2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap - Tastings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homekegger1

Reaction score
Well I guess I will start this off, as since I had a lovely siesta today I am feeling good. Packing the camper ready for our wonderful trek across to my folks house, felt I should have a beer. This will be little Lincolns first holiday.

So I chilled down Mikes Pilsner and have enjoyed that. A very good drop indeed. Poured clear, looked great and tasted very nice. Ran out of head quickly but that is all I can pick up on it. All in all an enjoyable beer. Thanks again Mike.

Have loaded all the other beers into the esky and chucked on ice. I will remove those that need some warming to enjoy, a little before I drink them, but am looking forward to sampling them as I head on my road trip. (Not whilst I am driving :p )

As I will be away I won't be able to post any tasting notes for about a week, unless I get free net in some caravan parks we stay in. But when at folks house I will try to remember to put something up.

Hope everyone enjoys their beers.

Cheers

HK

So I chilled down Mikes Pilsner and have enjoyed that. A very good drop indeed. Poured clear, looked great and tasted very nice. Ran out of head quickly but that is all I can pick up on it. All in all an enjoyable beer. Thanks again Mike.
Cheers

HK
thanks man, glad it was generally a win. i usually have the exact opposite problem, head that stays around in the glass, for days if i forget to wash, must be something about my decoction mash or something. missing temperatures maybe?

i tried about a week or so ago, i thought it was a little undercarbed as well.

Have not tried any beers yet.
But here is the link to my Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale, Case Swap,
and my Czech Pilsner keg on the night recipe's.
rated! that pilsner was goddamn awesome and by the looks of it, so easy. will definitely have to try it before end of summer.

Choppadoo's Bitter

It's got an interesting spicy aroma that I really can't place my finger on. Quite nice, though it could do with a little *more*- some more body and bitterness. Though as it is it's a good summer quaffer, which, I presume, is what the goal was when it was made.

Actually, I'll take back that last comment- it's really growing on me, the malt backbone is really coming out, and I love the bitterness- what hops did you use?

Youngy's House Lager v1.2

Medium gold, pretty clear, small head that sits like cream on the top. Clean aroma, small spicy hop flavour, low on bitterness and seems to have a little malt sweetness. Just getting some minor sulphur (and maybe some DMS) on the finish and the nose, otherwise pretty damned good :). Brilliant start to the case.

Cheers
Adam

Actually, I'll take back that last comment- it's really growing on me, the malt backbone is really coming out, and I love the bitterness- what hops did you use?
There is definitely something slightly odd about this beer, at a guess i would say a mild lactic infection. Someone with a better palate might have a better idea. I don't think it detracts from the beer, just adds another element. Didn't quite know what to call it as it is not really bitter enough for a bitter.
Hops were primarily brewers gold and a touch of millenium to 24 IBUs. Also a little pacific hallertau for aroma.

Finally got my case tonight, many thanks to Dr Smurto for bringing it down, GMK for picking it and Boston for the POR, gentlemen and scholars the lot of ya. Apologies for being the only plastic in the village will to supply glass next time (funny that) also forgot to write drink now on my bottles (mine's the plastic one with the hand crafted label).

Cheers

24. Choppadoo's Bitter

Looks exactly the same as Youngy's lager - gold, pretty clear, small persistent head. Soft fruity aroma. Similar taste up front, bit of piney or resiny hop flavour and a tart, sour finish. Could either be lactobacillus, or the Millennium? Doesn't have much in the way of sweetness so it well could be lacto; is it more carbonated than you expected? It's kinda growing on me now, and still serving well as a liquid lunch. Cheers.

First one out of the blocks for me is Big H's Jade Lager and what a great place to start, All round very good beer indeed very enjoyable experience for me it was like a three in one flavour kind of lager, where you can drink it and pick out 3 well known styles or brands in the one beer but the beer has its own unique flavour in its self. Thank mate I really enjoyed drinking your Jade Lager :icon_cheers:

Any potential bottle bombs we should know about yet?
Murcluf's Weizen, bottled in PET is very tight, a lot tighter than soft drink in a bottle. I have never bottled PET, is this amount of expansion normal? I know PET wont explode, but thought there might be a few issues with some late bottling, I put it in the fridge just in case. I never have had a bottle explode of my own, and would not want any to go off now.

