3 Ring Burner, Yellow Flame

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
I have been doing partial mashes in a 12lt pot on my 3 ring burner for ages now with no problems.
Did a test run with my new 50lt ss pot with 20lt water (to check plumbing), and after a while the middle two rings started burning with yellow flames with the outer ring still blue.
The air vents are fully open on all of them.
I tried all the rings on their own but only the outer ring would burn blue
What am I missing here ??

* Close the air rings a little. Full open is not always the best.
* Remove the taps, check for blockage of gas with grease. My 3 ring had only 30% of the gas path clear until I disassembled and cleaned it.
* Get more gas pressure (medium pressure reg).

I have been doing partial mashes in a 12lt pot on my 3 ring burner for ages now with no problems.
Did a test run with my new 50lt ss pot with 20lt water (to check plumbing), and after a while the middle two rings started burning with yellow flames with the outer ring still blue.
The air vents are fully open on all of them.
I tried all the rings on their own but only the outer ring would burn blue
What am I missing here ??

Hmm.. I've got one of the BBQ galore 3 ring burners. I set mine up starting from the outside and working in.

The valves aren't all 100% open, but somewhere in between.

Having said that, I still get some yellow flame sometimes.

could be a bad batch of gas. some imnpurities in or something. most likely to be gunk in the burner.

How far above the burner is the pot? I've noticed some soot on the bottom of my kettle above my 3-ring burner - an indication of incomplete burning, same as the yellow flame. If opening the air-vents further doesn't work, I'd suggest raising the pot a bit higher somehow to allow more oxygen to the flame. I believe this is what I need to do when I can be bothered :p

To get a good, hot, blue flame you need the fuel to be pre-mixed with air, so as said above check for blockages.

I'll check out the burner tonight when I get home for gunk, blockages. It started all of a sudden about half way to the boil. I noticed some carbon buildup on the bottom of the pot.
Could this happen if the gas in the bottle is getting low, which it was.
And it is a BBQ galore burner

I should have read your post more closely Mantis, Sorry mate.

But I still do suspect it's the gas bottle getting close to empty and not anything more sinister simply because it was good up until somewhere thru your test boil and then started buring yellow. Not to sure who taught me that one but whether it's the BBQ, camper stove or the ring burner they all seem to burn yellow and sooty at the end of the tank?

I should have read your post more closely Mantis, Sorry mate.

But I still do suspect it's the gas bottle getting close to empty and not anything more sinister simply because it was good up until somewhere thru your test boil and then started buring yellow. Not to sure who taught me that one but whether it's the BBQ, camper stove or the ring burner they all seem to burn yellow and sooty at the end of the tank?

Thats ok Chappo

And I empathise with your sig btw :beer:

I had the same problem when I went up to 50l pot. So raised the burner with some cement sheeting on the feet, then I sat the pot on three besa blocks. Youll be sweet mate.

Latest posts

Back