2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-6.5g? :blink:
he took 6.5g of hops he'd bought and stuck it to a bine.

i'm in the same boat with growing in pots, i've got about 7-8 cones, and 6 plants. they are so going in the ground this year...

I read somewhere on the forum recently (maybe in this thread?) about someone who was going to try to strike some hop plants from cuttings... as I have just started my first attempt at striking some cuttings of other plants* around the garden I am curious if anyone has done this successfully with hops.

* Ornamental Grape, Rosemary, Lavendar, Daisy, Geranium

Yeah rob they are really easy to take cuttings from I do it every year if you want some hop plants let me know this September and I'll take some for you

Cheers steve

nice to hear (not really) about the small 1st year amounts. I've had bugger all, got some cascade but realised after the fact they were picked too early. Still some out there, may pick them tomorrow but not eough to do much with (other than chuck a few in my glass of beer, which is fun :p ). I was just happy to see hop cones this year, expect more out of the buggers next year tho!

edit- Can't beat QB tho, I've got more than that

Yeah rob they are really easy to take cuttings from I do it every year if you want some hop plants let me know this September and I'll take some for you

Cheers steve

That would be awesome! Thanks :D

I am already planning in my head where the garden beds are going to be for the hops :)

Here's my haul for this season all first year rhizomes

Saaz 96 grams dry
Cluster 150 grams dry
POR 90 grams dry
Perle 21 grams dry
Chinook 40 grams dry
Nugget 51 grams dry
Goldings 0
Fuggles 0

000_0013_2.jpg

Today I spent 2 hours digging up my POR and Cascade as we ae on the move.

These rihzomes have grown at lest 4 times the size they where last August.

Forrest brewery will score some Cascade and the the rest will go to the old man.

All I can say is plant them with heaps of poo be careful of the roots...

My chinook just keeps growing. I'm not sure wether to expect flowers from it this late but it wont stop growing. I found more rogue vines growing out that I had to training onto the trellis after the weekend.

my por got scorched (more sun where it is compared to the chinook). I got a few and have some more that aren't yet ready to pick.

One bine has about 20 hops on there, no idea if I should pick it. Another bine is showing the start of hops will other plants just seem to be happy growing and not producing. It's been fun.

I read somewhere on the forum recently (maybe in this thread?) about someone who was going to try to strike some hop plants from cuttings...
I tried taking cuttings from mine, but they all failed/died.
I find root propagation/layering/rhizomes work best for me.

Doing cuttings is very easy but you need to look after them really well.my method is

have pot of water ready to put cutting material in

take cuttings with 3 or 4 sets of leaves that are close together and cut with a new razor blade and put them straight into the pot of water.

prepare cutting media(propagating mix, vermiculite,perlite or a mix of all 3)by putting it into propagation trays and wet it down so it is moist but not soaking.

cut the hop material on an angle after taking a few of the bottom leaves off and dip into rooting hormone then put into planting media where you have poked a hole with a satay stick into the media.

i use propagating trays with a plastic lid($7 from green shed)and put them under a fluro light
for 3 to 4 weeks till they show signs of throwing roots,then slowly introduce them to natural light.

i did about 120 cuttings with about a 80% strike rate even when i went away for 10 days and they had no one looking after them.

If enough people were interested in learning how to do this i could set up a workshop next spring/summer.If all my plants pull through there will be 12 varieties to take cuttings from.

I got 50-odd grams (dry) of Cascade and Tardiff de Borgogne.... Not a good yield compared to last year and my Goldings did SFA again this year. Has anyone had much luck growing Goldings? Not sure if the plants are no good or whether the Otways weather is too wet for them.

Today I spent 2 hours digging up my POR and Cascade as we ae on the move.

Forrest brewery will score some Cascade and the the rest will go to the old man.

Are you in the Otways Blue Dawg? Didn't know the Forrest Brewery was after home grown hops, will bear that in mind next year if my harvest is good.

If enough people were interested in learning how to do this i could set up a workshop next spring/summer.If all my plants pull through there will be 12 varieties to take cuttings from.
Adding photos to your description, either in this or a new thread or better still as an AHB Article would be more than enough for me. :)

Am I right to assume that plants grown from cuttings - in general - will require an extra year to establish themselves well when compared to rhyzomes (since they will not have the food-stores built up as a rhizome would)?

cuttings establish themselfs pretty quickly

0133.jpg

the cutting was taken in october 08 and that photo was in march 09 so the grow fairly quickly. i took 7 cuttings this year using the method i posted in the hops article and i got 5 to take the other 2 died mainly because of me.

proudscum thats a good idea about the fluro lights

cheers matho

edit: i have given a fair number of cuttings to other ahb members it would be interesting to see how they are going

Adding photos to your description, either in this or a new thread or better still as an AHB Article would be more than enough for me. :)

Am I right to assume that plants grown from cuttings - in general - will require an extra year to establish themselves well when compared to rhyzomes (since they will not have the food-stores built up as a rhizome would)?

The main reason i took cuttings was to get as many varieties as possible
(as we are renovating and will have about 40 mtr of pergola that needs covering ...then we where going to move so flogged most of em off except for a couple of each strain)

and it was past the time that you would have people selling rhizomes.The cuts are in 250ml pots and are on average 2-3ft long and the rhizome is now about as thick as a pencil but not sure how long as i didnt want to disturb it to much.They will winter over in the pots so i can really pump some organic matter in for spring.I think but will have to see that they will do better than a rhizome as they have a good root mass whereas most rihzome cuts i do dont have any/few roots.

Will do an article on cuttings next spring with photos......just thought a workshop was a good way to meet a few fellow brewers/growers and give the perlicks a work out.

Cheers SCum

Brewin my 2IPA Harvest Ale today.

159g POR and Chinook all going in.

Have kept some back for hop tea/dry hop and an Aussie Pale Ale later :rolleyes:

Have heard most use commercial hops for bittering etc etc....I'm just going for it.

IMG_2895__Large_.jpg

I'll let ya know how it goes.

PB

Brewin my 2IPA Harvest Ale today.

159g POR and Chinook all going in.

Have kept some back for hop tea/dry hop and an Aussie Pale Ale later :rolleyes:

Have heard most use commercial hops for bittering etc etc....I'm just going for it.

View attachment 45062

I'll let ya know how it goes.

PB

Not sure if milling the flowers will help, let us know how it goes.... :lol:

Not sure if you have read it but Dr Smurto says that from his experience factoring 9% AA is a good bet for home grown Chinook (in the Adelaide Hills).
I used about 200g of fresh Chinook at 20 mins, no chilled in a Pale Ale and it is probably not bitter enough (nor flavoursome enough but that may be the no chill).

I tried taking cuttings from mine, but they all failed/died.
I find root propagation/layering/rhizomes work best for me.

I have had no success with layering; I'd be keen to hear more about how and when you did these techniques.

I had no success with cuttings straight into potting mix. But I did have good success with cuttings that I put in a glass of water for a few weeks until they struck roots about 30mm long or longer and then put them into potting mix.
No rooting hormone powder and cuttings in water = roots from nodes/stem axis only;
Rooting hormone powder on cutting then cuttings in water = roots all over the place (even between the stem axis').

Latest posts

Back