2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been thinking of cloning some hops by using some of the lateral shoots.Will try with the Hersbrucker,Hallertau and Goldings that i have(the chinook didn't cope with all the rain and the Rhizome just went moldy and died)to start with.

I would be interested in doing some cuttings of other strains if people would be so kind as to offer up a few laterals.Am in Footscray but am willing to go for a drive if i am successful would love to reward you with Rhizomes next spring.

Looking for american varieties but will consider all offers.

Plz PM me.

Yay, the hop vine I planted in the ground is starting to produce flowers!
Wish I could remember what it was, as all the tape with the names has fallen off... I'm guessing either Tettnang or Perle.

Yay, the hop vine I planted in the ground is starting to produce flowers!
Wish I could remember what it was, as all the tape with the names has fallen off... I'm guessing either Tettnang or Perle.
I went for daytrip to shoot pixes of Boston's hops plants in the Adelaide Hills
today (big thanks to B.) and the distinctive thing about B.'s Tettnang plant is that
nearly all of the leaves (especially the first leaves) are single lobed. From memory,
I don't think his Perle plant was like this (can't find my SD card reader at the
moment so can't check this right now).

T.

Edit: Oops! OTOH, the hops leaf gallery shows Perle leaves are also single lobed
(but I don't recall seeing any of the initial leaves on B.'s Perle as single lobed).

Have been thinking of cloning some hops by using some of the lateral shoots.Will try with the Hersbrucker,Hallertau and Goldings that i have(the chinook didn't cope with all the rain and the Rhizome just went moldy and died)to start with.

I would be interested in doing some cuttings of other strains if people would be so kind as to offer up a few laterals.Am in Footscray but am willing to go for a drive if i am successful would love to reward you with Rhizomes next spring.

Looking for american varieties but will consider all offers.

Plz PM me.

Started doing the first batch of clones from cuttings today.

Started doing the first batch of clones from cuttings today.

24 cuttings done 12 each of Goldings and Hersbrucker.Hope to do another 48 tomorrow including
Cascade,Chinook,SAAZ and Hallertau.

Not sure what survival rate will be but would like to have them in the ground by mid January so they can have 3 to 4 months to get a rhizome going on.

I thought I was going great until I saw Dr Smurtos photos.... :lol:

Anyway here goes from left to right on the back fence:

Trellis done (all cheapo stuff from Bunnings)....My two second year plants took a while to fire, but seem to be healthy now.
I counted 22 bines from the Chinook...so I cut 11 off (I thought 7 bines per string was a bit excessive and I'm testing the common wisdom). POR has a dozen that I'll leave alone.

I also managed to severely stun 2 healthy plants that I had in pots...I didn't water them enough. They are just recovering now. Mt Hood and Cascade.

High wind killed back the Hallertau that was shooting up the string...new side shoots are coming.

Goldings looks really healthy for a first year plant. :rolleyes:

View attachment 42427 View attachment 42428

View attachment 42429 View attachment 42430

Should look good along the back fence in a couple of months (if you can see past all the kids equipment).

Can't wait to brew a harvest ale.

Hopefully I'll have enough crop for an IPA :p .

PB

Don't mean to be critical but are those timber posts on the end strong enough to support that many plants?

24 cuttings done 12 each of Goldings and Hersbrucker.Hope to do another 48 tomorrow including
Cascade,Chinook,SAAZ and Hallertau.

Not sure what survival rate will be but would like to have them in the ground by mid January so they can have 3 to 4 months to get a rhizome going on.

I have never done hops cuttings before but as a general rule this time of year its best doing semi-hardwood so the cuttings don't wilt so quickly. Make sure you keep those babies out of the direct sunlight and if you notice the tips wilting, nip them off, they'll quickly form new buds if the start to root. Hops grow so quickly and easily im sure you'll get a good success rate.

tommy

After what seemed like a slow start my 1st year rhizomes are well and truely working their way up the strings. I have five varieties: Cascade, Chinook, Goldings, Mt Hood and Saaz. The Chinook, Goldings and Saaz are very vigorous, the others less so but ticking along. I planted them too close together but I will replant them further apart over winter.

Spotted some burrs forming on the Chinook today. It would be great to get a few cones in the first year. Planning on doing a harvest ale with the wet hops if they come through.

5272291813_cae5652a3c.jpg

5272900394_c18eaf3250.jpg

I have never done hops cuttings before but as a general rule this time of year its best doing semi-hardwood so the cuttings don't wilt so quickly. Make sure you keep those babies out of the direct sunlight and if you notice the tips wilting, nip them off, they'll quickly form new buds if the start to root. Hops grow so quickly and easily im sure you'll get a good success rate.

tommy

North facing laundry bench behind opaque glass so no chance of direct sunlight but plenty of light.The ones from yesterday are looking good so i would expect to see some action within 7 to 10 days.Thanks AMPY for letting me come out and get a few cuttings.There ended up being enough for 20 cuttings cheers pal.

Decided to put up some shade cloth instead of move the Mt Hood in the aim to reduce any heat stress. Might be slightly over kill but almost immediately growth rates have picked up and the hop cones have started to plump out.

hop_cover.jpg

hop_cones.jpg

This is my chinook, it's been grown from a cuttting that was taken about two and a half months ago ( the photo was taken about a month ago) :beerbang:

Photo0235.jpg

Been away for a week...lotza rain, lotza growth.. :D

The bushy ones with the cones are second year Chinook and POR.

The healthy looking 1st year plant on the far right is Goldings....will be getting flowers on there too by the looks. :beerbang:

IMG_2423__Large_.jpg IMG_2425__Large_.jpg

IMG_2426__Large_.jpg IMG_2428__Large_.jpg

IMG_2429__Large_.jpg IMG_2430__Large_.jpg

Note the cheap timber posts are really bending now....I guess I should reinforce ASAP, but I reckon they would have snapped off by now with all the rain, wind and foliage on there.

Happy growing...

PB

just picked and filled one whole screen that is from my oust. who said wurtenburger is a low yield plant.
ill get some pics later.

just picked and filled one whole screen that is from my oust. who said wurtenburger is a low yield plant.
ill get some pics later.

How do you tell the correct time to pick the cones? I have a small ammount of decent looking cones on my first year chinook at the moment.

by feel and colour of them. ive had them for 4 years now so have had a bit of experience with them.

Do people train laterals up the bines? I've got a lot of laterals coming up strong, some more than 30cm now and not sure how to treat them. The main plant (three bines twisted together) has climbed the length of twine and I'm now training it horizontally to see how far it will go. Not sure if i'll get any flowers this year, but it's early days yet, and the plant itself is doing quite well.

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

i use secondary lines for the laterals

here is my first year PoR plant. I put the rihazome in the ground on 17th october and its already got hundreds of little hop flowers on it.

Its currently sending out massive amounts of laterals and taking over the latice on the side of the house which im quite happy to have it do!

i looked at a photo of it a week ago and there were almost no latterals........ at its current speed, it will engulf the lattice by mid january.

cheers

PoR_inside.jpg

PoR_Burs.jpg

PoR_Flowers_1__832_x_1248_.jpg

I know its 2011 now but...

My chinook is going nicely
DSCN4120.JPG

DSCN4121.JPG

POR and Cluster are dragging ass though!

Latest posts

Back