2022 Hunter Homebrew Comp - 4th June 2022

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcavan

Reaction score
Hunted United Brewers are excited to announce the annual 2022 Hunter Homebrew Competition which will be held on Saturday 4th June at (soon to launch) Thirsty Messiah Brewery, 140 Lambton Rd, Broadmeadow.

Entries will be judged against the AABC Guidelines, closing date for entries will be Wednesday 25th May 2022.

All details regarding Styles, Prize Classes and the entry process are available on the comp website at:

Comp.hunterbrewers.com

Judges, Stewards and Volunteers can also register their interest to participate in the comp through the website, we would encourage all interested (whatever your experience level) to take part as there's plenty to learn about beer judging and appreciation.

We have a fantastic array of prizes up for grabs this year so be sure to put your best beers forward and best of luck to all entrants!

2022 Hunter Comp Flyer_v1.jpg

Hunted United Brewers are excited to announce the annual 2022 Hunter Homebrew Competition which will be held on Saturday 4th June at (soon to launch) Thirsty Messiah Brewery, 140 Lambton Rd, Broadmeadow.

Entries will be judged against the AABC Guidelines, closing date for entries will be Wednesday 25th May 2022.

All details regarding Styles, Prize Classes and the entry process are available on the comp website at:

Comp.hunterbrewers.com

Judges, Stewards and Volunteers can also register their interest to participate in the comp through the website, we would encourage all interested (whatever your experience level) to take part as there's plenty to learn about beer judging and appreciation.

We have a fantastic array of prizes up for grabs this year so be sure to put your best beers forward and best of luck to all entrants!

View attachment 121825
I can not connect to the site, security warnings.

Website still seems to be struggling. Are you able to post up here further details of the comp?

Thank you all for your patience, but boy has the wait has been worth while!
Our Sponsors have really brought their A-Game and then some.
HUB are very proud to announce that this years comp will have the biggest prize pool yet with a jaw dropping $5,125 (yes you read that correctly) in prize value to be won!!
Prizes include a mega haul of Hops, Yeast, Vouchers, A Grainfather S40, Brewing Experiences, Merchandise and of course Beer.

Our website is undergoing an overhaul to include even more Beer Styles but rest assured that it will be up and running soon and in plenty of time to register your entries in time for the closing date of 25 May 2022.
For now the new and improved Beer Style List and Class Categories (incorporating the latest 2021 BJCP Styles) can be accessed using the following link: Box

Happy brewing and may the best brews win!!
2022 Hunter Comp_Poster 50%_Online_Viewing.jpg

Last edited:
I just entered my beers in this years HUB homebrew competition. I was surprised to see I'm entrant number 1. Still 2 months to go I guess. With that huge prize pool I'm sure it will turn into a big comp. I look forward to helping out as a steward again this year, and tasting a heap of tasty beers.

I just entered my beers in this years HUB homebrew competition. I was surprised to see I'm entrant number 1. Still 2 months to go I guess. With that huge prize pool I'm sure it will turn into a big comp. I look forward to helping out as a steward again this year, and tasting a heap of tasty beers.

I'm planning on getting some bottle off the tap this week, once they're properly carbed.

Did you already mail yours / drop them off? Or just registered them?

I'm planning on getting some bottle off the tap this week, once they're properly carbed.

Did you already mail yours / drop them off? Or just registered them?
No, just registered. I haven’t started making the IIPA or Hefeweizen yet. Barley Wine is just finishing up conditioning on dry hops, so I’ve still got some work to do. I’ll drop everything off close to the closing date at the end of May.

No, just registered. I haven’t started making the IIPA or Hefeweizen yet. Barley Wine is just finishing up conditioning on dry hops, so I’ve still got some work to do. I’ll drop everything off close to the closing date at the end of May.

Nice. I just popped some Wattleseed brown ale into bottles. Hopefully they have a decent amount of time to bottle condition a bit.

I have a pale ale in the fermenter, and ingredients for another pale ale. But, I'm worried that the pale category gets a bit crowded.

Its my first time entering a competition. Any advice?

