3 Day Carb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I usually carb my kegs over 1 week at serving pressure through the liquid post and it works a treat...

however i've got a mate's 30th birthday party to cater for in a couple weeks...

i'll have 2 kegs i can use my usual carbing process for but there'll be another two kegs i'm going to have to carb up in 3 or 4 days...

i've read somewhere about a 3 day carbing process, but i cannot find it now... i've done a few searches but searches don't like me...

i've also tried force carbing a couple times and it didn't like me either...

so if i put my 2 'short time' kegs on at about 40-50 psi through the liquid post does anyone reckon it will reach carbonation in 3 days? (they'll be at around 2-3 Celsius...

cheers.

there are many ways to do it. There is the force carb or "ross" method where you put 300psi in for 50-60secs.

there is one tony told me about you hook the keg up at serving pressure with connected to beer out and turn keg on its side rest on your knees and sway it back and forth till you cant here bubbles going into the beer, let it sit for 10mins and do it again, then just connect to the gas and serve. But i found both methods improve greatly if you leave them connected to the beer out at serving pressure for a few days you can serve straight away and it will foam but wont hold it. this method is good as you cannot over carb your beer as it wont take in any more co2 then the regs set at, unlike the force carb where you can over carb it easy.

There is also a method where you connect it to beer out at higher then serving pressure for about 3 day? not sure what psi but 180 comes to mind (could be wrong as never done it) as the beer carbonated faster as the co2 is forced from the bottom causing it to travel threw the beer and it will carb faster. I server mine at 80psi but I need to ballance the lines a bit more and find if i force carb a keg and it over carbs it makes the other one over carbed lol so it takes a bit to get used to

I think the easiest way is get the keg cold,
Then 3 bar (44psi) for 24hours.

Then drop back to serving pressure and vent any extra pressure from the keg.
The beer will be ok to drink after the 24 hours, but over the next day or two will improve.

QldKev

What QldKev said sounds about right. I'm experimenting with the same thing and my last keg was nicely carbed after 2 days at 25psi

The beer will be ok to drink after the 24 hours, but over the next day or two will improve.

QldKev

I tend to find this method very reliable for quick force carbing. Rocking, shaking etc can be a bit hit and miss in my experience. 300kpa for 24 hrs is just about spot on for me.

I tend to find this method very reliable for quick force carbing. Rocking, shaking etc can be a bit hit and miss in my experience. 300kpa for 24 hrs is just about spot on for me.

This works well for me too. :beer:

i'm a very impatient man, my beer is carbed in 5 minutes. i put gas in on its normal post at 40 psi, place keg on its side on the ground, one hand on base and other on a handle and rock it vigorously :rolleyes: . release excess pressure and taste test brew. is this a bad thing to do? what happens when a beer is over carbed?

i'm a very impatient man, my beer is carbed in 5 minutes. i put gas in on its normal post at 40 psi, place keg on its side on the ground, one hand on base and other on a handle and rock it vigorously :rolleyes: . release excess pressure and taste test brew. is this a bad thing to do? what happens when a beer is over carbed?

My first few kegs were over carbed. Just a pain in the butt and time consuming to get it back to normal. In my experience, if it is over carbed you won't be able to pour a beer as you will only get froth/head and when the head finally subsides you will have almost flat beer.

To fix this all I did was burp the keg and shake the crap out of it. Let sit a little bit (very angry beer inside) then repeat until the right pressure is reached. It is so much easier if you get it right the first time though.

I hook the gas up at serving pressure, lie the keg down so the gas in is on the bottom & rock it until it's carbed. No chance of overcarbing, carbed beer in about 15 minutes.

I hook the gas up at serving pressure, lie the keg down so the gas in is on the bottom & rock it until it's carbed. No chance of overcarbing, carbed beer in about 15 minutes.

Hi

How do you know "until it's carbed"?

Cheers

Rock it until you can't hear it any more. Once you can't hear bubbling she's good to go.

yeah i've done this a few times, when a bit keen to sample... "the slipper method"... with gas attached at serving pressure through the gas inlet, lay the keg on the ground with a towel or something under (optional). Make sure the gas inlet is closest to the ground. Sit on a chair and put 1 foot on the keg rolling it back and worth till you can no longer hear the gas bubbling through. Attach to tap... done!

Carbed beer at your desired CO2 volume... with very little effort
:icon_cheers:

QldKev

this sounds great to me and my time frame...

in my head i like the concept of carbing through the liquid out post...

does anyone else do through the liquid post? or does it do it fine through the gas post?

cheers

Gas post for me but I don't have those fancy things that attach to the barb.

hi new to the game. my first keg i put in the fridge hot at 230kpa for 48 hrs all foam. released some pressure and still pours foam for half a glass. any suggestions? when rocking the keg is it hot or cold?

Cold. Something about co2 going into cold beer better than hot beer.

Bulk priming with sugar will save gas but you won't be able to drink it as soon, obviously don't keep the keg in the fridge if yr priming with sugar.

Latest posts

Back