2nd Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Churchy,

Yeast makes beer. If you put a pack of champagne yeast in your beer (no matter what mash temp) it will end up FG ~0.098.

Butters is kegging, you are bottling.

Watch those bottles.

cheers

Darren

PS Edit: As Butters seems to be such a prolific poster recently, perhaps he could provide us with his experiences regarding enzymes and yeast behavior apart from the HB scene.

Tangent, I hope you understand that I am not pontificating for any other reason but to help educate.

this crap about who knows best is not helping any one.

If you have scientific fact please put it forward to help churchy understand otherwise please refrain from Trolling

Muckey,

Not trolling mate. Just stating facts.

1.018 all-grain beer + sugar drops = bottle bombs.

Happy to hear your evidence against.

cheers

Darren

Enzyme: Beta Amylase Alpha Amylase

Optimum Temp Range: 55-65C 67.8-72.2C

From the above you can see that the OP's mash in temperature of 74 degrees celsius gave favor to the Alpha Amylase Enzyme, in fact at this temperature Beta-Amylase is de-natured. These conditions would lead to a wort much higher in complex(long-chain)/less fermentable sugars then a standard mash temp of say 65 degrees celsius. Thus leading to a higher FG.

I would have thought that someone "who has plenty of practical experience with enzymes and the culture of various micro-organisms including a bit of mashing experience" would have deciphered that for himself.

If you are still unconvinced maybe you overlooked this page in the many 'beer texts' you have read..

Mashmaster,

Yes I agree that he would have a sweeter beer with that temp, BUT not 1.018 especially whilst using US56 yeast.

cheers

Darren

Ive bottled AG beers at 1018 and no bombs, stouts, porters etc :p

Rogers clone

OG 1.040, FG 1.017. US56.

Been in the bottles since July.

Not 1 bomb.

QED
Hey Smurto, (to keep it interesting) next time you crack one of these bottles, care to put some aside and take a gravity reading?

Mashmaster,

Yes I agree that he would have a sweeter beer with that temp, BUT not 1.018 especially whilst using US56 yeast.

cheers

Darren

Sweeter Beer = More residual sugar = Higher FG

Umm, as a mere novice, I'd agree with Darren? The high FG means there's more to come unless the remainder is not fermentable. How much of this is as a result of high strike temp? Don't know - is there a proof formula anywhere?

Sure it wasn't a stuck ferment or the like? US05 does chew em up..

Cheers - Mike

Umm, as a mere novice, I'd agree with Darren? The high FG means there's more to come unless the remainder is not fermentable. How much of this is as a result of high strike temp? Don't know - is there a proof formula anywhere?

Cheers - Mike

My thinking is that the remainder of the sugars are unfermentable due to the high strike temperature..

When you mash at high temperatures this favours the creation of longer chain sugars/dextrins which are not as readily fermentable by beer yeasts.

If you were to drop some champagne yeast in as Darren suggested it would chew through the residual sugars until they were all gone.

But in this case my money is on fermentation being complete and the OP having no problems with bottle bombs.

Cheers - Mike

The following give some ideas regarding high mash temp and their relationship to FG as well as the use of specialty grains, OP has not provided recipe so have no way of calculating FG other than to expect it to be higher than normal due to high mash temp.

Quote from another site
"Attenuation is the amount of gravity that disappears.� Hence, if the attenuation is 75%, and your starting gravity is 49, the final gravity will be 49 � 0.75 x 49 = 12, or a specific gravity of 1.012.� Note that the Wyeast chart shows a range of attenuation.� For American Ale 1056 for example it ranges from 73% to 77%. This is because the mashing process and grain types affect the fermentability. Extract brews will hit the higher end of this range. All-grain mashes will be somewhat lower. High mash temperatures add to final gravity. Subtract a percent from the attenuation for each two degrees above 150oF. Adding dextrin malts, and to a lesser extent, crystal or Munich malt raises the final gravity. Subtract a per-cent for each pound of crystal or Munich malt and subtract two percent for each pound of dextrin malt."

My thinking is that the remainder of the sugars are unfermentable due to the high strike temperature..

When you mash at high temperatures this favours the creation of longer chain sugars/dextrins which are not as readily fermentable by beer yeasts.

If you were to drop some champagne yeast in as Darren suggested it would chew through the residual sugars until they were all gone.

But in this case my money is on fermentation being complete and the OP having no problems with bottle bombs.

Agree with RetsamHsam, but getting back to the OP's original question, what to expect from this beer, butters answered that at post #2 saying to expect more sweetness and malt flavours due to the low attenuation.
Given that we can explain the high FG I think there is no more chance of bottle bombs with this batch than any other and if the OP is like most others on here he will try a bottle after a week anyway and will soon know if he has a potential problem.

Nige

Bottle primed with dex - how much i dont know as i didnt write anything down. I kegged 19L and bottled the remaining 6L.

I gave the last bottle away a few weeks ago to Rehnton so if he hasnt already imbibed it i will see if he can take an SG reading. Would be interesting to see if it has dropped. I dont recall it being over primed tho.

EDIT - it was judged in SABSOSA and the comments re carbonation and head retention were very good (entered as an American brown ale)

Back