2035 Stalled Lager Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WitWonder

Reaction score
OK So I've had my (AG) lager fermenting in primary for around six weeks. After dropping to 1.020 (from 1.046) and refusing to budge for about the last two of those six weeks I upped the temperature to around 15 degrees for a few days - still nothing. I lowered the temp back to around 10degrees then racked into a secondary fermenter and added some 2038 munich yeast which was at high krausen and brought the temp down to around 8 degrees. It has now been two weeks and the beer is sitting at around 1.016 :(

The beer tastes great out of the fermenter but I was brewing this for competition and wanted the FG within range for the style (premium american lager) which is 1.008-1.012. About the only thing I have left in my arsenal is some wyeast yeast nutrient unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Hmm OK well I added the nutrient on Sunday and as expected it has not budged :( Gone ahead and kegged so we'll see what it turns out like.

Plan for next time is to do a protein rest, mash for 90minutes and add some nutrient to the fermenter after the first week or so and see how that goes!

What was your mash temperature? Is your mash tun thermometer calibrated correctly?

I'm not sure it's standard practice to test competition beer FG anyway. I've certainly never seen a hydrometer on a judges table!

According to my notes, 66 degrees for the whole hour. I use a MM dial thermo plus I have a digital with a probe I drop into the top of the mash and leave it there for the duration.

Tasting this beer now and it's sickly sweet :( Oh well, neighbour beer methinks!

Back