2009 Hop Plantations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you string laterals up on different strings or do they only grow a few inches then stop? Are they just there to grab more light by pushing leaves out sideways or do they become their own bine?

Leave them... they are the arms that your flower grow on, and won't grow longer than a foot or at most a metre and don't try to climb as far as I know.

That is excatly what I did as well as losen the dirt under that so it would be easier for its roots and yeah nothings happened yet. Im tempted to dig it up and swap it into the pot and put one of the established ones in the ground instead.

dicko

Depending on your soil type, you can actually dig a "dam" that you fill with potting mix...so by watering daily you could be creating a bog at the bottom of the hole. This will depend on soil type though...usually this occurs with clays.

Also, pots dry out quicker than the ground, so adding more water actually keeps the ground "cooler".

I think quite a few people in this thread are trying to kill their hops with too much lovin'. RDWAHAHB

My cascade broke through afew weeks ago, and about two weeks ago the dog got into the garden to do some digging, she managed to snap the shoot at ground level. Whatever was left died off and I haven't seen any new shoots yet.

Do I have a problem??

Just dug this one up after beingpatien for acoupleof weeks didn't work out.. The rhizome was limp and rotting in the middle, So I cut it in half and removed the rotted section, also trimmed the broken shoots back.

Have I done the right thing or will the rhizome only rot again where I have cut it???

ive just noticed my hops seem to have random bines dying off. They are in their second season, growth has stalled over the last fortnight and ive got around 3-4 bines on each starting to wither. Any cause for concern or its just weeding itself out of excess growth? and no, the plants are not being over or under cared for. especically with the crappy weather we have had in melbourne as of late.

Cheers

Oh while im at it, here is the current heights.

Chinook/s
Chinook1.11.09.JPG

POR (Thanks Boston!)
POR2.JPG

With the next 7 days going to be mid to high 30's every day I am going to put up the shade sail tommorow morning.
My chinook bines are nearly up to the top horizontal string thats about 9ft.

hey hey

my third chinook (the one in the ground) has finally poked its head through :) . I wanted to plant my other two chinooks in the ground and was wondering the right procedure of moving it would be? Atm im using a pot with the diamater of about 40 to 45 cm and can tell in a few weeks that the pot will be too small. So was wondering whats the best way of doing it was.

cheers

dicko

Procedure for moving into the ground is no different to any other plant from a pot imo.

Dig a good sized hole, add some composted soil / manure / potting mix and plant the rhizome. Keep it intact with as much soil from the pot as possible to avoid shocking the plant too much.

Water it in, but dont overkill it with kindness.

If its warm, throw some mulch over the plant.

Checked on my six plants last week - the Goldings is taking off, with the Tardif and Hersbrucker not far behind. The Cascades are a little slow off the mark.

DSC08958_1.JPG

DSC08960_1.JPG

DSC09003_1.JPG

Just dug this one up after beingpatien for acoupleof weeks didn't work out.. The rhizome was limp and rotting in the middle, So I cut it in half and removed the rotted section, also trimmed the broken shoots back.

Have I done the right thing or will the rhizome only rot again where I have cut it???
bump

You might be lucky. I would leave it in a pot though not the ground, bring it into the house to keep the temperatures stable.
Edit: Once rot sets in, it is hard to remove. You will need to work out why it got rot. Was it a new rhizome? If you put it straight back into the same location, rot will continue.

My hops have taken off, particularly my Saaz - it's loving life at the moment.

Saaz%2005112009.JPG

Aaaah, what a supermodel.

Unfortunately my Hallertau started strong but hasn't been growing much lately.

Hallertau%20Mitelfruh%2005112009.JPG

Upon closer inspection, some of its leaves have yellow edges.

Hallertau%20Mitelfruh%20leaves%2005112009.JPG

Any idea what that would be from?

In a rush of something other than blood to the head a few weeks ago I put some washing machine grey water on both plants. Would that have something to do with the Hallertau's lack of performance lately?

