300-400 Litre Brewing System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are hoping to open March 31. It is going to be a great venue for the locals as well as tourists as its at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road. We are helping to spread the craft beer love to Geelong and the Surf Coast!!

I lool forward to checking out your place when its all up and running...what time frame are you expecting to be operating? Will be a great spot to get business in the holiday periods...

Could I ask how much you expend to spend setting up this operation?

Batz

We are hoping to open March 31. It is going to be a great venue for the locals as well as tourists as its at the beginning of the Great Ocean Road. We are helping to spread the craft beer love to Geelong and the Surf Coast!!

Wow March 31st this year? better make your mind up pretty quickly if you are looking to actually brew for the opening.?

Wow March 31st this year? better make your mind up pretty quickly if you are looking to actually brew for the opening.?

Yep it's got me rather amazed, but wishing you all well and please keep up here informed on how it's progressing. Your doing something many of us have dreamed about, and on a budget.

batz

Too right! That's with nothing going wrong.

Everything else is in place and tracking nicely. We are hoping to have the brew system installed within the first 2 months of opening. The main focus of the venue is all other craft beers from Around Aus and NZ which is sorted and we are only hoping to brew small batch brews out the back to cater for one to two taps max. Yep the brew system is still a bit to organise but the rest of the venue is on track for the opening including our initial tap range which majority of craft breweries are very keen to be involved in. I think the best option may be to go with a Braumeister 200 initially as its a quick easy setup and readily available. In the end its the quality of the beer that matters!!

Thanks again for everyones ideas and input. it is greatly appreciated along with the support. I will spread the word once we open...which will hopefully be on time!!

CHeers,

Grant

Too right! That's with nothing going wrong.

Braumeister 200 landed, set-up and brewing in 29 days, no one can say your not keen! If you can do that I'll order some of your first brew..........there you've got a customer already.

best of luck, I'm with you all the way.

batz

Thanks Batz. It has been many years of planning and dreaming plus plenty of research to get to here. The venue itself has been our main focus initially to make sure it is up to standard and gives us the best chance of success. The only thing that has taken longer then anticipated to work out is the brew system. We reckon we have a great venue in a great place with a fantastic vision.. that is to give people a craft beer experience/journey and show just how good beer can be!

We will be looking to have guest brewers come and put small limited release batches on our system (once we get it) We will have professional brewers from craft breweries but we will also look at giving quality home brewers a chance to create a beer and have it on tap at our venue for a limited time.. If it sells well then we will give further chances to impress. I reckon most home brewers would jump at the chance to get their speciality beer on tap at a craft beer venue.. your thoughts?

Cheers,

Grant

Yep it's got me rather amazed, but wishing you all well and please keep up here informed on how it's progressing. Your doing something many of us have dreamed about, and on a budget.

batz

Ha ha yep i know i am crazy but it doesnt have to be within a month however i reckon we could do it based on some convos i have had already with suppliers. I have a couple of brewers lined up to crack into it... Realistically we wont have a brew on until the 3 month period... We will still call ourselves Odyssey Tavern & Brewery as we are not going to go changing the signs 3 months in.. there has been wore things done then that over the years in relation to marketing beer!!

you may have to come down from QLD and be a guest brewer.. We can call it the Batz Odyssey Ale!!

Braumeister 200 landed, set-up and brewing in 29 days, no one can say your not keen! If you can do that I'll order some of your first brew..........there you've got a customer already.

best of luck, I'm with you all the way.

batz

So is that 200l kit a glorified BIAB? If so, how do you manage your mash and lauter properly?

Scotty

Bloody hell /// way to put a man down....

Thought you might be a bit more supportive. If you bother to search, there are many multiple threads on the Braumiester.

Sheesh.

Mind you if that IS your brewery up for sale in the OP then I forgive you slightly.

Bloody hell /// way to put a man down....

Thought you might be a bit more supportive. If you bother to search, there are many multiple threads on the Braumiester.

