2206 Or 2124

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronin

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've just ordered the grain for my first lager, with a recipe based on the Helles from the Jamil show. I'm having trouble deciding between Wy2206 and Wy2124 though.

The problem is that I've done searches on this site and read heaps, but everyone says they're both good yeasts. Does anyone have an opinion as to which I should start with? Or any commercial examples that use these yeasts? I know they're both weihenstephan yeasts, but which beer uses which yeast?

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

James

2124 is VERY tolerant of high temperature and will still produce a very clean beer. If your temperature control isn't up to snuff, use 2124. That said, I have used both and I love them both. Either one will produce a stunning beer.

2124 is VERY tolerant of high temperature and will still produce a very clean beer. If your temperature control isn't up to snuff, use 2124. That said, I have used both and I love them both. Either one will produce a stunning beer.

I just got a fermenting fridge/fridgemate combo, so that's why I'm finally attempting a lager.

That's the problem, people seem to like both of them...it doesn't make the decision any easier.

I havent used either but if you like a drier finish maybe go for the 2124 and add more carapils for extra malt flavour. sounds like the 2206 is a more richer malty brew that might not finish as dry as the 2124.

I have used both and at the moment am using the 2124 and it's sensational. It stores well and fires up very easy. I split the yeast cake from a brew 6 months ago into 5 stubbies and it fired up straight away when pitched straight into the fresh wort. Both are top yeast and very similar.

Steve

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I'll go with the 2124. I guess I'll try 2206 somewhere down the road, but 2124 seems to be the more versatile yeast, at least from the wyeast description.

James

Thats what I thought too. I like the pilsners but LOOOOOVE the Oktoberfest stylr beers, and 2124 is spot on for them. Good luck.

Steve

I love both yeasts but would not use 2206 in a lighter lager again.I find the 2124 gives a cleaner crisp finish I'm after with pilsners.

2206 is just great in Helles,Oktoberfest,bocks ect.IMO in the lighter styles it added a malt background to rich for the style.But 2124 in a Helles for example probably wont affect it as much.

I love both yeasts but would not use 2206 in a lighter lager again.I find the 2124 gives a cleaner crisp finish I'm after with pilsners.

2206 is just great in Helles,Oktoberfest,bocks ect.IMO in the lighter styles it added a malt background to rich for the style.But 2124 in a Helles for example probably wont affect it as much.

I eventually do want to do some darker lagers/bocks etc. I love the weihenstephan korbinian. So I'll save the 2206 for those beers and leave the 2124 for the lighter ones. I'll play around with them eventually, but I think it's 2124 first.

Thanks,

James

Back