2010 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Shit....my chinook looks NOTHING LIKE that....I will have to take a photo and post it up here, maybe you guys can help me identify what it might be...the leaves look like totally different...almost like choko or something.

My POR looks like everyone elses POR though.....

Rendo

Well, the rumours are true....

Chinook was last to shoot and has already overtaken the other 8 in height.

I am thinking my hops are gunna power away now that daylight savings has started and we have an hour more sun in the evening... Rdrr!!!

So glad we dont have day lite savin here in the west .

You obvioulsy don't know what your missing! :party:

No, we just don't need it. :p The Sun setting over the WA coast gives us an extra 30 mins of daylight. We've tried daylight savings & the vote was we didn't want it.

Back OT, could anyone quantify how much water a hop plant needs each day? I've been trying to give mine a good start, but think they might be getting too much water.

Cheers,
Ben

Stick your thumb in the soil, if its dry water, if not don't water.

Unfortunatly I cannot remember exactly what all of my hops are! A tip for others, make sure that the labels that you put with your hops don't wash off!

This one has gone off the most(not sure what it is):
1.JPG

This is a Tetnang, that is in it's 3rd year. Got a cutting off Fents about 2 years ago. This gave me the most hops last year.
2.JPG

Here is a victoria:
3.JPG

Here is a pic of the size pots I've got em in. Closest to farthest - Cluster, Tetnang, ???, ???, ???, then to the left of the compost a hesbrucker, that has not taken off yet. (I think the unknowns are a tetnang, chinook, and something else):
4.JPG

Mt Hood creeping up nicely, only small amounts of growth on my other plants.

DSCN3987.JPG

Guys, check out my Hop Vine pics in this new thread I created...is this a hop vine? Meant to be Chinook.....it looks odd hey!...

Let me know...please :)

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=48462

Rendo

Holy Shit....my chinook looks NOTHING LIKE that....I will have to take a photo and post it up here, maybe you guys can help me identify what it might be...the leaves look like totally different...almost like choko or something.

My POR looks like everyone elses POR though.....

Rendo

My 4 hop plants have been in their half wine barrels for three weeks now and no signs of them sprouting. planted them two inches deep. Getting very worried, thinking i might need move some soil and check them out. Any advice on how long they should take to break the surface?

Thanks

The Sun setting over the WA coast gives us an extra 30 mins of daylight.

The sun rising here gives us an extra 30 minutes too. Pity my curtains are fading so quick :huh: .

I could mention the obvious pythagorean geometry and copernicus, but I'll just adjust my watch instead.

:icon_offtopic:
The sun rising here gives us an extra 30 minutes too. Pity my curtains are fading so quick :huh: .

I could mention the obvious pythagorean geometry and copernicus, but I'll just adjust my watch instead.

I won't deny that you get an earlier sunrise, but that's it... sunrise. It seems that the whole point of daylight savings is to shift that extra bit of sunlight to later in the day. My point is, in WA, you don't have to shift it, we get the extra in the arvo anyway.

Well that's me done dragging this thread off topic... if I do it again, may the next beer I brew turn into a clambic!

My 4 hop plants have been in their half wine barrels for three weeks now and no signs of them sprouting. planted them two inches deep. Getting very worried, thinking i might need move some soil and check them out. Any advice on how long they should take to break the surface?

I planted some new rhizomes last weekend and they are already pushing the surface.
Where dd you get them from and how had they been handled?
4 different rhizomes in one barrel is too much. It would be ok for the first year, but after that you will have crossed rhizomes everywhere and you wont know which is which.

Thanks
Could use an old butter knife to gently move dirt around little by little until you
come across some growing shoots or the rhizomes. I re-potted some Chinook
zomes today by doing this to reveal all the shoots and uncovering them before
relocating the entire plants into a larger pot. I planted my zomes about 4/5 weeks
ago and they're going gang busters now.

T.

