3068 Starter - Sulfur Central

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
qu? :blink:

and a non starter/using 1/5th of a smackpack is a surefire way to stress the yeast and produce unwanted esters.

i'd prefer the starter.

You're correct Mantickle, I misread this above to mean that he was making a starter from 1/5 of a smackpack.

Sounds like it's infected then - chuck it out.

You're correct Mantickle, I misread this above to mean that he was making a starter from 1/5 of a smackpack.

Ok so you're back-pedaling on the idea that the starter which is at full smack pack level as of lastnight is infected during my steup process from a slant?

assume this whole smackpack has been added to 500ml of wort to get to my 9million cells/ml. if its still stinky tongiht i'll crash chill and sleep on it, ive submitted a question to wyeast. i'll see how it fairs. atleast then they can tell me its stuffed.

AHB would be such a boring place without our whipping boy Nick.

Now back on topic - I mix my slants with 50mls of wort - so perhaps your 200mls initial step could potentially qualify as an under-pitch? Especially with older slants etc... Just a thought

AHB would be such a boring place without our whipping boy Nick.

Now back on topic - I mix my slants with 50mls of wort - so perhaps your 200mls initial step could potentially qualify as an under-pitch? Especially with older slants etc... Just a thought

nope, i do 50ml.

first step - 50ml INTO slant
second 200ml into flask/jar
3rd 400ml into jar (not 500 due to capacity, my erlenmyers are broken. :()

Without weighing in to the whole overpitch/underpitch/beat Nick about the head thing, I have used this yeast many times, and it has always stunk. Beers turn out OK though...

Without weighing in to the whole overpitch/underpitch/beat Nick about the head thing, I have used this yeast many times, and it has always stunk. Beers turn out OK though...

stunk of sulfur or stunk of expected/desired esters/phenols?

Heh heh heh!

Hey Fourstar - 3068 smells like sulphur. Worse than a lager, unless you underpitch it. :icon_drunk:

ThirstyBoy, I throw this one to you! :icon_cheers:

I wouldnt if I was you. Did you see the pic ANHC come up with of DW? :lol:
I love a dunkel and this yeast, sure it stinks in the starter vessel but 99/100 the beer doesnt!

I wouldnt if I was you. Did you see the pic ANHC come up with of DW? :lol:
I love a dunkel and this yeast, sure it stinks in the starter vessel but 99/100 the beer doesnt!

so you have had the same results mate?

sounds good to me then! :icon_cheers:

so you have had the same results mate?

Every time it stinks in the starter for me.
edit, further, I dont do ferulic rests etc, but always pitch very cold then build up whilst the yeast builds, no rocket science just this works for keeping this baby in check. Re, clove, bubblegum,banana, theres heaps of ways to skin a cat, you dont need to be told that though.
Forget about the stink and pitch!

I am still very confused as to how a starter is 'by definition' massive overpitching but we can leave that discussion for another day, another thread or even another life. Also not sure why wyeast suggest underpitching leads to Hydrogen sulfide production but you insist it's a result of overpitching.

Fourstar - a little google search on 3068 sulfur suggests you're not the first to experience eggs with this yeast. If the wort is tasting OK, I'd take the punt. That's one thing I do agree with Nick on (or did till he changed his mind).

Here, let me Google that for you. Breaking news! 3068 smells! When my 3068 smelled I googled it and relaxed.

Fark. There's an entire page of google results saying it smells like sulphur. The irony - right next to noobs getting shit for not googleing is a befuddled expert who hasn't googled.

I love this place. :D

Here is Wyeasts response. They say it is not normal be pussing excessive sulfer at any time during the propagation process.

maybe im being pedantic with the 'excessive part'. The starter smells 1/2 as stinky after the final growth step and no off flavours either when i tasted it. Infact, after swirling it in a glass there is only minimal sulfur noticable and noice clean clove/wheat characters.

The suck it and see approach is in order i think. The worst i can do is produce two eggy batches of beer. Eggleweizen and Dunkeggelweizen. :p

Cheers.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:43 PM
To: Customerservice
Subject: Question From Wyeast Labs website for I have general question.

QUESTION:
Hi,

I have been stepping up a slant of Weihenstephan Weizen 3068 as per my
typical procedure as follows:

50ml worth into a vial until fully attenuated
Add to 200ml worth with 16 hours on a stir plate
Add another 500ml for 16 hours to assume close to a fresh smack pack
cell count. This is then typically crash chilled, decant the starter
liquid and built up as required.

I have noticed with this yeast that it has begun pushing excessive amounts of
sulfur during this propagation process.

I have crash chilled the starter and the culture appears to be healthy,
creamy chalky white and no off flavours in the starter liquid.

Is it typical of this yeast to push sulfur when stepping up from streak
plates/slants?

Also the starter liquid was 1.035OG wort from a 50:50 wheat/barley malt
grist.

Thank-you for your response in advance.

Regards,
Braden

----------------------
Sent: Sat Sep 4 06:21:25 2010
Received: Sat Sep 4 06:21:30 2010
Subject: RE: Question From Wyeast Labs website for I have general question.

Braden,

It is not normal for Wyeast 3068 to produce significant amounts of
sulfur at any propagation step.

Sincerely,

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories
(541) 354-1335

The irony - right next to noobs getting shit for not googleing is a befuddled expert who hasn't googled.

I did a little reading before, even braukiaser (braukaiser.com) has reported sulfur production from this strain with adequate pitching rates. hmmmm, it might be something typical of this strain.

Nick, grow up mate! Now i suppose you're going to say wyeast are wrong.

There is a BIG difference between reading some schmuck from the NSW/QLD Border in the US of A 'expereincing sulfur' with this strain and credible sources experiencing sulfur. Turns out the credible source, (WYEAST, not you) says the exact opposite of what you're preaching. imagine that! :rolleyes:

Sulphur - real bad rotten eggs... This is not just the starter - primary ferment is worse... Though looking at your reply from Wyeast, I wonder what I am doing that is causing this. Not that I view it as a problem - I long ago accepted that this yeast smells bad...

Sulphur - real bad rotten eggs... This is not just the starter - primary ferment is worse... Though looking at your reply from Wyeast, I wonder what I am doing that is causing this. Not that I view it as a problem - I long ago accepted that this yeast smells bad...

Your wrong, Stu - Foreskinstar says so, because Wyeast told him. :lol: Doesn't matter what your experience tells you.

And if you keep smelling sulphur I'm afraid you'll be told to grow up. Lookout.

I LOLed and I only usually LOL at Avatars with lame vampires in them.

Nick, grow up mate! Now i suppose you're going to say wyeast are wrong.

There is a BIG difference between reading some schmuck from the NSW/QLD Border in the US of A 'expereincing sulfur' with this strain and credible sources experiencing sulfur. Turns out the credible source, (WYEAST, not you) says the exact opposite of what you're preaching. imagine that! :rolleyes:

What's a "significant" amount of sulphur, Forestar? Is that a US Customary unit?

I find my nose can smell 3.42 significant units of sulfur, especially when I let rip under the sheets and let it stew a little.

Back