2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
open them up and look for a nice yellow resin that looks like pollen.To get an idea of the aroma rub the cone between your fingers should be sticky and aromatic.Just vac packed 27gr of goldings that smell a little grassy but plenty of resin and a nice aroma when rubbed.

The browning is only on one side so im suspecting a bit of sun bern perhaps. These were the only brown ones showing atm, the rest are still all green. Might just pick them and learn for next year if they dont produced the expected bitterness. Theres plenty of yellow lupin under the leaves.

open them up and look for a nice yellow resin that looks like pollen.To get an idea of the aroma rub the cone between your fingers should be sticky and aromatic.Just vac packed 27gr of goldings that smell a little grassy but plenty of resin and a nice aroma when rubbed.
+1, the cones don't have much of a smell themselves, you have to pull a bract off and get the lupulin on your fingers to appreciate it.

All dried - 400gms cascade, 180 gms chinook, 80 gms hersbucker. This is what I picked on Wednesday, Thursdays crop is still drying and I still have a lot of cascade and hersbrucker yet to pick.

vac_hops_edit.JPG

All dried - 400gms cascade, 180 gms chinook, 80 gms hersbucker. This is what I picked on Wednesday, Thursdays crop is still drying and I still have a lot of cascade and hersbrucker yet to pick.

Need to be a little careful when drying em.they may feel dry but the storks may still have a bit of moisture in them.i normally dry to the point they feel dry then bag em up in a zip lok over night to let the moisture balance out then give em a couple of hours to dry off i bit more before packing and freezing.

I take it that I've been a bit slow to pick some of mine as they've gone brown.
So what is the issue with the brown ones and what do people do with them?
ditch em?
expect less aroma / flavour from them?

Is that a kilt or a flanny you're wearing? :D :lol:

Need to be a little careful when drying em.they may feel dry but the storks may still have a bit of moisture in them.i normally dry to the point they feel dry then bag em up in a zip lok over night to let the moisture balance out then give em a couple of hours to dry off i bit more before packing and freezing.

Cheers - this bloody cool humid weather is making it harder than I imagined, but I'm pretty confident most of those were dry as a nuns nasty.

Is that a kilt or a flanny you're wearing? :D :lol:

The clan McBogan. :icon_drunk:

Hehe, my perle has supplied me with a bountiful 10g. As it's my first ever harvest I'm stoked with anything. Will dry hop them in a knk lager I've got planned soon.

Hey Pete,

I have my first crop of Goldings - when you dry hop yours do you dry them at all or straight from the bines to the barrel?

Cheers

cascade, still got about that much left on the plant too

185875_10150148706576834_669306833_7974655_8319937_n.jpg

I take it that I've been a bit slow to pick some of mine as they've gone brown.
So what is the issue with the brown ones and what do people do with them?
ditch em?
expect less aroma / flavour from them?

I picked heaps of brown ones, there is probably heaps of brown cones harvested from commercial crops that get processed into pellets and we never see it......................... B)
We have had some constant wind for about the past 6 weeks so there was some wind burnt ones but also some that had rubbed against leaves and bines which also didn't look that pretty, but all had plenty of yellow lupulin crystals and aroma was really cool when picking them and also stuffing them into the vac seal bags

There would be some difference to a nice fresh green pretty hop cone, but chucking them into a boiling wort is a great leveller tho.

I picked heaps of brown ones, there is probably heaps of brown cones harvested from commercial crops that get processed into pellets and we never see it......................... B)
We have had some constant wind for about the past 6 weeks so there was some wind burnt ones but also some that had rubbed against leaves and bines which also didn't look that pretty, but all had plenty of yellow lupulin crystals and aroma was really cool when picking them and also stuffing them into the vac seal bags

There would be some difference to a nice fresh green pretty hop cone, but chucking them into a boiling wort is a great leveller tho.

Hi Stinger, I was thinking along the same lines. For the sake of comparison though I'll bag my hops in two bags and seperate the brown ones for comparison. Have you sampled any results from the brownish hops?

Hi Stinger, I was thinking along the same lines. For the sake of comparison though I'll bag my hops in two bags and seperate the brown ones for comparison. Have you sampled any results from the brownish hops?

My harvest ale is in the fermenter at the moment, bottling will be the job for tomorrow evening.
I didn't discriminate with the hops, I had a hop pellet tea bag that I threw into the boil at 60 min along with 50gm Chinnook and 50gm Cascades (wet weight) then did 30gm Cascades at 30min, 30 gm Cascades 15min and then 30gm of Cascades + 30gm Chinnook at flameout
but while i boiled this up I dried 50gm wet Cascades in the oven on low until very dry and came out with result of 8gm dry, so I thought bugger it and chucked that into the fermenter when i pitched the yeast (strained all of the other hops out when I transferred wort to fermenter)
Only the first time i have played with hops like this due to having a supply to experiment with.

you could be on track to do a couple of small scale batches??

I thought that weight divided by 4 may be appropriate to calc wet hop additions but those in the know (Dr Smurto) suggested divide by 5 to give an 'equivalent' weight. Well beggar me, I dried 80g wet and they dried out to 16g - a factor of five! I know it is only one 'test' but it supports what I was told and I believe that advice to have credibility based on repetition.

I tried what I thought to be a novel way to dry my remaining hops:
I No Chilled my wort in a jerry can on it's side, laid a cloth over it and spread my wet hops (80g) on the cloth. 24hrs the wort was at ambient temperature and the hops were nicely dried! The stems will snap and the flowers themselves are like paper and will come apart when rubbed; I think they are dried (maybe even a little too much).

So on Sunday I did an APA(ish) brew with 200g of fresh Chinook hops (not the dried ones) for 15mins:
200g_fresh_Chinook_in_keggle.JPG

Even though I gave them a good stir, they took a while to get wet enough to actually be circulated in the boil.
200g_Chinook_boiling.JPG

But they made a good trub trap:
200g_Chinook_trub_trap.JPG

Oh and since this thread is meant to be about growing hops, here's a picture of my Hersbrucker taken today (all first year plants). I am planning on pulling the cones off it tommorrow.
Hersbrucker_on_bines_28_feb_11.JPG

I had trouble telling if they were dried enough, papery enough etc when picking. It seemed like the 'ripe' ones would pull away easily, often with them breaking a bit off the top and it remaining on the bine whilst the not so ripe ones would require the stalk to be snapped. So then I did a tug test, it felt good so I went back to picking hops... :p

Harvested last night. Both first year rhizomes. 1.3kg wet POR 200g wet Cascade. Very happy now trying to settle on a recipe for theis weekend to make use of them. I wish my shed smelt of hops all year!

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

so where do i get some seeds from so i can grow some myself?

You will want to wait about 5 or 6 months and keep an eye out here on on ebay for Hop Rhizomes. Seeds are no good, as you may get a non flowing male plant.

Plenty of people have rhizomes up for grabs come September-ish onwards. Cost is minimal, often just the cost of a few of your finest brews.

Edit - too slow typing...

cascade, still got about that much left on the plant too

185875_10150148706576834_669306833_7974655_8319937_n.jpg

Please send me your address Fents and times when you are not home and I'll 'help' you clear the bines of those nasty hops.

Latest posts

Back