2nd fermentation of a kit & Kilo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yowie4815

Reaction score
I've just put a Morgan's Blue Mountain lager in the fermenter. Is it worth putting through a secondary fermentation to clean it up a bit?

If it was me I wouldn't brother.

What type of yeast and what temperature are you brewing at?

I'd try and get the temp down somehow. Waterbath wet towel or something like that. That kit was one of my favorites and I think the kit yeast is a true lager. 24C is too high. Maybe around 18ish would scrape through unscathed.

If you have it at 24 degrees you don't need to do anything to clean itself up. Just after final specific gravity has been reached, leave it for several more days. It will also clean itself up in the bottle while bottle conditioning.

Normally a true lager is brewed from 10-14 degrees. Near the end of fermentation when it is nearly finished, the temperature is raised to ale brewing temperatures to help the yeast clean up any undesirable bi-products that they would not have been able to cope with in the 10-14 degree range.

Vini2ton said:
I'd try and get the temp down somehow. Waterbath wet towel or something like that. That kit was one of my favorites and I think the kit yeast is a true lager. 24C is too high. Maybe around 18ish would scrape through unscathed.
+1 to this. Even an ale yeast is gonna sweat out some unpleasant flavors working at those temps. Getting it down to 12 - 14'c would be better but even at 18'c you'll end up with something akin to a california steam ale. I understand that they're brewed on lager yeasts at ale temperatures.

Get the temp down as quick as you can.
What's your understanding of a secondary fermentation?

The kit instructions were ferment at 22C to 26C. It's in climate control

When fermentation is complete and you know this by measuring with a hydrometer, leave the brew 2-3 more days. Provided you are clean, sanitary and don't splash, you can transfer the beer through a silicon hose to another fermenter, then leave that for another week close to 0-4 deg. This will remove a lot of sediment.
You don't need to transfer (although the cold period is great, even if done in the same fermenter) but it will help remove sediment. There are risks transferring - if you are aware of them and careful, it can help the beer but if you are not, it can stuff it.

Yowie4815 said:
Transfer into a second fermenter to settle any solids
I just do it in the primary fermenter for 1 week cold crashed.

Those yanks are always banging on about secondary ferments. I swear if it wasn't for us Aussies, those buggers wouldn't know how to homebrew. Have you seen their recipes? Sweet as all get out.

Back