Back OT, could anyone quantify how much water a hop plant needs each day? I've been trying to give mine a good start, but think they might be getting too much water.
Small-scale commercial hop growers in the USA (via the Hop-growing Yahoo group discussions) suggest 5-10 US gallons per week per plant via drip watering systems. That equates to about 20-40L per plant week. If you are growing in pots you will most likely need more water, and when it's hot and they are growing/cropping strongly increase the water too, but at least you have a starting point to think about now. :)
Unfortunatly I cannot remember exactly what all of my hops are! A tip for others, make sure that the labels that you put with your hops don't wash off!
Exactly the same problem I had last year, hence saying exactly the same thing about permanent labels earlier in this thread, the aluminum ones are about the only ones that really work long-term.

you can just tie different coloured string to each plant and keep a record of which is which...

just something annoying that mums tend to do to luggage but works anyway! :)

G'day All,

My plants are starting to really take off and are planted in 40cm pots
as I'm a home renter and want them to be fairly mobile.

Having been trying to think of the best mobile solution to putting up a
trellis, my current best solution is to get two outdoor umbrella stands,
pvc piping of two sizes to make a telescopic sliding set up as shown in the
pix below, some pvc T-pieces to then provide support to a horizontal pvc
bar to which rope can hang off for the hops to climb up. The horiz pipe
could be pushed up anywhere up to 3m high.

My concern/unknown is how much the hops are going to weigh down and
how stable the setup is going to be. The umbrella stands are designed for
pretty large umbrellas and will be weighted down by decent amounts of
cement blocks/bricks so ought to be able to handle quite a bit of hanging
weight ... unless I'm underestimating how much the hops can end up
weighing. Comments?

T.

Left to right are pots containing saaz, goldings, mt.hood and I also added
another pot of the same type today with just peeking chinook rhizomes.

Spent the day putting the poles up for my hops.

Last week we had someone come out and dig 14 holes (for 12 posts, somebody (not me) mis-calculated):
2010-10-04_holes.jpg

Seems my old-man is as prone to over doing things as I am. The poles are not going to go anywhere in a hurry with 1.5bags of concrete per hole:
2010-10-04_concrete.jpg

We did plan to put in two poles with a cross-piece on the top to run the wires along - we found 2 rolls of wire in the shed, seems to be the same stuff used at the top of electricity poles.
However, assembling and lifting 2x6m steel poles with a cross-piece on it, getting it into an 80cm hole and then ensuring everything was correctly aligned before filling the holes with cement ... proved to be a little more difficult for two people to do than we'd hoped.
So we ended up running the wire through a bracket at the top of each pole, and after the concrete has fully set in a few days, we'll put the cross-piece a little further down.

This was half of them in the ground:
2010-10-04_poles1.jpg

And just before sunset we got them all done:
2010-10-04_poles2.jpg

And a few photos of the hops, even if they are still a bit small compared to others posted in this thread. ;)
Golding
2010-10-04_goldings.jpg

POR
2010-10-04_POR.jpg

Chinook
2010-10-04_chinook.jpg

All the plants have shoots, but a few are still just below the surface, it seems that they're growing downward more than upward just now (I carefully moved the dirt from over the few remaining plants without visible shoots to check they were still alive.)

Comments?
The full grown hops will grow up to 5-6m high (if you let them) and will weight quite a bit, especially since they are so tall and bushy at the top.

However, I've seen (on the HBT forums and via the Hop-growing-yahoo-group) that some American home-hop growers using telescopic-PVC hop frames.
They did work, but they do also sway quite a bit and are not very stable, the guy who did it also said he'll be replacing it with a more rigid system for next season - but check the HBT forums for his info.

One of the brewing video/podcast places has a show about growing hops in pots, one trick he used was to use a tall pole with the growing-string looped through the top and then back down and tied off (with excess unused-string). As the hops grew taller he let the string out and essentially 'lowered' the growing hops, that way they could always keep growing 'upward' but the total height they reached was much more manageable, with much of the growth curled around at the bottom (not very useful for watering or disease/pest management, but since they were in pots they were more easily managed that way).

My mt hood is being eaten by something. It's going climbing at a good rate but some of the leaves are being eaten. Is it to late to look into companion plants? I'm not keen on the idea of pesticide. A photo would probably help someone to help me but it's dark at the moment. I had a look on the effected leaves but couldn't see any bugs.

Latest posts

Back