2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no you dont need to sterilise your hops, all hops have anti bacterial qualities anyway.

2nd year Cascade .... needed more string lines... ******* monster.

DSC01260.JPG

3hopssmall.jpg

Goldings in the middle, other 2 are chinook.

If I dry hop with these, do I need to sterilise them to kill any bacteria that might be on them? should I add them to the boil at 1 minute maybe?

Do the commercial growers kill beer spoiling nasties on theirs before sealing them in those silver packs?

EDIT: THIS THREAD ROCKS :super:

I think you are going to need some longer guide strings :huh:

I think you are going to need some longer guide strings :huh:

I am waiting for the council to prune a big lily pily tree overhanging my place, so that I can move them and add longer strings.

Hey Guys,
This is our 2010 hop plantation, there are 7 varieties and 3 of each plant. The plantation is at my brothers as I have enrolled my niece and nephew as plantation managers...

DSC_0136_066.JPGDSC_0137_067.JPG
DSC_0139_068.JPGDSC_0140_069.JPG
DSC_0144_070.JPGDSC_0149_071.JPG

2nd year goldings just hitting her straps.

View attachment 42152

Hey Bong,
I have a similar setup to you. Can I ask some questions about how yours is going?
Soil & water: What type of soil did you put in your 1/2 wine barrels? I put in potting mix & some water crystals and about 6 x 25mm holes bored in the bottom (with some shadecloth in the bottom). Water seems to drain through the potting mix too quickly. If I put a dripper in one area it comes out the bottom before it wets up the whole pot (i.e. goes straight through instead of dispersing). Seems like mine dry out too quickly.
Position: I see some of yours are against the shade part of the house. Does this bother it? The photo shows your plants to be pretty healthy looking. I have four 1/2 barrels and the Chinook gets the least amount of shade and is only 30cm high versus the others that are 1 metre minimum. I am just not sure if it is the plant lagging/sick or the position it is in.

Hey Guys,
This is our 2010 hop plantation, there are 7 varieties and 3 of each plant. The plantation is at my brothers as I have enrolled my niece and nephew as plantation managers...

View attachment 42161

Looks like you would have a good soil water moisture profile!
Looks like a fun garden.

My Mt Hood is looking a little sickly, I think it may be downy mildew but not to sure. Can anyone confirm? It is a first season from a smallish rhyzome.

The small shoots at the base have not grown for a couple of weeks.

hop1.jpg

hop2.jpg

hop3.jpg

hop4.jpg

The Mt Hood of mine has done bugger all too of late mate. About 1-2m growth then nothing! Warm weather should kick start it again. If that warm weather ever arrives....

My Mt Hood is looking a little sickly, I think it may be downy mildew but not to sure. Can anyone confirm? It is a first season from a smallish rhyzome.

The small shoots at the base have not grown for a couple of weeks.
G'day Kieren,

It's odd but my Mt.Hood has also stalled for the last month or so -
I had a fairly big rhizome and it shot up like a rocket and was growing
too tall for the temp location I had it so I had to trim the growing tips
and since then, the plant has hardly done anything. Maybe the stalling
is a characteristic of the variety?

Tom.

G'day Kieren,

It's odd but my Mt.Hood has also stalled for the last month or so -
I had a fairly big rhizome and it shot up like a rocket and was growing
too tall for the temp location I had it so I had to trim the growing tips
and since then, the plant has hardly done anything. Maybe the stalling
is a characteristic of the variety?

Tom.

It's only the small shoots (not in photo) that have stalled, the main bine on the right of the first photo is has been growing very consitantly. The slightly smaller 2nd bine on the left of the photo never took off as quick as the right. It's more the discolouration on the leaves that concern me, they turn brown from the center then start to "dissolve" away but I can see no obvious grey fuzz or spore like areas on the under side of the leaves.

mine starting to go nuts. POR has 3 shoots (had 4 but the 1st looked sad, was first to show and was wilting and stuff so cut it) ever since then the 4th shoot is growing about 2cm a day it was 3cm tall before I found it lol didnt look for 3 days. also is thick as, the 2nd shoot is ether throwing a side shoot under the ground or its a new one a tiny leaf is poking out.

the chinook is starting to grow only 1 shoot but very bushy and a thick stem. the victoria was just a root no shoots on it so hope its growing roots dont plan anything from that this year but long and the roots get in there will be fine. Dont plan anything great from them but if I get enough for half a brew this year i be happy

my mt hood is a monster once again this year and is really liking its new trellis as almost all its lines have at least one bine on it, also at least 5 of them are above the trellis
my wurtenburger is only just behind it with the chinnok bringing up the rear at about a meter or so.

Side shoots on my chinook have grown from nothing to 2+ feet in less than a week! These weeds are insane. B)

Back