if you go back to 17 deg you get banana again. I did exactly this, my last hef was fermented at 17 deg with 3068 and I had a very subtle banana flavour. Very tasty indeed. :beerbang:

Wheat beer 50-50 Wheat- Ale malt
Under pitch yeast
Ferment it warm
And serve it fresh
The only way to go

Only 50% wheat?, not much of a wheat at 50% :p

Only 50% wheat?, not much of a wheat at 50% :p

Flavours really come down to the yeast 50% is fairly normal with AG
Ive done 60-40 as far as im willing to go without a stuck sparge come close though

100% barlez "wheat beers" taste pretty great.

It's the yeast.

Is it a taste, or just a smell? (Try holding your nose and drinking it). If its just the smell, it's pretty normal and will mellow with time - just give it a few more weeks. Remember that with bottle carbing, the yeast are active again so will produce a bit more sulfur to start with.

Is it a taste, or just a smell? (Try holding your nose and drinking it). If its just the smell, it's pretty normal and will mellow with time - just give it a few more weeks. Remember that with bottle carbing, the yeast are active again so will produce a bit more sulfur to start with.

ok, I tried another brew today so nearly couple weeks in bottle
I blocked my nose for the first swig and it tasted ok, slight banana taste
but after that I couldn't taste banana just the sulphar and it still smells, not as bad as it did from the FV though.

I will let it go and hopefully it comes good.

on another note I pitched the slurry into a fresh batch and its happily active, with no smell :beerbang:

on another note I pitched the slurry into a fresh batch and its happily active, with no smell :beerbang:

I've had the very same thing happen. The repitch with 3068 is always better. It's why I stopped using 3068 - it's a weird fecker. I got tired of trying to isolate why and what was causing the farts. Never could isolate it.

3638 is more reliable, but not as flavoursome.

I've had the very same thing happen. The repitch with 3068 is always better. It's why I stopped using 3068 - it's a weird fecker. I got tired of trying to isolate why and what was causing the farts. Never could isolate it.
Might be worth considering if the first batches were underpitched, perhaps as a consequence of the yeast in the packs not traveling/storing well or something?

Might be worth considering if the first batches were underpitched, perhaps as a consequence of the yeast in the packs not traveling/storing well or something?

I agree. 3068 is it's such a virrulent beast that maybe an old, less viable smackpack will still take off quickly...

can't really remember but pretty sure it was only 2 weeks old

either way I will do a few with this batch of yeast now that I have it

OT, has anyone had good luck with WB-06? first couple of batches were good but my third wasn't as good
after a month in the bottle it has really come good, someone described a little spice like hoegaarden? No spices added and fresh yeast pack every time

I'll throw my 2c in, and say that WY3638 is my favorite yeast to use in a hefe. I agree that it's not as flavor some, but the hefe I make is dry hopped with 1.5g/L of Citra. It's enough to let you know it's a hefe, but doesn't clash with the hops.

Back