2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:

Dunno what Claire would say if i mentioned that to her..... :D

I think my cats were scared most, took one of them till lunchtime to brave coming near the house!

I'll put my hand up to host the next one :)

Might be the last opportunity for us to host one, we'll be moving into the mobile home sometime around August .... Bit hard to fit 20 odd people into a bus :)

Looks like you fellas had a great/evening! Surprised any of you guys went to work today. Thought you would be at the gym burning all that beer and food off! Geez by the look of all the food and beer you guys had you could properly support a small country for a week! :lol:

I will be at the next one for sure! Work can go away and gives me time to get my brewing practices up to scratch!

Brilliant time had by all

must thank the hosts as well for all they did

might have to get off my lazy a*** for next years and actually participate in the swap

I'll put my hand up to host the next one :)

Might be the last opportunity for us to host one, we'll be moving into the mobile home sometime around August .... Bit hard to fit 20 odd people into a bus :)

I can organsie a large trailer and we could call it Domunsura's magical mystery tour :super: That sounds like an ace idea.

BYB

I had the Czech Pilsner, with the picnic tap in the yellow drum.
Here's the link if this is the one you liked.

Ah ha you are the one who nearly cut his hand off retrieving your keg when leaving, from what I can remember :eek: BTW I think I nicked one of the POR's that were kicking around in the morning. Left overs I think. Had not planned on grabiing one but could not resist. If and when you are in the Barossa next time call in, I reckon i could find at leats one good bottle of red to throw at you. Nup I insist. Gives you a reason to call in to one of the best parts of S.A

I see you pitched a 5000ml starter for the Pilsner :eek: Is that correct. Even though it is a 50ltr batch.

BYB

I see you pitched a 5000ml starter for the Pilsner :eek: Is that correct. Even though it is a 50ltr batch.
Yes this is correct. I built up from 1 smack pack, up to 5000ml 1.040 wort. When the yeast had visually appeared to slow down, but not stop fermenting, I poured off the liquid portion and pitched the slurry on the bottom of the conical.

Yes this is correct. I built up from 1 smack pack, up to 5000ml 1.040 wort. When the yeast had visually appeared to slow down, but not stop fermenting, I poured off the liquid portion and pitched the slurry on the bottom of the conical.

Most my post boils are around the 38ltr mark. The norm for me is around 2ltrs. Do you think 5ltrs is over kill??

Hang on just realised you poor of a majority of the liquid.

BYB

Most my post boils are around the 38ltr mark. The norm for me is around 2ltrs. Do you think 5ltrs is over kill??
BYB
With the 5L starter, I probably tipped out 4.5L of fermented wort, to ensure the flavours did not affect my beer.
This was my first Lager so I wanted to ensure I had plently of yeast to handle the lower temperatures. After speaking to MikE Saturday night he recommended to keep your starters around 30C and pour off liquid portion and keep the yeast slurry. From what I have read and others have told me and Mr Malty pitching calculator, the more yeast the better for a lager to ensure a prompt ferment start.

I can organsie a large trailer and we could call it Domunsura's magical mystery tour :super: That sounds like an ace idea.

BYB

+1 for Demunsura's...But with the Bus and the Trailer - might have to be

Demuncilla....Queen of the Case Swap.....

(Just watch out for that pink appendage) :)

Hey GMK we all noticed at the swap that a few of your bottles had "floaties" what yeast did you use??

KHB

3944 Belgian Wit Yeast - but the floaties is either pectin of Apricot.

I run it thru a GMK Inline filter - but that was not fine enough.

Still tatstes good though.

May have to run it through a sieve to get the chunks out :p

Hey GMK we all noticed at the swap that a few of your bottles had "floaties" what yeast did you use??

KHB

Had one of GMK's Apricot Wits last week and the floaties are the apricots, it's fine just have to get your head around the sea monkeys in it.
Might pour mine through a tea strainer or coffee plunger when I get my swap case.

God you guys are picky....

BYB

The standard rules of thumb is the yeast from a 1L starter per 20L of wort for an ale, and double for a lager (1L per 10L wort); a bit under 4L would be a good size for 38L.

With the 5L starter, I probably tipped out 4.5L of fermented wort, to ensure the flavours did not affect my beer.
After speaking to MikE Saturday night he recommended to keep your starters around 30C and pour off liquid portion and keep the yeast slurry. From what I have read and others have told me and Mr Malty pitching calculator, the more yeast the better for a lager to ensure a prompt ferment start.

I would recommend that you NOT make a starter at 30C for a lager. After all, you are trying to get the optimal yeast conditions for 10C.

15C (Max) would be my recommendation for a lager yeast culture. YMMV

cheers

Darren

Back