2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are already dried, and I told my dad to compact them so they are less exposed to oxygen. I was more worried of Aqis, as I'm sure they would not like a parcel or suitcase full of hop flowers. Whereas if we could make them look like commercially manufactured pellets... Or are plugs not considered harmful?

Im sorry but i have to say it we have quarantine laws for a reason there a things like hop aphids that dont exist in australia and we want to keep them out. Commercial growers in europe have to spray for them and the process of making pellets will kill them but what you have is wild hops that havent had anything done to them.
its your choice but i wouldn't if i was you.

:icon_cheers:

cheers matho

I've got some big black hairy ones. They live in cute little fluffy tunnels on the side of the trees. Shall I send you some? :D :D

I thought they were trapdoors "coz funnelwebs live in Sydney" - then I looked 'em up on the Google...

...oh dear. :eek: Northern Rivers Tree Funnelweb. If possible, nastier than the Sydney one.

But my hop guard-spider doesn't seem aggressive.
Be careful climbing any trees. Indeed a nasty specimen that northern tree dwelling FW. If you find any dead ones and quarantine allows it, feel free to post to me in exchange for beer or some kind of desirable beer ingredient. (Quite serious - good for my drawings).

Hi Nick,
I noticed you are growing hops pretty close to where I am in Boonah SE Qld. I'm curious waht your tips are for a good yeild as my first try last year was terrible. I have go them in the ground this year. lasy year they seemed to whilt and get thrashed by the heat and humidity. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Brett

The sun rising here gives us an extra 30 minutes too. Pity my curtains are fading so quick :huh: .

I could mention the obvious pythagorean geometry and copernicus, but I'll just adjust my watch instead.

Hi Nick,
I noticed you are growing hops pretty close to where I am in Boonah SE Qld. I'm curious waht your tips are for a good yeild as my first try last year was terrible. I have go them in the ground this year. lasy year they seemed to whilt and get thrashed by the heat and humidity. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Brett

This is my first try, Brett. I hear the first year is always pretty crap for yield as the rhizome is hell bent of establishing itself. I heard the trick is to fool the thing into thinking the suns setting at 10pm, so I'm going to wrap a cheapo length of those christmas lights up the string and put the timer to come on at 6pm and go off at 10pm - they're only a few watts.

Yield is supposed to have a lot to do with photoperiod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoperiodism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytochrome

Be careful climbing any trees. Indeed a nasty specimen that northern tree dwelling FW. If you find any dead ones and quarantine allows it, feel free to post to me in exchange for beer or some kind of desirable beer ingredient. (Quite serious - good for my drawings).

I've got one in a jar you're welcome to have but it's lost a few legs and it was never properly preserved so it's a bit shabby.

Had a lucky score today people up the street are doing a reno and where filling up the skip with goodies.Got 2 12ft veranda posts to replace the garage trellis as the garage will be demolished in the next few weeks.Funny how things workout sometimes as i was looking at it this morning going i need to do something about this.First post in already next one tomorrow
lucky the soil is nice and soft to dig.will try and post picture tomorrow

HIGHLY OT...

OUCH...I have plenty of Sydney funnel webs mate...do u want me to get some for you from the backyard. Often I find them sitting on top of my fermenter, looking thru the glad wrap and drooling. Ive told them once, ive told them twice....STAY OUTTA MY BEER.

As far as your Northern Rivers Tree FW...keep em away from here, the last thing I want is both Syd FW and NTR FW here...Its going to be a life long warfare to keep them at bay. I use the mortein spray with the thin yellow extender tube. I make sure I get it down there hole in the ground as far as possible and GAS THE FCUKERS. Seal up the hole and presto. Dead FW. All this stuff about boiling water, petrol, etc is BS...doesnt work. Only gassing does. Unless u want to try digging them up, some 1+ foot down.

EDIT: I was thinking about a dutch oven down their hole sometime....but I'll prob get my balls bit by one of the buggers, so Mortein it is....

Lookie here, the last funnel web that tried touching my beer....
IMG_3642.jpg

I've got some big black hairy ones. They live in cute little fluffy tunnels on the side of the trees. Shall I send you some? :D :D

I thought they were trapdoors "coz funnelwebs live in Sydney" - then I looked 'em up on the Google...

...oh dear. :eek: Northern Rivers Tree Funnelweb. If possible, nastier than the Sydney one.

But my hop guard-spider doesn't seem aggressive.

I've got one in a jar you're welcome to have but it's lost a few legs and it was never properly preserved so it's a bit shabby.

I draw things in whatever state they are in. Dead things don't always preserve themselves perfectly and I don't like to pretend they have so a few legs missing is fine.

Yours too rendo. Post me spiders, I'll post you beer

Sorry for OT

Manticle, I will do my best. I know if I go digging I will get plenty of live ones, occassionally I see a dead one laying around, as soon as I do, it is yours. The weather is warming up, so the chances are on their way up too.

Since my extermination methods have progressed to gassing them in their holes/homes then covering the hole shut, they no longer come out for air to escape the mortein, so everything remains in the hole, I like it better that way :) no rampant funnel webs about gasping for their last breaths wanting to sink their fangs into one last prey, eg like...hmmm, my kids....hence why i try to keep them under control, otherwise I wouldnt bother them. They have been around for thousands of years, more probably, so I am not going to endanger them as a collective, i just want to minimise the amount in my backyard.

Anyway, back On Topic of my Off Topic post, yes...next dead one I see is yours.

I draw things in whatever state they are in. Dead things don't always preserve themselves perfectly and I don't like to pretend they have so a few legs missing is fine.

Yours too rendo. Post me spiders, I'll post you beer

Sorry for OT

:icon_offtopic: but plenty of the little buggers here too, this one crawled across my foot in the lounge room:
18012010025.jpg

Hops are going mental too, pics soon!

Hey guys,

Was training one of my cascade bines last night, and I managed to break the tip of it off. I guess I wasn't delicate enough :/ Is that effectively it for that bine, or will it bounce back?

Hey guys,

Was training one of my cascade bines last night, and I managed to break the tip of it off. I guess I wasn't delicate enough :/ Is that effectively it for that bine, or will it bounce back?

It will be fine. It'll grow lateral bines from near the base of the existing bine, and they'll climb up the existing bine and just act as if they were regular bines coming from the dirt.

:icon_offtopic: but plenty of the little buggers here too, this one crawled across my foot in the lounge room:
18012010025.jpg

Hops are going mental too, pics soon!

Same offer goes for you too.

To be a little on topic - newly planted target is looking very healthy, last year's tett poking its head out of the surface. The others I was getting worried about but a bit of digging shows that all rhizomes have declared their interest in spring with nodules and green bits galore just above or just below the surface. I only hope that my memory of which is which is solid (chinook, goldings and hallertauer).

Last year I got 10g of wet tett flowers so hopefully this season with the new position in the garden gets a bit more exciting.

Came home this afternoon to find most of my 15 cm Cascade shoots pruned back to about 5cm. Bloody red heeler!

I think hops are bad for canines mate might want to keep an eye on him if he ate a gutfull

My 4 plants (well technically 6) are still acting as ground cover, no serious sprouting as yet :( Who knows what's gonna happen with all this rain, but it remains to see if I get anywhere this year. Last year in pots my biggest plant (Chinook) got to about 1m then died back, no hops at all from any plants. Fingers crossed I get something now they're in the ground....

Cheers

Back