Adding nutrient directly to wyeast 3068 starter after smackdown fail

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
I was given a pack of 3068 and a comment was made that it was already quite large and probably already smacked somehow. I felt around the pack and didn't feel the nutrient reserve so decided that yeah, it had been smacked but thought I'd roll the dice and just add it to the starter as-is.

During brewtime later that day, I dumped the yeast into the flask on top of 1.5L of 18c wort and then had a sneak peak in the packet to find the nutrient packet in tact! duh!

So I added the nutrient directly to the starter and got it on the stirplate. Have I done something horrible, will it survive?

Nothing wrong with that. The yeast and nutrients all made it into the starter so all is good. Wy3068 is very robust and can survive almost anything.

I thought I read on the Wyeast site that it is advisable to add the content of the yeast nutrient pack to the starter, but can't seem to find it now (may be I read it somewhere else). In any case a little extra nutrient can't hurt.

thanks fellas - very interesting and good to know! If I didn't mess things up I'd never learn nothing!

Latest posts

Back