2lt cubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosco

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get 2-3lt cubes? For putting the last of the wort in form making starters. Something that can take hot wort so I can no chill and store it.

I've seen a few people on here using them. Just wondering where they got em from.

Every time I bring this subject up it gets shot down saying it's pointless :/

What about the Coles homebrand white vinegar bottles?

I'm fairly certain they're LDPE (not PET) and you get a 2L bottle for $1.20 plus free vinegar!

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/coles-smart-buy-vinegar-white

4524127.jpg

I'd go down this path if I could find the right container. I don't keep DME. I have enough ingredients about already and if your making a batch of something making an extra litre or two means very little at the end of the day. Though I would probably knock out a low OG batch for purpose and fill 10- 15 bottles, job done for 6-12 months.

I used to use 2lt pickling jars (make sure its heat resistant - borosilicate glass), fill with hot tap water first, then tip that and fill with boiling water, then tip that and fill with wort. then seal.

Still break when you drop them though.

Which I why I say 'used to...'

Over on Reddit I started a discussion in /r/homebrew about it a year or so ago, a lot of people blabbered on about botulism due to no chilling and no hops
I think 1 or 2 pellets of a very neutral bittering hop would be enough to counteract any fears

Could just put it into a pot ( even reduce it down if wanting less volume) and let it cool enough with the lid on to then put into plastic soft drink bottles and store in freezer. Quick boil in the flask and ready to roll.

Freezing would be a good option except i dont have any freezer space plus im trying to avoid boiling. Ive been using dme but trying to keep the peace as much as possible. Trying to save time as well. I like the idea of getting some value out of the dregs from the kettle too.

I was really surprised at how much they cost. You can buy 20-25lt cubes for half the price. I might have to go to Coles later and check the bottle out. Otherwise ill give plasdene a call.

mofox1 said:
What about the Coles homebrand white vinegar bottles?

I'm fairly certain they're LDPE (not PET) and you get a 2L bottle for $1.20 plus free vinegar!

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/coles-smart-buy-vinegar-white

4524127.jpg
I just went to Coles ;)

The recycling symbol on the bottom has a 2 in it and there's also a 3 on there.

Oh and it also says HDPE lol. Unless someone more informed than me can tell otherwise then i guess thats as close to a confirmation that its hdpe as i am gonna get.

Thanks mofox

People in Plastic in Maidstone, or The Plastic Man Braeside depending on where you are. I have bought from both Polypins from The Plastic Man and heavy duty cubes from People in Plastic, both places have what you are after and I have found them to be cheap.

Most de-ionised water is sold in 2,3 o r5L HDPE bottles. Just add malt extract and shake.

Or, seeing as you want to utilise kettle waste, empty the DI H2O and fill. Being DI I doubt there would be a need for sanitation plus the added advantage of not having to drink 2L of vinegar to empty. (Waste not want not).

Aldi orange juice bottles come up a treat. I've got about 3 of them and worts been in them well over a month.

nosco said:
I just went to Coles ;)

The recycling symbol on the bottom has a 2 in it and there's also a 3 on there.

Oh and it also says HDPE lol. Unless someone more informed than me can tell otherwise then i guess thats as close to a confirmation that its hdpe as i am gonna get.

Thanks mofox
Cool - I just assumed it was LDPE going by the it's-squishier-than-my-fermenter line of thought, and I've previously bought a couple of bottles off ebay for pH buffer solution that were listed as LDPE which seemed to feel the same.

I just checked the empty bottle I've got out in the shed (was originally intending to fill it with glycerine, not wort) - Watch the caps, they're normal thin plastic bottle caps and might not seal well when boiling hot.... If I can be arsed I may fill one with boiling water to see what happens. I'll probably have to go back out to the shed at some point tonight, the beer lives there.

wide eyed and legless said:
People in Plastic in Maidstone, or The Plastic Man Braeside depending on where you are. I have bought from both Polypins from The Plastic Man and heavy duty cubes from People in Plastic, both places have what you are after and I have found them to be cheap.
If the vinegar bottles don't work out I'll give People in Plastic a call. Not to far from G&G. Some more sturdy than vinegar bottles would be good in the long run maybe. Thanks.

sp0rk said:
Over on Reddit I started a discussion in /r/homebrew about it a year or so ago, a lot of people blabbered on about botulism due to no chilling and no hops
I think 1 or 2 pellets of a very neutral bittering hop would be enough to counteract any fears
I thought the botulism argument was dead and buried spOrk. Unless your filtering your wort with grass cuttings from the mower or dirt....

I'd be wary of a vinegar bottle. Have you ever tried to clean one? I've never been able to get the taint out, also I wouldn't put anything hot in to one.

Anyone checked the plastic type on Woolworths home brand UN scented bleach bottle? They're heavy plastic, and I reckon cleaning would be easy.

Latest posts

Back