2011 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hops!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really? you are going to stand by that? :blink:

big fat bollox on that... stored hops should be dry, prove me wrong, provide some evidence or STFU...

evidence to the contrary abounds.

<_<

A simple question for ya mozzy. What do you think will happen to the hops if you freeze them undried? :lol:

A simple question for ya mozzy. What do you think will happen to the hops if you freeze them undried? :lol:

Just a guess but ruptured cell walls upon defrosting in the wort that release compounds into your beer that otherwise may have remained within the plant tissues?

Just a guess but ruptured cell walls upon defrosting in the wort that release compounds into your beer that otherwise may have remained within the plant tissues?

Brewing has evolved over thousands of years. Perhaps new and better methods remain to be discovered. Freezing wet hops might be the next big thing for homebrewers. :lol:

lots of crystalisation of the lupulin for starters...

degredation due to trapped moisture in flowers of all kinds is common.... frrezing and thawing is quite brutal to volatile elements

again... back it up with some evidence before you advise other first year growers..

and yep... Im researching now, yet to find anything that supports your theory and advice..

yob

lots of crystalisation of the lupulin for starters...

degredation due to trapped moisture in flowers of all kinds is common.... frrezing and thawing is quite brutal to volatile elements

again... back it up with some evidence before you advise other first year growers..

and yep... Im researching now, yet to find anything that supports your theory and advice..

yob

I'm not convinced. I looked at links provided and believe the information is inconclusive.

I'm expecting to harvest between 5 and 10 kg of hops (dried weight), and am planning to use as much as possible fresh.
I was planning to dry and freeze the early light pick and use it for bittering. The major harvest would go in fresh and late pick would be dry hopped.
I don't believe drying wet hops would create a problem. Its not something I'd recommend for long term storage.
I do recall a professional posting on this site that they don't recommend homebrewers freeze hops. Seems odd.

Best to stay open minded. :lol:

I'm excited :D
My first year pride of ringwood that I planted in a pot late in the growing season has grown a load of burrs sometime in the last couple of days.
It was growing very slowly until a couple of months ago when it started shooting up and got a second bine. A couple of weeks ago it started putting out bines all over the place and now it has a load of burrs on each of those bines.
I had very low expectations for the first year, just wanted to get some roots in place before the next growing session so even if it's not as much as it looks I'm just happy to be getting homegrown hops this soon

In fact frozen hops will likely retain flavour components which would otherwise have evaporated during drying. The expansion of water molecules in undried hops may in some way also contribute to the release of alpha acids etc. :chug:

What evidence do you have of this?

I was planning to dry and freeze the early light pick and use it for bittering. The major harvest would go in fresh and late pick would be dry hopped.
I don't believe drying wet hops would create a problem. Its not something I'd recommend for long term storage.

so let me get this right... you are going to dry and freeze your own but advise somebody else to freeze them wet and let you know how it goes?

I think you should wait and speak from experience and not your arse.

Yob

@Hoppy2B - Hops are between 75-90% water by weight when fresh.

When you freeze water slowly (household refrigerator) microscopic crystal form that easily rupture cells.

That's my opinion only based on freezing a range of fresh vegetables over the years, all of which were a soggy mess when defrosted. I have never frozen fresh wet hops for this reason. I dry my hops and then vac seal them and freeze them but I have thought about the science of this and decided on my current process.

What works for you is up to you but I agree with ozzy, as an inexperienced hop grower you should be learning, not preaching. Try your way first and report back with the results. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

The Chinook is starting to flower, can't say i've every even brewed with chinook but looking forward to using these puppies as late hope and maybe even randle a few too :party:

Special thanks to the mother inlaw for looking after so well!!

IMAG0058.jpg

Distance shot, couldn't load two photo's from the phone at once!!

Bob,

How long have you had this plant in the garbage bin?? Are the roots fully contained in the bin or have they tapped into the ground beneath?
I have planted first year plants this season and can't say I have achieved a quarter of the growth on your plants!

Bob,

How long have you had this plant in the garbage bin?? Are the roots fully contained in the bin or have they tapped into the ground beneath?
I have planted first year plants this season and can't say I have achieved a quarter of the growth on your plants!

it's the serenading he's been doing

Bob,

Hi mate,

It just a 50 litre bin filled to the brim with potting mix, it has a couple of drill holes for drainage and that's it. The mother and law really does look after it though (we are about to move), gets watered every morning with a dose of seasol, every couple of weeks she dissolves dynamic lifted in water and waters that in too. The formula works, you should see her tomato's, they look more like small rock melons.

