2010 Tasmania Beer Fest Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im pretty sure its at 1.30pm, good luck everyone, see you all there.

Well thanks to the wedding of a so called friend... (I mean really who would have their wedding on the same day as beerfest?!) I missed the whole thing.

How was it? best beers? who won the homebrew comp? when can we find out the results?

yes I'm a little impatient, but can you blame me?

Time to move on dug, no need to dwell in the past ;)
jk

Well done to all who entered and to the winners. Overall winner was Paul uhh Mason?
He just happened to have beers in light and dark ale, both categories I entered, and won them both. And best overall.

Anyway like you I am eager for the feedback and scores for all entries. Not sure when those will be out though, I would feel a bit rude sending tas home brew an email asking so soon. Might wait till later in the week if nothing comes out. Cheers
Joe

Congratulations to all the winners!

I was lucky enough to take out the dark and light ale catagories, aswell as the overall winner. I wish i had been a bit more organised before hand, would have been great to meet some of you.

A little bit dissappointed with Beerfest in general this year, seems to be getting a bit comercial, it was good to see Brewdog there though.

Really looking forward to seeing the full list of results and getting the judges comments. THBS say they should have them up on their site by Wednesday.

Cheers,
Paul

Congatulations ITMechanic,
I guessed that it may have been you that won - must have been the grain from the bulk buy. Unfortunately I didn't get an entry in this year. Had a few carb problems with the Lager I was putting in (overcarbed - won't be using drops anymore) and didn't want to send my porter in as it is a favourite with a few mates. Maybe next year - something to aspire to.
Well Done
LagerBomb

Nice work ITM, you've set the bar...... still think your too short to brew..lol

Smashin :icon_cheers:

My wife's family all live in Tasmania and I've never been to visit them. Now that we live in Melbourne we might have to take a trip down there next year to visit the family,
(and just happen to drive past the beer fest as it's kicking off.....) :icon_cheers:

was in tassie on the weekend for the beerfest and have to say it was pretty dissapointing. 3 genuine micros in attendance and the rest being megaswill or large commercially produced beer. the highlight for me though was brew dog and the extremely expensive samples of tnp and sink the bismark. stb was like sucking on a hop cone with the alcohol being less noticeable than i expected,but the 50 ml sample was more than enough to satisfy any curiosity i had of this beer. my personal low light was thbs serving a very barely drinkable beer for the homebrew side of things, if it was my first introduction to hb coming from experianced brewers i would never have started in the hobby.oh and who on earth thought it was a good idea to have a wine stand at BEERFEST?

was in tassie on the weekend for the beerfest and have to say it was pretty dissapointing. 3 genuine micros in attendance and the rest being megaswill or large commercially produced beer. the highlight for me though was brew dog and the extremely expensive samples of tnp and sink the bismark. stb was like sucking on a hop cone with the alcohol being less noticeable than i expected,but the 50 ml sample was more than enough to satisfy any curiosity i had of this beer. my personal low light was thbs serving a very barely drinkable beer for the homebrew side of things, if it was my first introduction to hb coming from experianced brewers i would never have started in the hobby.oh and who on earth thought it was a good idea to have a wine stand at BEERFEST?

Ha! I forgot to ask about the set up of the beerfest in my post but didn't bother to go back and edit it. Cheers for summing it up beerhog. It might still be worth popping in if I'm about though

I was lucky enough to take out the dark and light ale catagories, aswell as the overall winner. I wish i had been a bit more organised before hand, would have been great to meet some of you.

A little bit dissappointed with Beerfest in general this year, seems to be getting a bit comercial, it was good to see Brewdog there though.

Really looking forward to seeing the full list of results and getting the judges comments. THBS say they should have them up on their site by Wednesday.

Cheers,
Paul
Well done and congrats! Glad it was an AHBer taking out the prize. Any chance of getting some info on the winning beers? I remember some pretty high scores being mentioned so that certainly says something about the skills of the brewer. Cheers!
Joe

Oh,forgot to comment on the fest overall.

Agreed with those that were disappointed. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to organize something like this in tassie, but in saying that it was not what I was hoping it would be. Ive heard conflicting stories about why some of the smaller local brewers were not there but IMO they were sorely missed. It lacked that connection between craft brewer and potential craft beer enthusiast and turned it into a commercial (as beerhog put it) beer drinking event. While opts great to get some of the rare imported extreme beer, the message is lost if people don't get the passion and interaction with brewers explaining why the beer tastes and smell like it does. All the more so if those brewers are plying their trade in our own state.

Anyway off my high horse now. And again, I do tip my hat to the beer fest and comp organizers as their efforts should not be dismissed. Can't wait for the full results and feedback. Hopefully I'll have more time to prepare next year because I look forward to competing again.
Joe

Cheers,
Paul

Any chance of posting the recipes for your winning dark and light ales?

Dark Ale winner was an Irish Red,

65% Maris Otter
20% Munich 1
5% Carared
4% Med Crystal
4% Dark Crystal
2% Roast Barley

Bitter with Fuggles to about 20 IBU
Goldings for flavour and about 6 IBU

Mash at 68 degrees

WY1084 at 19 degrees.

I will have to wait till i get judges feedback before i can post the light ale recipe, i had a couple in that catagory and im not sure which one won, i thinkk it might have been an all centennial 2 minute no chilled IPA with 1272.

Cheers,
Paul

Dark Ale winner was an Irish Red,

65% Maris Otter
20% Munich 1
5% Carared
4% Med Crystal
4% Dark Crystal
2% Roast Barley

Bitter with Fuggles to about 20 IBU
Goldings for flavour and about 6 IBU

Mash at 68 degrees

WY1084 at 19 degrees.

Nice, looks like a good one for the recipeDB.

Tas home brew shop is pretty slack they said they would have results posted on their site by the 17/11, still not up.
Cograts Paul well done.

Maybe they're trying to increase views on their site ;)
Been checking every day. Started to think they meant post as in mailing out letters! I'll be heading over this week anyway to get my bottles and feedback.

new update on the thbs site - results not available til late december??!!

new update on the thbs site - results not available til late december??!!

hahaha.... doesn't really suprise me :rolleyes:

I sent an email off the beerfest website asking when results and comments will be released, still waiting patiently for a reply.

Back