Nice. I just popped some Wattleseed brown ale into bottles. Hopefully they have a decent amount of time to bottle condition a bit.

I have a pale ale in the fermenter, and ingredients for another pale ale. But, I'm worried that the pale category gets a bit crowded.

Its my first time entering a competition. Any advice?
Nice beers. Last year was my first time entering a comp and also helping out as a steward. It was a great experience. Sitting down with the judges all day, the most common fault was guys not leaving their beer in primary long enough. The judges picked up lots of faults they said would have been cleaned up had the beer been left on the yeast a little longer.

Personally I took away a couple of good ideas. Lots of people, me included, leave too much headspace which helps the beer oxidise. I leave at most 1” now and perhaps even less. Also, to do well in the comps, your beer needs to be judged at peak drinking. So I brewed my RIS, Barley Wine and big Belgians last year so they’ll be half decent by June. My Hefe and IIPA will be finished and bottled two weeks before hand so they are in peak freshness.

You’ll get tasting notes from the judges as well, which you can use to improve your beers for next time.

I am really hoping to enter again, but havent brewed in 6 months due to home renovations. Getting the new brew area set up now. Need to get a move on.

Who’s been brewing for the comp recently? I’m just transferring my IIPA into the fermenter. This is the third time I’ve made this beer now, so I’m getting closer to what I’m aiming for.

I'm thinking about having my first ever go at a competition. I have an Australian Sparkling Ale, a Czech Premium Lager that I'm quietly happy with, and an English Strong Ale in Fermzilla at the moment. All I have to do is to summon up the courage!

No courage required. At worst you’ll get some great feedback from the judges to help improve your beer. I got a couple of tips from last year I’ve used ever since. At best you might win something. I won a bunch of different stuff for my RIS last year which I wasn’t expecting. So you might be surprised.

I'm thinking about having my first ever go at a competition. I have an Australian Sparkling Ale, a Czech Premium Lager that I'm quietly happy with, and an English Strong Ale in Fermzilla at the moment. All I have to do is to summon up the courage!

It's going to be my first competiton, too! I'm excited. Looking forward to getting a less biased review of my beer. I wanted to brew an Australian Sparkling Ale, too, but borked it and ended up with what I think most closely resembles an ESB. We'll see what the judges think.

Good luck to you! Let me know how you go. :)

Yew, i have a couple of Belgians that are approaching 12 months old so I'll have my first crack at a comp too!

I'd love some proper feedback as my friends don't like to pick my beers apart like I do.

Yew, i have a couple of Belgians that are approaching 12 months old so I'll have my first crack at a comp too!

I'd love some proper feedback as my friends don't like to pick my beers apart like I do.
What type of Belgians are you entering?

Belgians are my favourite to brew and drink. Especially the Dark Strong Ales. I’ve got a La Trappe quad clone that’s got a year of bottle age, and also a Rochefort 10 clone I’ll be entering.

You probably shouldn’t say too much about what you’re entering. People who judge are supposed to be doing so blind!
There won’t be all that many Belgians with a year or so of age on them, better to save detailed comments until after the comp.
Mark

You probably shouldn’t say too much about what you’re entering. People who judge are supposed to be doing so blind!
There won’t be all that many Belgians with a year or so of age on them, better to save detailed comments until after the comp.
Mark

Interesting! I have an Orval clone which I am labelling as an Orval clone so I don't think there's any harm in saying that. I had a read through the criteria and I think I'm better off just calling it what it is.

My other is a Dark Strong Ale... again, I won't go into details but it's being labelled as such.

I started off brewing nothing but Belgians but now love my hoppy Ipa's, although they're tricky to get right. They always taste amazing for the first week and then fade pretty quickly.

Belgians are my favourite to brew and drink. Especially the Dark Strong Ales. I’ve got a La Trappe quad clone that’s got a year of bottle age, and also a Rochefort 10 clone I’ll be entering.

That's awesome, Rochefort 10 is the reason i started home brewing. I found a local bottle shop that sells them and quickly got over paying $50 a four pack. La Trappe Quad is also amazing, i love the banana that comes off it and will being trying that soon. I also want to do a Tripel Karmeliet.

Latest posts

Back