3 Recipes....advice please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNU

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I've not been brewing this year, but looking to change that this week. Going to put down 3 brews at once to break the dry spell. Here are the ingredients on hand

5kg Light Dry Malt
1kg Dark Dry Malt
500g Medium Crystal Malt
200g Choclate Malt
1 Coopers Pale Ale Kit
1 US05 yeast
25g Centennial
25g Galaxy
100g Cascade
100g Azacca

So I was thinking of being a bit lazy and just doing a hop tea of 3L and adding it to a kit can. Obviously I'll need some extra ingredients.

1# - Dark Ale
Coopers Pale Kit
1kg of Dark Dry Malt
200g of Chocolate malt
US05
Maybe some hops?
Steep Malt at 70 degrees in 3L of water for 30mins, remove grain and boil for 10mins. Mix and top up to 23L and ferment at 18 degrees

2# - Pale Ale
Coopers Pale Kit
1.5kg of Light Dry Malt
200g of Medium Crystal malt
US05
Cascade & Galaxy
Steep crystal at 70 degrees in 3L of water for 30mins, remove grain and boil for 10mins. Remove from heat and add 25g of Cascade & 25g of Galaxy, allow to sit for 30mins and strain into FV. Mix and top up to 23L and ferment at 18 degrees. Dry hop with 50g of Cascade, 5days from bottling.

3# - Easy Ale
Coopers Candian Kit
1kg of Light Dry Malt
200g of Medium Crystal malt
US05
Azacca
Steep crystal at 70 degrees in 3L of water for 30mins, remove grain and boil for 10mins. Remove from heat and add 30g of Azacca, allow to sit for 30mins and strain into FV. Mix and top up to 23L and ferment at 18 degrees. Dry hop with 15g of Cascade & 15g of Azacca, 5days from bottling.

Any advice is welcome.

Steep Malt at 70 degrees in 3L of water for 30mins, remove grain and boil for 10mins. Mix and top up to 23L and ferment at 18 degrees

1 yeast sachet for each brew. I've got to grab more kits and yeast. Wondering what else I might need

Shopping and brewing tomorrow. Any other advice?

FWIW,
I'd shift your galaxy in the 2nd beer to a dry hop addition.
Use some cascade in the first brew, the dark ale.
Did you want the dark ale to be a simple malt-driven beer, or a hoppy one. If hoppy, use more cascade and some centennial, both in the steep/boil and as dry hop.
Maybe steep 100g crystal in the dark ale, as well as the chocolate.
Could also use some Azacca in the Dark ale, either as steep or dry.
NB: the "easy ale" is likely to turn out similar to the "pale ale". Not a bad thing, just pointing it out in case it's not what you want. If so, maybe drop the crystal, or replace with carapils.
Just suggestions. what you've got should be fine as is.

EDIT: if you need to buy more yeast, maybe consider some different yeast options. US-05 is probably best for the latter 2, but if you want a malt-driven dark ale, you could try one of the more English yeasts, maybe look at the Mangrove Jacks selection. Are you limited to dry yeasts?

Dark Ale if you need a dry yeast i would suggest Nottingham.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll grab a S-04 for the dark and either dry hop with 30g of cascade or add some vanilla extract.

For the pale ale I'll switch the hops in the steep for the dry hop.

Figured the easy would be similar to the pale. So I'll give it a shot without the crystal.

Back