Sheesh.

Mind you if that IS your brewery up for sale in the OP then I forgive you slightly.

Didn't realise i was putting anyone down, just asking a question more so?

Scotty

'glorified BIAB' was the term that highlighted it to me... However, like everything I ever say, just an opinion!

Realistically, a 200L batch is not much different to the 50 odd L I brew every couple of weeks. It will be slightly variable, but in reality, what proper craft brewery doesn't have some variation, either seasonal or every batch!

Not trying to be a hater ///....

:)

EDIT: Personally, I think of the Braumiester as more BIAB with HERMS than a 'true BIAB'

Attached is a document from a vendor in the US you might find useful.

I suggest you farm out production for the first couple of batches until you get the product tried and tested then move the reciepe to your own equipment.
This will allow you to establish you own brand and get consistency without having to also deal with leaning the performence of a new system.

Good Luck

BOG

View attachment PubTechDescription_1_.pdf

'glorified BIAB' was the term that highlighted it to me... However, like everything I ever say, just an opinion!

Realistically, a 200L batch is not much different to the 50 odd L I brew every couple of weeks. It will be slightly variable, but in reality, what proper craft brewery doesn't have some variation, either seasonal or every batch!

Not trying to be a hater ///....

:)

EDIT: Personally, I think of the Braumiester as more BIAB with HERMS than a 'true BIAB'

Oh, I forgot to not press the BIAB sensitivity button ;) . Far from a hater of any system, and not wanting to cause an international incident and derailing the thread by any comments on the method, so lets leave things right there ey'.

I priced out doing a 200l system using the Blichmann kit and it was about $4.5k for the brewhouse and another $1500 for 3 x 400l FV's for our test brewery. High Gravity brewing means you can do between 250l and 350l of cast wort (gravity depending) per batch ... hard thing though is managing cast wort temperature and fermentation temp (without a dedicated fermentation room).

The Blichman false bottoms and good milling gives beautiful clear worts as well ...

Scotty

Sorry Scott, you've mistaken me for a BIABer. Hard to believe, I know, but I have a 3V HERMS. ;)

Anyway, didn't mean to offend, just seemed a harsh comment in the scheme of things...!

Cheers and beers

Attached is a document from a vendor in the US you might find useful.

I suggest you farm out production for the first couple of batches until you get the product tried and tested then move the reciepe to your own equipment.
This will allow you to establish you own brand and get consistency without having to also deal with leaning the performence of a new system.

Good Luck

BOG

Sorry,I disagree with this advise entirely. If you want or need to outsource production your options are limited no matter where you are in Australia, and the work involved when shifting brew houses is significant. I've brewed at 6 sites, currently across 3 sites and it is a bloody tough job ensuring stability of production and consistency at just 1 site let alone moving production.

Whilst we are dropping names I'd contact DME, IDD, Wachland, Farra, Microdat, AAA Stainless. All will far exceed the budget for what you can build yourself at this size.

Scotty

Oh, I forgot to not press the BIAB sensitivity button ;) . Far from a hater of any system, and not wanting to cause an international incident and derailing the thread by any comments on the method, so lets leave things right there ey'.

I priced out doing a 200l system using the Blichmann kit and it was about $4.5k for the brewhouse and another $1500 for 3 x 400l FV's for our test brewery. High Gravity brewing means you can do between 250l and 350l of cast wort (gravity depending) per batch ... hard thing though is managing cast wort temperature and fermentation temp (without a dedicated fermentation room).

The Blichman false bottoms and good milling gives beautiful clear worts as well ...

Scotty

Fermentation temps are easy to maintain with conicals with built in heating / cooling systems. They are hardly "crazy" expensive.

you may have to come down from QLD and be a guest brewer.. We can call it the Batz Odyssey Ale!!

Be happy too do that, you might like my Far Kin Lager?

batz

Whats a 200 litre Braumeister worth?

Latest posts

Back