3 Ring Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quincy I'd wait for the nasa if you've decided to go that way or get the same model burner as Sosman got from Gameco. For the price of the 4 ring I think you might as well go HP burner.

Do a search for Sosman and burner and you should be able to find it or else go to his site here: http://www.metrak.com/wiki/homebrew/moin.cgi/BrewPotStand

The Gameco is a different burner to the NASA but both do the job by all acounts. You should be able to get a model number off this site or Sosmans site to help you out.

Cheers, Justin-still using his 3 ring but boiled with electric hand held 2400W element for most of the boil on the weekend and loved it. Maybe I should go electric :rolleyes:

Try Auscrown for the burner, they are cheaper than Gameco. I have one and from what I have read about the nasa they are much the same. You could always step it up and get the HP200 :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

This thread has prices.

quincy said:
Just to give an update.

Decided to give in to the force and buy a nasa burner.
I have rang Globe Imports and they have run out of stock and are looking at least a 2 month lead time.
So, rang G&G to find they had also run out of stock. They source the nasa from Globe, so same story there.
Rang Gameco in Sydney and spoke to their rep who was on the road so didn't know prices etc. Also, he didn't quite understand what a turkey burner was and my desciption was probably a bit vague. He will send pictures etc tomorrow but I have a feeling they don't actually stock them :( We'll see.

I seem to have three options left:

1. Try to get a nasa from somewhere ;) but it seems that may prove difficult.
2. 4 ring burner. Advantage is that these use a LP reg. $94 with stand included.
3. Mongolian. Have some disadvantages re sooting on low heat etc but they also use a LP reg. $85 no stand.

Decisions, decisions.

Cheers
[post="87176"][/post]​

The Gameco one is MOB-CF-5B FREE STANDING WOK BURNER HIGH PRESSURE C/W BOWL

http://www.gameco.com.au/cat2000/burners.htm

Did somebody mention it also has a pilot burner? :chug:

I think I paid a lot less than that for my 4-ring. There's no stand as such, it is all solid.

burner.gif

Gough said:
G'day Quincy,

I use a 3 ring Burner with an adjustable regulator. I boil 30-32 litres each brew. I have no trouble whatsoever getting a roiling boil, and quite quickly, and I am brewing outside. I start heating while sparging using just the smallest of the three rings initially, ramping it up as the kettle fills. From sparges end to rolling boil takes 10-15 minutes max. Once boiling I turn the largest of the three rings completely off. IMHO a 3 ring will do you fine. NASA burners sound great, but I'm happy with what I'm using and will only change once I'm boiling a lot more wort than 30 litres. The key is the adjustab;e regulator though. Without it a standard reg takes a L-O-N-G time... Here's a few pics of the boil including the pretty full on 'break' I had that day so you can see it is quite a strong boil, even with just the two rings:

View attachment 4614View attachment 4613

View attachment 4609

Hope that helps,

Shawn.
[post="86762"][/post]​

I successfully use the NASA on my HLT and the 3 ring (the same as your one pictured) on my wort boiler. The NASA is good for quickly getting your HLT up to strike temp. The 3 ring allows a little more control.

nice set up by the way ;)

Thanks Devo :lol:

My 3 ring looks exactly like Wortgames 4 ring just with one less ring. Same colour etc. Has done 18 months worth of brews and not missed a beat. From memory it cost $35 or thereabouts and the adjustable regulator cost $35 as well. And just like Spinal Tap's amps it goes all the way to 11 :beerbang: :lol:

Shawn.

Did somebody mention it also has a pilot burner?

Yeah its got a pilot light.

Does a good job too. I'll have to time my next boil to see how long it takes to bring to the boil

Jazman:
"have a 3 ring too on hlt and used it before i got me nasa i say get the nasa it saves time..
the ring with and adjustble regualator works fine and it just takes a while to get ot hot break but is easy to control with 2 rings on after that but u must have a blue flame not a yellow one or then u get a lot of soot.."

How do you get a blue flame on a standard 3 ring burner....mine was yellow on Saturday with LOADS of soot? Do the burners holes need a clean?

Cheers
Steve

Jazman:
"have a 3 ring too on hlt and used it before i got me nasa i say get the nasa it saves time..
the ring with and adjustble regualator works fine and it just takes a while to get ot hot break but is easy to control with 2 rings on after that but u must have a blue flame not a yellow one or then u get a lot of soot.."

How do you get a blue flame on a standard 3 ring burner....mine was yellow on Saturday with LOADS of soot? Do the burners holes need a clean?

Cheers
Steve

Open up the valves fully (the screw-rings at the bottom), if it is still sooty, dismantle the unit and give the jets a clean or something. There should be quite a large air gap between the shaft tubes and the screw rings, about 1 cm or so to give a blue flame. I have a problem with my 3 ring in that the centre ring goes a little sooty, but i usually turn it off during the boil anyway and run with the outer ring only.

Jazman:

Cheers
Steve

Open up the valves fully (the screw-rings at the bottom), if it is still sooty, dismantle the unit and give the jets a clean or something. There should be quite a large air gap between the shaft tubes and the screw rings, about 1 cm or so to give a blue flame. I have a problem with my 3 ring in that the centre ring goes a little sooty, but i usually turn it off during the boil anyway and run with the outer ring only.

Cheers DJR - will have a play.
Steve

Jazman:

Cheers
Steve

Kinda, off topic but here goes for the NASA burner owners, a clean works wonders for them also. The NASA really hoots after a clean. These things come painted, the cast iron burner is painted in something like the old Silver Frost and the stand in some heat RESISTANT black paint. The Silver stuff bubbles and sets and blocks up the burner flutes, the black just burns off. Undo the centre screw, pull the burner apart and give it a good scrub out with a wire brush and a blow out then reassemble. These things can be painted in Pot Belly Black which a self priming radiant heat resistant paint and performs a bit better than the crap original paint. Thought the NASA was good when I first used it, seemed to get a little blocked after a couple of uses and could be blown out by turning the gas up high. Cleaned it up and - Shite! now it really could power a space shuttle launch rocket. It really roars and took a lot of time off reaching boil point. Seriously - Don't take your eye off the boiler, experience speaking!

Thanks to DJR - I had blue flames on Saturday for the first time. I fully opened up the brass washer looking screw things as recommended. No more yellow flames or soot.
Cheers
Steve

Thanks to DJR - I had blue flames on Saturday for the first time. I fully opened up the brass washer looking screw things as recommended. No more yellow flames or soot.
Cheers
Steve

Good one - they're hardy little buggers those 3-rings. Good value too for $40 and a spare BBQ regulator.

Indeed they are. And they provide more than enough heat to stir-fry in a wok!

Latest posts

Back