2012 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One other thing; what is the best way to store these after picking? Dehydrate and vac seal them or just cryo vac seal them?

Cheers

One other thing; what is the best way to store these after picking? Dehydrate and vac seal them or just cryo vac seal them?

Cheers

I like to preserve my hops in some freshly made wort.... :chug:
I have heard of them being packed into vacuum sealed bags and placed in fridges and freezers...crazy shit.

Anyone used NPK fertilizer on their hops? If so, when do you apply it? I have some flowers just starting to form now and wondering if I should apply now or in a few weeks.

I have been using some fertilizers a seaweed one and and a carp one and applying them late in the afternoon direct to the lower foliage and around the root base every two weeks.

If your leaves start to yellow use some Iron Chelate (another member has mentioned this to).

I have been applying seasol and chicken manure but that is mainly for plant growth. The NPK fertilizer is what rose growers use to get nicer/bigger/better flowers. I have heard of hops growers using it to promote flower growth but I'm not sure when to use it.

I quite happy with my hops this year considering they are growing in Queensland they look fairly dam good to me. Mushroom compost and regular feeds with chook poo liquid fertilizer.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I have never brewed with Victoria, but the hop flowers smell incredibly good to me, can't wait to get them into a brew.

Batz

Nice one Batz, some of those in the middle photo look good to go, can you lower those lines?

Yes need to harvest this arvo.
No I can't lower the lines with is a PITA, I park the tractor next to the pole and put a ladder against it. I have to come up with something better next year.

Batz

I have never brewed with Victoria, but the hop flowers smell incredibly good to me, can't wait to get them into a brew.

Batz

You'll love it Batz!

Tried a beer with it again at Dr S's place last weekend, sensational along with the rye.

I've got it growing myself and hope to get enough for a at least one batch.

Awesome aroma and flavour, you can't help but keep constantly sniffing the glass.

Cheers,
B.B

FFS be careful Batz..

and also, a photo of you in the tractor thank you :lol:

I'll take a photo of the operation tomorrow Yob storm coming in now so up an aluminum seems a bad idea ;)

Batz

Hail storm a couple of months ago really set my first year cascade plants back.

Now the heat wave is burning the growing tips off, i can't win.

There is a few cones on there that look ready but don't feel papery yet.

hoptrellis11.jpg

The heat wave burnt off about 1/3 of my chinook. Funnily enough the English varieties see not have noticed the 43C day...

Bit of a harvest today.

5a.jpg

Cascade, Cluster, Mt Hood and Victoria

Cascade/Victoria Wet-hop Harvest brew forthcoming from the Batz Brewery?

:super:

I was thinking along those lines Yob, brew a pale and chuck all the Cascade and Victoria in as a late addition.
Hinterland Harvest.

Batz

I'm surprised that there has been so little feedback on the beers brewed with homegrown hops over the years. I've been growing them for 6 years now and there are many people who have been growing them for longer.

Victoria is an amazing hop, easily my favourite. It is super smooth, a little bit of stonefruit, citrus and mango. Maybe a hint of passionfruit. I have 3 plants producing very well but will be expanding that to 6 or 7 next season.

Chinook is less grapefruit than US grown chinook, more like Motueka.

Cascade is similar, a tame version of the US parent. Dug that up last year.

Goldings, in my backyard, smelled like tangerines but were a little lack lustre in beer. Dug that up a few years ago.

Back