Murcluf's Weizen, bottled in PET is very tight, a lot tighter than soft drink in a bottle. I have never bottled PET, is this amount of expansion normal? I know PET wont explode, but thought there might be a few issues with some late bottling, I put it in the fridge just in case. I never have had a bottle explode of my own, and would not want any to go off now.

I have bottled in pet before, and yes they can become very tight. Just open with care.

BYB

Interesting...I have Murclufs in the fridge atm, put it in this morning to drink tomorrow...and whilst it's tight, it doesn't seem overly so.

There'll be a higher pressure inside any bottle of carbonated beverage when warm, compared to when chilled. I'm sure it'll be fine :)

Youngy - House Lager v1.2
Low carbonation (keg bottled), hop aroma a bit lower than my preferred taste. As Adam stated a bit of malt sweetness, or could even a drop of honey in the ferment. Residual mouth feel not as crisp as I would prefer for a lager.

The backseat of my car is no longer a fan of PET but i suspect that is more due to my driving style than an overcarbed beer. The bottle didnt explode, the seal looked cracked (again - prob driving style and playing corners a bit too much with a car full of beer :eek: )

I have seen the result of an overcarbed beer in PET before - they are not as dangerous as glass but still make a hell of a mess. PET not being able to explode is an urban myth... not that i am offering a demo.

The rest of Murclufs beers were fine so i dont see there being a problem.

Had Mikes pilsner last night. Not great head retention. Malty, maybe even a little on the sweet side. Very little hop aroma. Pretty much what you would expect with a pilsner. A bit darker than just 100% pils malt - how long was each decoction step? Went down very well watching the Aussies carving up some ordinary bowling.

Somehow i ended up with 3 bottles of this so will be cracking a few more tonight. I even served it in a nice pilsner urquell glass!

Actually, i have multiple bottles of a few of the swap beers plus a heap of unlabelled bottles i assume some of you gave me to taste and report back?

Adam - i have one of yours that is labelled RB on the cap?

a grolsch bottle and an unlabelled PET (tasted like my golden ale - bloody nice if i do say so myself :D )

I'm still not sure how we made 341... I only saw the first session of play though.

RB is Rye Belgian, it about 8% so don't drink it before work :)

I think there's also a stubby of IIPA in that esky too... not sure if the cap is labeled or not.

Had Mikes pilsner last night. Not great head retention. Malty, maybe even a little on the sweet side. Very little hop aroma. Pretty much what you would expect with a pilsner. A bit darker than just 100% pils malt - how long was each decoction step? Went down very well watching the Aussies carving up some ordinary bowling.

Somehow i ended up with 3 bottles of this so will be cracking a few more tonight. I even served it in a nice pilsner urquell glass!

a grolsch bottle and an unlabelled PET (tasted like my golden ale - bloody nice if i do say so myself :D )

the grolsch bottle in the shed fridge opposite the bar would be my LIGHT smurto golden ale :p - i think i'll be brewing mostly this all summer.

as for the pilsner, i think each boil and rest was about 20mins. there was some flexibility with boil and rest times but i wasn't really sure what the effect of these were so i aimed for happy medium times. i might do some more reading on it...

any recipe change suggestions?

Only 1 beer was left in the esky - RB. Someone must have drunk the IIPA.

And yes, i was watching the last session at home with Mikes pilsner.

I may have been watching the cricket at work during the day but i had a CPA!

Public servants 2 weeks before xmas. About as active as a koala.

The bowling was first class for the first 10 overs of the day, after that it was the batsmen who got themselves out. Clarke needs a slapping. Throwing his wicket away like Mark Waugh back in the day. Cant fault Simmo, thats what he does.

Latest posts

Back