3068 starter need a lot of head space?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But why do you consider 2 litres for 100ml of yeast the 'minimum for growth'? Using Yeastcalc shows that a 100b cell pack of yeast that's only 10% viable would grow from 10b cells to 43b cells in a 1 litre starter...or 59b cells in a 2 litre starter. Obviously 2 litres of starter wort will allow for more growth, but if 1 litre gives you the growth you need to achieve your optimum cell count, why bother with more?

carniebrew said:
But why do you consider 2 litres for 100ml of yeast the 'minimum for growth'? Using Yeastcalc shows that a 100b cell pack of yeast that's only 10% viable would grow from 10b cells to 43b cells in a 1 litre starter...or 59b cells in a 2 litre starter. Obviously 2 litres of starter wort will allow for more growth, but if 1 litre gives you the growth you need to achieve your optimum cell count, why bother with more?
I don't.

But 100B cells into 1L does not give you any growth (can't actually check now tho)

But 10% viability means 1L will give you plenty of growth, but too much lag, which is why it's better to go 500 then 1000

I'm a bit lost still, according to Yeastcalc 100b cells in a 1 litre starter will result in 151 cells, and that's with no shaking. Using a stir plate would increase that to 227 billion. So there seems to be plenty of growth available even in a 1 litre starter?

Regardless, I was starting with 35 billion, and wanted around 80 billion, so a 1 litre starter was perfect for that need.

I made a Weizen 10 days ago with 3068; OG1050, 1L starter, pitched at 17C, fermented at 17C, big blow off into the lid...
Was at 1.012 after 5 days and sits at about 19C since. Good banana and spiciness, something funny in the background though that I hope will vanish soon or with carb...

What I am wondering is whether to chill now to aid flocculation or just bottle as is - there is heaps of yeast in suspension and I think dropping out at least some would help. Opinions?
Cheers
V

chill it mate, it doesn't just drop out yeast it also drops out other not so tasty compounds in suspension, you will still have enough yeast for style.

Which do you prefer, a kristallweizen or a hefeweizen? I prefer the latter so say bottle it. It's supposed to be served "mit hefe", i.e. with the yeast in suspension. It'll keep dropping/clearing in the bottle too don't forget, so you can choose whether or not to roll your bottle before serving.

I'm with carnie on this one. By the time it's carbed up the not so tasty compounds will either be aborbed by the yeast or will drop to the bottom anyway. I didn't chill either of my last two batches with 3068 and they taste great and only have thin layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle (~ 0.5 mm) but a perfect amount in suspension. I did leave them in the fermentor for two weeks though instead of bottling as soon as SG was stable. That helps a lot with getting rid of unwanted flavour compounds.

Agreed, my last dunkel, which is the first I've made that's been truly spot on compared to the commercial examples, was in the fermenter for 17 days. 17C for the first 7, where it stopped at 1019 (from a 1055 start), then 19C for the next 10 days, where it only dropped another point (I had 300gm of 3 different crystal malts in a 13l batch).

Cheers guys! I think I will go with letting it sit for some longer then at 19C and possibly chill for a couple of days before bottling.

This one will be rolled and served in the proper tall glass!

Back