Other than that, I can't think of what the problem would be. I water them every few days, or daily when it's hot. I haven't put any fertiliser in since I potted them in August.

Thoughts?

Water the pots only when the soil is dry would be my recommendation.

A couple of questions...

I planted some Chinook Rhizomes a couple of months ago and they came up then died. I gave it a few weeks then pulled up the Rhizome today and I'm pretty sure it's 'dead'. There are some roots but no new growth. It feels lighter and looks like it's starting to rot a bit. Is it worth trying to keep and do something with or does it sound really dead and should be ditched? I can post photos if this would assist.

I have another Rhizome planted a month later as an afterthought that is growing. It's shot up in the last week and there are now 4 shoots. The tallest is almost 10cm. I'm going away for 5 days next week and the forecast is for 35 and 36 in Melbourne on the weekend. I have no drip or timer set up. What are the chances of this dying if left unattended for 5 days in the heat? Is some shadecloth a good idea or is the sun more important during this early stage? FYI Due to the setup and size of our block the best spot I could do is in shade from about 3 or 4 pm.

Cheers, Sam.

Bloody hell my Chinook grew about a foot over the weekend. It made it to the end of the stake/string I had, went up in the air about 6 inches, then bent over and started wrapping around itself. I unwrapped it and pulled it out and holy crap it was long. Urgently making a structure for it. Would recommend anyone else plan ahead, plan for things to grow faster than you could possibly imagine.

What are the chances of this dying if left unattended for 5 days in the heat? Is some shadecloth a good idea or is the sun more important during this early stage? FYI Due to the setup and size of our block the best spot I could do is in shade from about 3 or 4 pm.

First Q - Yep sounds like its rotted. I lost one this season too for some reason! :(

2nd Q - Introduce some mulch, give it a good soak before you head off, then it should be fine upon your return. If its in a pot, then maybe add some insulation around the pot if you are really concerned - but they are hardy weeds and should be fine.

I've got two perle plants that have rocketed off & reached 7/8ft in just a few weeks, however something has decided to bite off every growing tip over the last 2 days. Two of my (4 inch high) goldings plants got bitten off at ground level as well, not happy at all.
Any idea of the culprit?

Bloody hell my Chinook grew about a foot over the weekend. It made it to the end of the stake/string I had, went up in the air about 6 inches, then bent over and started wrapping around itself. I unwrapped it and pulled it out and holy crap it was long. Urgently making a structure for it. Would recommend anyone else plan ahead, plan for things to grow faster than you could possibly imagine.

Can't stress this enough. I was a day late making the structure. The longest bine is damaged now and looks like it'll stop growing. Not quite sure how it happened but it got a kink in it and all the leaves above the kink wilted.

Here is my 2009 hop plant, loving it in sunny Qld

23.JPG

To give you an idea of scale, the main bine is about 2m tall and then another 6m along the roof line. You cannot see it in the photo, but I have trained two other bines up around the corner of the roof heading towards the house.

Can't weight for the fresh hop beers again.

Also in my last set of pics I mentioned
"These are growing along East-West, house is on the southern side. "
these are growing along East towards the West, but on the Northern side of my house, doh!

QldKev

My hop tower...about 4.5 metres tall. All plants seem very healthy. Thanks to gilbrew for quality rhizomes...I fertilised pretty well to begin with...started with good soil, lots of compost and well rotted horse poo...have a 60ltr bin of "cow poo tea" that I dilute further and water in avery couple of weeks. Some of the smaller plants you see here are actually strawberries...

IMG_3928.jpg

Chinook and POR
IMG_3921.jpg

Tettnang and POR

IMG_3926.jpg

Hops are loving the Adelaide heatwave, i swear they are growing in front of my eyes!

Not sure why people are putting up shade sails, ever see shadecloth on a hop farm?

If you keep the water up they will love it! I'm only watering them ever 2nd day despite the temps hitting 38-39 and they look as happy as pigs in shit.

Back