2018 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m having the same thing on a couple of my hops. I’d agree with Dan’s - just the season - but I can’t say for sure. I’ve had those bugs for three years running, without the yellowing, etc, so I don’t think it’s them.

This exact same issue was present on my hops, and after a lot of investigation i found to be riddled with mites (especially the red spider mite). Grab a suspect leaf, put it over a sheet of white paper and tap the leaf. Inspect the paper and be prepared for a battle if it is mites.

Neem oil seems to be beating them down, but they have a reproductive cycle of 4 days so you need to be vigilant.

Edit: Deltamethrin will not kill the mites, it will wipe out all competing species which can exacerbate the issue. I went full thermonuclear and started with cyfluthrin, following up with neem every 3 days.

upload_2018-1-10_12-29-40.png

My Hallertau looks like it's died off already. It produced about 5 flowers that I could see. I haven't been able to get around here to water them much lately which probably hasn't helped as the rain hasn't been around for a couple of weeks. Not sure what to do with it really, its best yield was in its first year in a pot, last season it dropped off and now this year hardly anything. The Cascade plant didn't produce as much either but it grew really well and I still got over 100g dry from it.

IMG_20180110_140423.jpg

did you get those vine hoppers sorted almonte? might need a follow up spray in a few days as eggs hatch and next generation of larvae come onto the scene.

My Hallertau looks like it's died off already. It produced about 5 flowers that I could see. I haven't been able to get around here to water them much lately which probably hasn't helped as the rain hasn't been around for a couple of weeks. Not sure what to do with it really, its best yield was in its first year in a pot, last season it dropped off and now this year hardly anything. The Cascade plant didn't produce as much either but it grew really well and I still got over 100g dry from it.

View attachment 111020

Did you check for mites? Mite damage looks a bit like the leaves are dying off.

Scroll down to image 3 here:

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Production_in_the_United_States/figures?lo=1

I haven't looked closely but if they are there then they've only bothered to attack one plant as my other two plants are fine, other than some minor grasshopper damage. In any case, it doesn't really matter a great deal since the bloody thing only produced a handful of flowers anyway.

Fair enough, I've had to spray the little buggers with vigour this year. They took to the tettnang especially....

In general I don't like spraying things, but War is War.

Got a few flowers - first year growing so I'm chuffed!

First year rhizomes in pots, I was skeptical. . . but pleasantly surprised. Battling with caterpillars and spider mites along the way. . . (still doing battle..).

WP_20180117_08_02_35_Pro.jpg

did you get those vine hoppers sorted almonte? might need a follow up spray in a few days as eggs hatch and next generation of larvae come onto the scene.
Seem to be on top of it. Resprayed a few days later to catch the next gen and looks to have calmed down [emoji4]

this cascade is the pride of my fleet, 1st year and heaps of burrs on it.

Attachments

• burrs.jpg
    burrs.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 141
  • gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 128
I'm looking to finally establish a hop garden this year. My yard is mostly shaded by gum trees. Is there a minimum daylight required for a crop?

Looks like the passion vine hoppers were dealt with, but today noticed really fine webs all over the plant. Still have a lot of brown drying leaves too. Any ideas for treatment?
IMG_20180120_181033.jpg
IMG_20180120_181003.jpg

Looks like the passion vine hoppers were dealt with, but today noticed really fine webs all over the plant. Still have a lot of brown drying leaves too. Any ideas for treatment?View attachment 111238View attachment 111239
Cut off all the crap, sick, weathered, dead leaves gives encouragement for new growth. That's all you can do as well as feed them nicely and hope for a late harvest. I got sunburned Red Earth in the last few 40c+ weather. Also sunburned chillies that is a new thing.

Latest posts

Back