$22 Brewery Washer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vortex

Reaction score
We have a spare shower cubicle at our place, so I've claimed it for washing brewery gear. After using the plain jane shower head which required lifting kegs full of water up to the shower head, I knew there had to be a better (easier) way. I took a trip to Bunnings and built up a pressure washing hose which lets me easily wash and clean things with hot water in an environment that doesn't matter if I splash water around. Crank the hot tap, dial in 50c on the temp pad, and i'm washing :) I'm sure i'm not the first one to do this, but I'm super happy with it and how cheap it was to make :)

Works bloody well and makes cleaning PBW residue from the inside of kegs and fermenters easy :)

$22 Brewery Washer by auvortex, on Flickr

Here's a pic of the hose header card, available in the Shower section at Bunnings. Hose fittings are simple garden hose fittings, cut the end off the shower hose and fit a garden hose end, and then any garden hose end with an adjustable spray pattern will work too. You can do it cheaper by using hose ends and garden fittings from around home if you have them. Don't forget to remove the restrictor from the hose which will reduce the pressure, and from your shower head depending on where it's fitted.

$22 Brewery Washer by auvortex, on Flickr

Hose: $10 (ish)
Garden Hose Fitting: $2
Garden Sprayer: $10.

I have an outdoor shower and want to do the same thing, do you know what fitting you had to use to connect the hose to the shower head outlet?

crap... instantly went for the "LIKE" button.

I like the idea a lot..
Thinking outside the trub!

instead of doing that, why not just add a brass manifold to the hot water outlet in your laundry (the one that feeds the washing machine thingy) and then run a length of hose and a handheld attachment like a water gun off of that....

that's what i do, heaps cheap (most households probably already have the water gun attachment from the garden) so its a cheap ass manifold, and some pvc hose.

That's what i do, works really well for me as i brew outside near the laundry so i can clean things as i go. Saves me a lot of time at the end of the brewday when you really don't feel like cleaning anything.
The other benefit, is you don't have to walk all your shit back through the house just to clean it.

Got off my ass and went to bunnings and ended up with the following:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Found some 90 degree elbow that connects to the wall outlet then took me forever to find a fitting to go from that to 20mm for garden hose attachment.
Used some pope drinking water hose to hopefully avoid any funny tastes from washed out kegs etc.

I have an outdoor shower and want to do the same thing, do you know what fitting you had to use to connect the hose to the shower head outlet?

Good question. I took a punt on the hose, because it said it was a 'shower hose' and it was the exact size. It's probably a standard size, so if you ask the guy at Bunnings I'm sure they can tell you.

crap... instantly went for the "LIKE" button.

I like the idea a lot..
Thinking outside the trub!

Thanks mate :)

instead of doing that, why not just add a brass manifold to the hot water outlet in your laundry (the one that feeds the washing machine thingy) and then run a length of hose and a handheld attachment like a water gun off of that....

that's what i do, heaps cheap (most households probably already have the water gun attachment from the garden) so its a cheap ass manifold, and some pvc hose.

That's what i do, works really well for me as i brew outside near the laundry so i can clean things as i go. Saves me a lot of time at the end of the brewday when you really don't feel like cleaning anything.
The other benefit, is you don't have to walk all your shit back through the house just to clean it.

Also a great idea :) Where I brew is on the other side of the house unfortunately, but my brewing gear still gets cleaned outside after a brew day. I mainly use the hose in the spare shower for washing kegs and fermenters. Sometimes I'll wash a kettle in there though if I have to soak it, but that's only occasionally.

Back