2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recived a couple of photos of the hops in Dunsborough.

Saaz - better get a trellis sorted quick;
gallery_16736_710_47546.jpg

Cascade - still quite small but looking healthy;
gallery_16736_710_117523.jpg

Bloody inch worms of sorts have been giving them a good go over, anyone know who these are and what to spray them with? I have just been looking under leaves and pulling them off and squashing them but they are hard to find until they get big and they've done a lot of munching:
inchworm1.jpg
inchworm2.jpg

I got the same little beggars, going over my tomatoes, strawberries, hops, wherever they can get their grubby (pun intended) little arses onto. I have found the Pyrethrum/chilli spray from bunnings to work really really well, i think it was the bRunnings brand, but its in a yellow bottle. I could see about five of them on my tomatos, so gave them a good light spray over the whole plant, within 60 seconds there was dozens of them dropping off left right and centre. And seeing as its made from daisies and chilli, the birds got to them pretty quick and everyones a winner, except the little grubs and thats their own fault, hops are for beer.

Someone previously posted that the pyrethrum/chilli/garlic sprays are no good, but gotta say this one worked wonders for me. Can be pretty generous with the stuff if you want to, bottle says not to eat whatever your spraying for 24hrs, but otherwise all well and safe except for the grubs of course.

Well in an attempt to save my chinook i have snipped of the strugling bines and taken out of the wine barrell and planted in the garden, here is hoping i get at least one hop off it lol. Ps the rhizome was mental 4x the size of when i planted it at the start of spring, but it only had two wilted bines the tallest 30cm.

Well in an attempt to save my chinook i have snipped of the strugling bines and taken out of the wine barrell and planted in the garden, here is hoping i get at least one hop off it lol. Ps the rhizome was mental 4x the size of when i planted it at the start of spring, but it only had two wilted bines the tallest 30cm.

first year rhizomes in my experience can go metal early and grow 30cm - 150cm in the space of a few weeks and then stop and do nothing for months. I suspect that is what yours has done. They often bounce back. Ripper example is last year one of my Rhizomes started stopped and then started again in March. I was picking flowers in May!

I have a few hops in half wine barrels and without doubt those in the ground perform better.

This is exactly what mine did (first year rhizomes). Went crazy for about 1.5m in a few weeks, and have barely moved since. Hope they kick on.

Same thing here Davelovesbeer. Seems like its their growing pattern, must be putting energy into the root system once they get a few sun-soaking leaves established. We just got a big week of heat in Perth and im seeing it starting to inch up the rope again, so hopefully this is the real thing =)

my chinook has gone nuts, ive been away for about 6 weeks and i came back and it was like this:
hop_plant.JPG
something is eating it though, i cant see anything on it either.
not sure if you can see in the pic but theres just heaps of little holes in a few of the leaves.

Cheers,

Stewart

I've got the same problem, I thought it was hail damage at first but it's definitely worse since we had hail last.

first year rhizomes in my experience can go metal early and grow 30cm - 150cm in the space of a few weeks and then stop and do nothing for months. I suspect that is what yours has done. They often bounce back. Ripper example is last year one of my Rhizomes started stopped and then started again in March. I was picking flowers in May!

I have a few hops in half wine barrels and without doubt those in the ground perform better.

cool i hope they grow better in the ground now, the main reason i sniped the bines other then their stunted growth was the bad case of holey leaves, every leaf on the bine was peppered with holes and i tried everything but nothing seemed to help it just got worse and the leaves started to brown, so hopfully the re-plant in the ground in a completely different location will help sort it.

well, i now have no leaves at all on my 3 plants. possum swung by last night and ate the lot. lets see if they survive

My Chinook in Adelaide needed a little attention - I only see it every couple of weeks.

Before
chinook_1.jpg

After
chinook_2.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone can confirm or deny this but I've been told to not worry about pests. Once they've been there for a while they'll attract predators. My leaves don't seem to be getting eaten any more.

Nothing short of a plague of locusts of biblical proportions can stop these bastards now B)

There are a few bugs on them, plenty of holes in the leaves but it's all relative.....

First burrs are now appearing. :party:

L-R - Goldings, Chinook, Cascade (in the right growing on the fence, not the trellis
hops251110_2.jpg

Reverse angle - L-R - Chinook, Goldings, POR
hops251110.jpg

Victoria is on the right (out of the frame) of the POR in the 2nd pic. It too has reached the top of the 3m trellis.

Well they look like some great plants to me.

I'm growing hops for the first time thanks to a friend who got me a few rhizomes of different varieties. The Hallertau Hershbrucker and cascade plants are in the ground and I have wire along the front of the house so they have about 8 meters to grow for each plant. I'm not sure how big they will grow this year as they were very small cuttings I got but both are about two foot long so far. the H H gets more afternoon shade at the base as I read that noble hops don't like it too hot but the cascade gets lots of afternoon sun but the foliage of both plants will get many hours of sunlight. If they grow well we will get some shade on the front veranda which will help on hot summer afternoons.

Side shoots on my chinook have grown from nothing to 2+ feet in less than a week! These weeds are insane. B)
I've got a Chinook too that grew 2 feet in 2 months, it grew another 2 feet last week!

..My Hallertau is suffering from I-Don't-know-what.

It had been growing like a champion until about 2-3 weeks ago, when we got a stack of rain here in Melb. The leaves started to turn yellow at the base of the plant, and the ends of the bines stopped growing.

Here's what it looks like now...
Hallertau%2020101126.jpg

A couple of weeks before the sustained rain I gave it a bit of potash, diluted in water - a very small amount of potash. I've given it seasol a few times also.

The Saaz growing next to it (not pictured) is doing OK, but this one clearly isn't.

Any thoughts?

This is exactly what mine did (first year rhizomes). Went crazy for about 1.5m in a few weeks, and have barely moved since. Hope they kick on.

Mine did the same. I think the initial burst of growth is using up the rhizome's energy source like a potato, and then it goes dormant for a week or two (what mine did) and then BANG it's off again.

Just a guess.

..My Hallertau is suffering from I-Don't-know-what.

It had been growing like a champion until about 2-3 weeks ago, when we got a stack of rain here in Melb. The leaves started to turn yellow at the base of the plant, and the ends of the bines stopped growing.

Here's what it looks like now...
Hallertau%2020101126.jpg

A couple of weeks before the sustained rain I gave it a bit of potash, diluted in water - a very small amount of potash. I've given it seasol a few times also.

The Saaz growing next to it (not pictured) is doing OK, but this one clearly isn't.

Any thoughts?

How much potash and how much water did you dilute it with?

That looks like a plant that has been burnt by over fertilising.

Potash in powder form can be sprinkled around a plant and allowed to slowly dissolve in and be used by the plant. When given in liquid form you have to dilute is by a very large amount otherwise you are feeding the plant all the potash in one hit.

How much potash and how much water did you dilute it with?

That looks like a plant that has been burnt by over fertilising.

Potash in powder form can be sprinkled around a plant and allowed to slowly dissolve in and be used by the plant. When given in liquid form you have to dilute is by a very large amount otherwise you are feeding the plant all the potash in one hit.

I mixed about 20g of potash in with a bucket of water, and this one bucket went into both hops plants, plus a tomato plant and a bunch of herb pots. No other plants are showing distress.

And - I forgot to mention before - I sprinkled some blood and bone onto the topsoil at the start of spring.

Latest posts

Back