Not sure if i would call it first year though. It was grown from a bine cutting last year in a tiny 5 litre pot, that bine ended up growing about 4 feet but with no real stature, very thin and frail and when it was re-potted it had very little root system, so i guess it probably on par with a good size first year rhizome cutting.

I guess her secret is lots of gentle food and a good hit of lifter ever now and then. She also told me today when i was getting the info for you that if anyone uses this info with success she wants kick backs!!! :beerbang:

Went there today and couldn't believe how quick the cones are growing, had to take another photo...

IMAG0067.jpg

Hi mate,

It just a 50 litre bin filled to the brim with potting mix, it has a couple of drill holes for drainage and that's it. The mother and law really does look after it though (we are about to move), gets watered every morning with a dose of seasol, every couple of weeks she dissolves dynamic lifted in water and waters that in too. The formula works, you should see her tomato's, they look more like small rock melons.

Not sure if i would call it first year though. It was grown from a bine cutting last year in a tiny 5 litre pot, that bine ended up growing about 4 feet but with no real stature, very thin and frail and when it was re-potted it had very little root system, so i guess it probably on par with a good size first year rhizome cutting.

I guess her secret is lots of gentle food and a good hit of lifter ever now and then. She also told me today when i was getting the info for you that if anyone uses this info with success she wants kick backs!!! :beerbang:

Went there today and couldn't believe how quick the cones are growing, had to take another photo...

Thanks for the info. I started mine in 5L pots, then transplanted them to 50L bins once they were around 1ft tall. I think my downfall was when I transplanted I threw a good handful of dynamic lifter into the bin before setting the plants in. Pretty sure I have burnt them or sent them into shock because they all produce healthy green leaves that all turn yellow and eventually die and drop off. Not to mention the stunted growth..

I have been using Maxicrop for the last couple of weeks and the plants are definitely looking happier. Maybe it's too late, but better than never i suppose!

Thanks for the info. I started mine in 5L pots, then transplanted them to 50L bins once they were around 1ft tall. I think my downfall was when I transplanted I threw a good handful of dynamic lifter into the bin before setting the plants in. Pretty sure I have burnt them or sent them into shock because they all produce healthy green leaves that all turn yellow and eventually die and drop off. Not to mention the stunted growth..

I have been using Maxicrop for the last couple of weeks and the plants are definitely looking happier. Maybe it's too late, but better than never i suppose!

I doubt very much that a couple of handfuls of dynamic lifter in a 50lt bin would burn your hops. Dynamic lifter is pretty much just chicken poop as far as I'm aware, which has been processed into pellets.
More than likely your hops are suffering nutrient deficiency like a lot of people on here.
:ph34r:

2ji1it.jpg

Chinook 2yo (1 harvest 3 weeks ago, waiting for 2nd) and Victoria 1yo (coming on strong the last couple of weeks - almost ready to pick).
Both approx 5.5m to top of pole from garden bed soil surface (i.e not the lawn).

2jesqyq.jpg

Saaz (from cuttings struck last year), Hersbrucker 2yo (Some cones were ready before Christmas, 1 harvest 3 weeks ago), Williamette 1yo (doing feck all, got terribly heat burnt over Christmas), Goldings 1yo (powered on in the last 3 weeks, almost ready to pick).
All poles about 3.5m tall.

Cascade_1_5_2_12.jpg

Cascade 1yo (has powered on in the last few weeks).
Top of pole approx 3.5m high.

1jvi80.jpg

Cascade cones looking to be the biggest seen in my garden. It has been a surprise as I didn't think it was going to do much but then took off and is developing lovely big cones despite not really having much biomas.

eosjm.jpg

Lots of big cones to the top of the cascade and loads of advanced burrs in the mid section.

PoR 2yo & Saaz 2yo in 1/2 wine barrels have no sign of burrs, perhaps growth not as vigorous as last year or as bulky as those in the garden bed. Saaz cuttings struck last year appear to have grown more biomas in the garden bed than the 2yo saaz has in the 1/2 wine barrel.

Latest posts

Back