220l Plastic barrel & immersion chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkensone

Reaction score
I'm currently no chilling my wort when I've finished.

However I saw somewhere someone using a large plastic barrel along the lines of this: http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00wBctEQURqvVL/160-220L-Plastic-Barrel-Tank-Blow-Molding-Machine.jpg and circulating the wort with the stored water and a small pump, instead of using a hose which seems a great way to not waste any water. My first thought is obviously your water would be getting warmer as it circulates but do you think it could get it down to below 50c which I've heard is the main chilling required?

I'm not too keen on using an immersion chiller unless I can find a way to not waste all that water!
Thoughts/opinions would be great :D

I have the same barrels for grain storage, but the full top lid version, got them from the local rural store for cheap.

They'll do the job you want, if your worried, freeze a heap of block ice in tupperware containers or whatever and drop them into it.

I reckon you'd need a larger container than that, especially in summer when ambient water temps are higher.

Whatever you use, make sure you draw from the bottom and return to the top of the tank. That'd be the most efficient.

Plate chillers are the perfect heat transfer devices. I saw one on a jumbo the other day not much bigger than the ones we use. Was used to cool oil. If you use one plate chiller with tap water and the next one with recirculating chilled/ice water you would be able to chill to very cool temps.

Yeah absolutely would need to rig up something to draw from the bottom, just hoping to drop from 100 to 50c :unsure: but you might be right!

Yeah I've heard about that, but seems to be getting pretty complex with 2 chillers and the 'potential' issues with keeping them clean?
I'm not at this point looking to get it down to 20c just cool enough to have less effect on hop aroma which I've read is about 50c?

A container that size with block ice you've frozen previously will do this for ya. Assuming your not doing massive batches.

shaunous said:
A container that size with block ice you've frozen previously will do this for ya. Assuming your not doing massive batches.
Just ~20l at the moment, how much block ice are you thinking?

Does anyone else have a system like this, seems like a good way to never really lose any water..

But at 50°C you're then running the risk of infection. May as well get it down to pitching temps imo

I guess I'm trying to get around traditional no chilling and the effect it has on the hops, but I guess you are right :p

Most people use those brown pumps I see around is that right?

You could use a pool pump. I got a second hand one cheap from ebay and pump from one 220L drum to another through an immersion chiller. Works well but only gets the temp to about 30 degrees in about 15 mins using ambient temp water. I've also got an old water cooler I will chill the water with one day but haven't got around to it yet

if it's your house put a water tank in and use an immersion pump, just put the water back into the tank.

I put out my recycle wheelie bin a few months ago and it went missing so I rang the council and they delivered a new one next day. Two weeks later the old bin reappeared so I now use the new one for storing chiller water.

Haha nice one, free bin :)

It isn't my house unfortunately otherwise that is exactly what I would be doing!

Wilkensone said:
Haha nice one, free bin :)

It isn't my house unfortunately otherwise that is exactly what I would be doing!
They didn’t ask if it was my house or even my name when I called, just said “oh yeah they fall in to the bin lorry sometimes, what’s the address we will send you a new one.

Latest posts

Back