22L batch boiled back to 15L?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishpaddy

Reaction score
Ok so I followed the mountain goat receipe on here and during the rolling book stage I left the lid on, should I have left the Lid off? I feel I've done a mock of a pressure cooker and lost loads in steam over the hour?

Can I add some distilled or boiled off water to make it less concentrated I guess?

Starting out at this after a few brews done with friends...

It's sealed now with no dry hop or yeast added at the moment.... Thanks for any help, paddy

There's a lot of question there
All I know is that you should boil with the lid OFF as you want to get rid of some undesirable flavours

Should be boiling without lid to boil off volitile oils (DMS)
With the lid on you will lose less as the steam will run back into kettle along with the volitile oils
You can top up with cooled boiled water or tap water to get the OG and litres you were after

What's was your expected Gravity and your Gravity at pitching.. Did adding water to the desired level balance out the gravity to what you were hoping to achieve?

What was your starting volume?
I know with my system (BIAB, Keggle, 3 Ring Burner) I start with 33 litres and end up with around 25 litres before draining to my cube, and that finally end up around 24 litres in cube (I leave around a litre behind with the trub/hop debris in the cube)

I started a 22.5 litre batch with 22.5 litrers of water. now I think of it it sounds rediculous

Irishpaddy said:
I started a 22.5 litre batch with 22.5 litrers of water. now I think of it it sounds rediculous
there's your problem then. Just do what others have mentioned and top back up to 22.5L and bob's your fathers brother.

al

I just usually add 3 more litres at the start. so if I want 23lt I start with 26.
then end up with close to 23 at the end.

Back