20l Nc In A 25l Cube ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donburke

Reaction score
i was thinking that i could save washing an extra vessel by doing the following;

- brew 20 litres of no chill beer
- at end of boil, pour into 25 L (27 L cube) with tap already fitted
- rested on sides for 15 mins to have hot wort contact all parts of the cube
- let it no chill over 24 hours with lid on
- after 24 hours, remove lid, pitch yeast and fit airlock instead of lid

i regularly ferment in cubes, so i dont have a problem with that, but my questions are;

- is there a problem with having so much headspace in the cube whilst no chilling ?

- will the normal plastic tap hold up to the temperature ?

- has anyone done this before ? any problems encountered ?

thanks

i was thinking that i could save washing an extra vessel by doing the following;

- brew 20 litres of no chill beer
- at end of boil, pour into 25 L (27 L cube) with tap already fitted
- rested on sides for 15 mins to have hot wort contact all parts of the cube
- let it no chill over 24 hours with lid on
- after 24 hours, remove lid, pitch yeast and fit airlock instead of lid

i regularly ferment in cubes, so i dont have a problem with that, but my questions are;

- is there a problem with having so much headspace in the cube whilst no chilling ?

- will the normal plastic tap hold up to the temperature ?

- has anyone done this before ? any problems encountered ?

thanks

Can only comment on the tap situation as one of my NC cubes has a tap. No issues with handling the temps thus far.

will handle it but there is the problem that the warm cube is easier to knock the tap out. just be careful.

Just speculating, when pouring a NC cube's contents into a fermenter, I splash the wort a fair bit to aerate the wort. You'll miss this by your method, but I wonder how much difference it would make?

I also get a fair bit of sediment in my cubes which I dispose of before fermenting.

You should have no problems at all, go for it - I'd recommend fitting a blow off tube to your airlock though, as you'll have very little headspace.

cheers Ross

will handle it but there is the problem that the warm cube is easier to knock the tap out. just be careful.

thanks for the caution

note to tip on side that doesnt have the tap

Just speculating, when pouring a NC cube's contents into a fermenter, I splash the wort a fair bit to aerate the wort. You'll miss this by your method, but I wonder how much difference it would make?

I also get a fair bit of sediment in my cubes which I dispose of before fermenting.

i'll shake the crap out of it before pitching my yeast, this should help with oxygen, might not be as effective as pouring it in, but it will help

i dont get much trub in my cube, and whatever is there normally ends up in the fermenter anyway

thanks

All of my AG brews are put into the fermentor straight from the boil, although I do add a few litres of cold tap water for top up because ATM I don't have the capacity to boil full volume. This then goes into the fridge to cool, but at this stage it's still 60+ degC. I'll generally pitch yeast in about 12 hours but my last brew I forgot (was supposed to pitch this morning) so I'll be doing the 24 hrs later thang. I'd say it'll be fine, I'm hoping mine will be to but you have a sealed cube, I don't....

You should have no problems at all, go for it - I'd recommend fitting a blow off tube to your airlock though, as you'll have very little headspace.

cheers Ross

roger that, or choose my yeast and ferment temp wisely

I have put about 5 litres of hot wort into a 25L jerry - no problems. I just squished out as much air as I could and put the lid on and left it upside down for a while. A couple of months have passed and the sides of the jerry are still squished in.
FYI I ran a bit more sparge water through the grain bed (once boil volume was reached) to make some starter liquid that I did as a seperate unhopped boil.

Probably covered before by previous posters, however I'll add my voice to those in support.
Have done just that on many occasions, although I used cling film and not an airlock. Care with the tap is obviously quite important. My only worry has been that a degree of aeration can be achieved by shaking, however I am never completely sure that it is enough, and repeat the aeration a couple of times in the first day or two (remove film, recap, shake, replace film).

I've just pitched to a blue jerry cube for the first time last night... the level of wort was just up to the shoulder of vessel. This morning i had a look and it seems like i have just the right amount of head-space to not need a blow-off tube. A little bit of swelling to the clingwrap. I might make a blow-off anyway based on Wolfy's Easy Top cropping design.

I always do this as well - hot wort to 30l cube, cap, tip carefully to cover sides and top. Cool overnight to pitching temp and then shake the crap out of it with lid still on and pitch. No problems so far!

Almost every brew for me is done this way. I squeeze the air out to reduce headspace but manage to get enough back in when pitching to include my starter.

I don't use a blow-off and occassionally krausen spills out the sides. I simply clean, sanitise and replace the lid (lid is backed off a few turns for gas release).

Probably wouldn't do it with 3068 or similar though.

Latest posts

Back