2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question for those in the know.

I had recently all but killed my biggish chinook rhizome by leaving it in the fridge for to long and drying it out, after i eventually planted it i watered it and it simply rot all except a thumb length section that i have cut away that has some buds forming and did have a white fresh root growing out (that i accidentally broke off) that i have replanted near the surface. Now i have heard of guys getting the cuttings to turn into rhizomes and using root food or some such to encourage root growth and various other fertilisers, or should i just leave the poor buggar be?

Just leave it be and keep it reasonably watered. I kept getting curious and I'd dig around my rhizomes and ended up breaking off rootlets and shoots off of all of them. I eventually left them be and they all sprouted just fine, in time. One of them was rotten like yours too - all fine.

After an impatient 10 days or so, I've finally got some action from my Mt Hood, one shoot so far.

4972788552_bfea4209d9.jpg

Got it sat in a (bigger than it looks in the picture) pot next to a ready-made climbing frame.

4972798746_3afdc20419.jpg

Massive props to raven19 for very generously sharing the rhizome free of charge. :icon_cheers:
Looking forward to seeing this one start shooting up around the balcony...

Massive props to raven19 for very generously sharing the rhizome free of charge. :icon_cheers:
Looking forward to seeing this one start shooting up around the balcony...

The real thanks go to BYB for dumping the rhizome in my ute actually. I just split it into around 6 or so. The left over bits I threw into a pot and they are now shooting also! Getting overrun by these bl00dy weeds! :lol:

Glad its started to shoot.

Raven - i have some ideas for the trellis that involve no cutting or welding. Given my status as the worlds biggest tool tard i figure this is a wise move.

Well the offer is there if you change your mind! :icon_cheers: (bought a new welding helmet this week - new pergola to be welded soon).

Mt Hood going nuts early.

DSCN3933.JPG

Most others have small shoots below the mulch.

Looking good there Raven.

Hoping to repot mine tonight or on the weekend, but have realised that out of the 4 plants I only know what one of them is, the tags that had the names on it has either disappeared or got water logged and all the writing washed off. I'm guessing there's no way to tell what type they are until they actually grow some hops and then perhaps compare the smell with the pellets???

awesome, cheers mate! @ newguy

edit - lol im a bit slow bit slow,

loving all these pics of the hops, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside... i will have to post up a pic of my first chinook rhizome, its been through hell with the dogs digging it out and eating every shoot off the rhizome and chewing it to buggery, then the replant and wait and voila four shoots have come through now. also on a side note does anyone else's plant look like marijuana, i have had some doubts whether or not the guy actually sent me a chinook rhizome or a rhizome from his private collection.

Hey sydneybrewer, it's been said MANY times before, but you do know that hops can be lethal to dogs don't you? Not sure if the actual plant material is bad for them, but the actual hops can be deadly. Make sure your dogs can't get at em when they are producing hops!

Sorry, if you already know this, but just thought I'd put it out there.

loving all these pics of the hops, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside... i will have to post up a pic of my first chinook rhizome, its been through hell with the dogs digging it out and eating every shoot off the rhizome and chewing it to buggery, then the replant and wait and voila four shoots have come through now. also on a side note does anyone else's plant look like marijuana, i have had some doubts whether or not the guy actually sent me a chinook rhizome or a rhizome from his private collection.

First few leaves always look like that, that's why Hops are a member of the Canibenacee (sp?) family.

My neighbor damn near called the cops on me a few days ago cause he can see them over the fence and all..... Took a bit of explaining, but he calmed down, and had a pint of ESB and now all is sweet.

When tensioning trellis cables, eye bolts are cheaper than turnbuckles and give just as much adjustment:

trelliscables1.jpg

It is not super expensive. The hardwood timber is from a scrapyard and I made up the cables myself - very easy to do.

been thinking about something similar to that malted but on a line so i can raise and lower to assist in harvesting.

Chinook are in second gear.

IMG_1765.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

Just got the three shoots atm. I wonder if I'll get more?

Even the coffee is about to flower.

IMG_1767.jpg

Any reason why the grub at the bottom of primary shouldn't be poured around hops/other plants?

I'm thinking free fertilizer for them but dont want to kill them!!!

Any reason why the grub at the bottom of primary shouldn't be poured around hops/other plants?

I'm thinking free fertilizer for them but dont want to kill them!!!

No reason at all, I did it every brew last year, plan to do so again this year....

No reason at all, I did it every brew last year, plan to do so again this year....
Awesome, thnx :) well, roses got this one. Guess I didn't kill them then ;) next one haha.

Only 2 inches out they are. Hurry up, c'mon out now!
Spl thnx to Darko for providing the rhizomes.

Hallertau is been in the gound for 2 weeks and is gone nuts!!
Thanx to darko also!!!

My Sazz is taking its time, slowly but surley!
On the wkend build my climbers above the ground.

Awesome, thnx :) well, roses got this one. Guess I didn't kill them then ;) next one haha.

Only 2 inches out they are. Hurry up, c'mon out now!
Spl thnx to Darko for providing the rhizomes.

IMG_0769.jpg

Hey sydneybrewer, it's been said MANY times before, but you do know that hops can be lethal to dogs don't you? Not sure if the actual plant material is bad for them, but the actual hops can be deadly. Make sure your dogs can't get at em when they are producing hops!

Sorry, if you already know this, but just thought I'd put it out there.

This i did not know!

I just planted a bunch of hops in my back yard! And im really looking forward to getting a puppy in the next few months! has anyone had any problems with this? Why are they harmfull to dogs?

Latest posts

Back