2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was the 40deg+ heat on Black Saturday that burnt my hop leaves.

I'd picked a week earlier, so the cones were safe from the sun.

Cheers for the reply's fellas, I got rid of the mulch once it poked it's head through, although there's still a tiny bit there, doubt it'll make any difference though. Could be too damp like you mention, and I'll obviously have to back off with the seasol. Not sure If I should cut it back as there's really only one shoot growing, with a second one only about 5cm high (which has been like that for a while). I have it in a pot with potting mix, which is the same potting mix I've been using for years with other plants and they seem to go pretty well. Here's a piccy anyway so you can see just how bad it looks

PB040218.jpg

Plants that are over fertilised suffer and produced a similar look to plants that suffer minor salt damage; that is leaf margin burning. In other words the outer edge of the leaf turns yellow and browns off. And in extreme cases the entire plant wilts and dies. This is not the case from what I can see in the photo. Can you send a pic of the dyeing tip and a clear pic of the top surface of some of the leaves? Cant promise anything but Ill try.

Hops are loving the Adelaide heatwave, i swear they are growing in front of my eyes!

Not sure why people are putting up shade sails, ever see shadecloth on a hop farm?

If you keep the water up they will love it! I'm only watering them ever 2nd day despite the temps hitting 38-39 and they look as happy as pigs in shit.

+1 the Chinook is almost to the top of my 4m Trellis now!

This is my first year growing hops. Planted 4 varieties about 6 weeks ago and a Chinook about 2 weeks ago.

Seem to be surviving the hot spell OK so far...

Here is the progress, going OK I think...

Here is my setup...
Hops_20091114_001.JPG

Right to left, Chinook (only planted 2 weeks ago)...
Hops_20091114_002.JPG

Goldings
Hops_20091114_003.JPG

Cascade
Hops_20091114_004.JPG

Perle
Hops_20091114_005.JPG

Hersbrucker
Hops_20091114_006.JPG

I fertilised the hops last week and over the last couple of days they have gone beserk. It's actually possible to watch them grow.

My second year plants have just all taken off at my non-backyard hop garden in the mountains.

Sheesh! the Hersbruker (early cultivar it seems) is seriously growing a foot per day with no water or fertiliser... the thing is so voracious, it is like a head of hungry serpents.

My broken bine is really thickening up now. When it knows it can't grow up it really grows more laterals and leaves very quickly. Hopefully this will be good for the rhizome for next year and maybe I'll get some amount of hops anyway.

i think im another victim of the heatwave... my chinook shoot was going well (maybe an inch) but has since browned off and appears to be dead. i did have three shoots above ground but the first two died pretty much when i planted it, the third i thought would survice but sadly not.

the rhizome had a few more shoots i think but not expecting much now.... spewing :-(

mark the broken of bine will start to send of laterals the will grow just like the main bine so alls not lost

regulator my chinook is only just getting leaves now its a first year rhizome whats your's?

If it doesn't work out in a few weeks i might have a cascade cutting i can give you.

cheer's matho

she is (was?) a first year chinook. the third (good) shoot had just sprouted three leaves from what i could tell before it bit the dust. im really confused, everyone says these things are weeds and that you cant kill them, and this is the second year running ive tryed to get a chinook vine going. no wonder i never became a market gardener lol....

im going to keep watering it just in case she decides to have another attempt but geez, i seasol'ed, i used potting mix and some dirt/blood and bone from last years tomato patch.... what more can a guy do!

guys whats the chances its will send more shoots up (there were more under the surface) this late in the year and with this heat? (an my totally inept green thumb!)

she is (was?) a first year chinook. the third (good) shoot had just sprouted three leaves from what i could tell before it bit the dust. im really confused, everyone says these things are weeds and that you cant kill them, and this is the second year running ive tryed to get a chinook vine going. no wonder i never became a market gardener lol....

im going to keep watering it just in case she decides to have another attempt but geez, i seasol'ed, i used potting mix and some dirt/blood and bone from last years tomato patch.... what more can a guy do!

guys whats the chances its will send more shoots up (there were more under the surface) this late in the year and with this heat? (an my totally inept green thumb!)
I found that here in Perth I can only plant/grow them in places that get direct sun (early morning and evening) for about 4-5 hours a day or they get toasted. A good lesson I have learnt. They like the light but not the sun's heat.
GB

is there any green left on the shoots if so there might be hope.
its not that late, last year i took a cutting of my cluster about this time and it produced more flowers than the parent plant.
don't water too much just keep the soil slightly damp and the rhizome doesn't need to much fertilizer to begin with

cheer's matho

Quite reasonable.

Even if you don't get a killer harvest, which there is still a chance of, you can nurse it into the next year. Chinook is a late one anyway, so you might have a bunch more to come. Do not give up and don't either under-water it nor over-water it.

My hops are second years in pots have all been fertilised and grown to 2 metres but now they have stalled havnt budged for a few weeks. Wish i put them in ground will next year. Also my 2nd yr chinook still hasnt grown at all.

i think im another victim of the heatwave...

Heatwave??? In Camden... NSW ???? Not yet I fear.....

My c'town plant is still doing better than my W'gong plants and I haven't fertilised it yet. Bring on the heat I say!

maybe something else is killing the plant then? hrmmm..... last years just failed to fire and rotted out i think. ive used different soil etc this time though, and i have moved house...

mark the broken of bine will start to send of laterals the will grow just like the main bine so alls not lost

regulator my chinook is only just getting leaves now its a first year rhizome whats your's?

If it doesn't work out in a few weeks i might have a cascade cutting i can give you.

cheer's matho

It definitely is sending out laterals that look like bines rather than the normal laterals. They have the same tip as bines if you know what I mean. Are you saying these will keep growing?

It definitely is sending out laterals that look like bines rather than the normal laterals. They have the same tip as bines if you know what I mean. Are you saying these will keep growing?

thats what i have found, when i have taken cuttings, the new growth on the cutting start from where the laterals starts and they grow into full sized bines, also you'll find the you will get new shoots poping up all thru the growing season so you might get another bine growing soon. You are also growing a first year rhizome so you won't get much yeild off it any way, i got 6 grams off two plant's last year :rolleyes:

cheer's matho

So, has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do when my hop bines get to the top of the fence (about 11 foot high). I reckon one might get there by the weekend.
Hops_20091114_001.JPG

Back