2278 Czech Pils Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,I've read that book but thought a 1/2 dex1/2 malt would get around that.
I will revisit my processess and cut the dex out.

As for the 2278 do I need to process it differently than a lower temp?

I prefer to start lager yeasts at the low end of their range then bump up the temp by a degree a day once it gets going (I let it spend a day or two cool and active first). Hopefully coincide diacetyl resting temps with being around 3/4 through ferment, hold for a couple of days then a degree a day down till lagering temps.
Pitch plenty of yeast, oxygenate well.
I don't make heaps of pale lagers but this has worked well for me with a few strains.
Make your starter big, especially if pitc hing cool.

If you make a big starter (as you should) then I let it ferment out for 48 hours so the yeast have glycogen reserves and then cold crash overnight and pitch just the yeast: you don't want oxidised beer in your fermenter for a lager IMO. I pitch into the wort at 10C and then let rise to 12C over a couple of days and then do a diacetyl rest at 18C for at least 2-3 days as it approaches final gravity. In fact I tend to let it sit at 18C for a week or so to let the yeast clean up, because after this rest I cold crash rapidly to -1C and the yeast will no longer be active, so best to let it clean up first. This is my accelerated process because I only can fit one fermenter in my fermentation fridge, so need to get my lager into kegs rather quickly and then keep it at -1C for 4 weeks before drinking. It seems to work. I love 2278.

I'm interested in making an Aussie lager and later, a more classic pilsner. Would this yeast be completely out of style for an Aussie lager? Previous batch was -

4kg pilsner
0.2kg crystal
0.35kg sugaz

Cluster to about 22 IBU
Wyeast 2042 Danish lager, 13°C

Is using 2278 a worthwhile experiment? Was thinking about splitting the yeast and saving some for later. Otherwise I really enjoyed this beer so will stick to 2042 and leave the 2278 for later.

2042 would be my pick for an Aussie lager. I have used 2278 in a boh pils which worked well, but worked less well in a german pils (didn't attenuate enough to get that crisp finish).

Back