2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap - Tastings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polished off the case this evening with a double dose of DrSmurto's Landlord. I must say, this is a damn good beer, and I almost feel bad for grabbing an extra bottle of this in exchange for one of my feeble attempts at it. Have currently got the dregs munching on a starter to try and build up some 1469.

Pours nice and clear, with an inviting copper-ish colour. I must say that I've never tried the original (every time I go to the Wheaty they seem to have something new on tap for me to try!) but I did make an attempt at an earlier version of the Dr's recipe that I picked up from somewhere or other. Checked my notes and this version has a bit more munich and adds some chocolate and cuts back on the hops a bit. I reckon it's a lot better balanced and the bit of choc malt adds that extra something as well.

Would be interested to know if anyone who picked up the resiny/rubbery flavour in mine found it in this one as the only thing I could pick up in mine on a repeat tasting I think I was getting in the landlord slightly. I'm pretty sure what I'm tasting is just the EKG as flavour hops though.

Anyway, thanks everyone who was in the swap, I must say you've opened my tastebuds up to a few different styles and pretty much all beers went down rather nicely. Thanks also to those who have provided feedback on my beer - it's good to know that I'm producing something at least halfway drinkable.

Standouts for me were Rustyc's Bright APA - is there a recipe on the way for this or should I just ring LC in Freo? - and
the Landlord. Honourable mentions to Boston's NS Summer Ale, bigh's Jade Lager and choppadoo's bitter.

Recipe is now posted in the Data base under Rusty's Bright APA Xmas 2008 swap. Biterness come out a bit high in the DB then on beersmith I had it about 26-27 from memory but glad to here that everyone enjoyed it

I drank one of my beers tonight and agree the honey has made it dry, which i like i enjoy honey beers, Will make again just use more wheat next time

Polished off the case this evening with a double dose of DrSmurto's Landlord. I must say, this is a damn good beer, and I almost feel bad for grabbing an extra bottle of this in exchange for one of my feeble attempts at it. Have currently got the dregs munching on a starter to try and build up some 1469.

Pours nice and clear, with an inviting copper-ish colour. I must say that I've never tried the original (every time I go to the Wheaty they seem to have something new on tap for me to try!) but I did make an attempt at an earlier version of the Dr's recipe that I picked up from somewhere or other. Checked my notes and this version has a bit more munich and adds some chocolate and cuts back on the hops a bit. I reckon it's a lot better balanced and the bit of choc malt adds that extra something as well.

Agree. The choc addition and extra munich help balance the bitterness. Every time casw swap comes aorund i get all nervous about my beer, i think too much about every little thing and end up stressing myself out. Its good to hear people enjoyed it.

Hoping to make a double batch of this again soon as i dont have any bottles left!

If you want Landlord go to Cellarbrations, Fullarton Rd, Fullarton. They have several english beers. 3 for $20.

peas_and_corn - Hallertauer Pale Ale:
i think i tried this at the swap, but i had it last night during an awesome round of left 4 dead. i REALLY like this beer, nicely bitter and an awesome flavour. Dave, have you posted the recipe for this?

EDIT: found it on reciupe DB after a not-so-extensive search :p - will definitely be brewing this or something very similar.

peas_and_corn - Hallertauer Pale Ale:
i think i tried this at the swap, but i had it last night during an awesome round of left 4 dead. i REALLY like this beer, nicely bitter and an awesome flavour. Dave, have you posted the recipe for this?

EDIT: found it on reciupe DB after a not-so-extensive search :p - will definitely be brewing this or something very similar.

Funny mine was flat as a tack

Yeah, there were some issues, I was new at the whole bottling from the keg thing. Apologies to those who got flat ones.

Homekegger - White Shield IPA Clone
Well to start, the label says, 'may be slightly under carbed'. Far from the truth, this beer is borderline overcarbed, like my Nelson Sauvin. Maybe the extra bit of time I have given it, as I followed the best after date. This beer was great to taste, I think I drank it a bit too cold though. I feel the malt was hidden a bit by the hops, the flame out Northdown may be slightly out of ballance and could have been added at 20min and swapped for the fuggles at flame out. Overall good beer, would have thought it was greater than 5% ABV though.

Butters - Mild
To start, the clarity of this beer is spot on, even though it is dark, there is no haze.
After the first sip I was a bit unsure on the balance, but after a couple of minutes in the glass it rounded off nicely. Once I got about half way through the bottle I was starting to think one of the dark malts was beginning to dominate, leaving a rich warm chocolate flavour in the mouth (but still not out of balance).
Being low alcohol the mouth feel was cut a bit short, with a slightly sweet chocolate finish. I am not sure if this beer would be for my taste as a 'summer session', would almost be more suited to the winter swap, where serving unchilled would be appropriate. Only suggestion would be to drop a little bit of the darker malts, and the mouth feel may finish a bit cleaner (for summer drinking), leave as is for winter drinking.
[more detail as requested] :icon_cheers:

~MikE - Pilsner
This beer has a good malt back bone with hops not over powering. I found it hard to believe this beer is nearly 42IBU, and no chill so potentially even higher bitterness, (my Czech Saaz was 4%AA, not 6% as on the RecipeDB so bitterness may be lower depending on Mikes Saaz). This beer has some faint honey notes which may be from the Vienna malt (never used it before), or some esters from the WY2124. This beer was 5.19% ABV that was balancing the bitterness, but I feel the beer would have been nicer around 4.5%. Being such a clean beer I could start to taste the alcohol. I have not done a stepped mash like Mike did, so I am unsure how the flavour profile may have been affected compared to a standard mash.

GMK - Apricot Spiced Wit
I would say this is one of the beers that does not meet the 'summer session beer' theme IMO. It would be better placed as a final beer for the night with a cheese platter and fruit, or just a dessert beer. The apricot flavours are high and nearly out of balance. The wheat and apricot work well together, but not really my taste for a beer.

DrSmurto - Publican
After reading previous reviews, I lined up 3 glasses and poured the whole bottle out in one hit and did not invert. Left the finings oyster in the bottle. This beer is perfectly bright with great colour, (as one would hope after using finings). Flavour and hops perfectly matched. I don't think this beer is quite my 'Summer session beer', but would definately be an 'Autumn session beer' (shame I only had one bottle).

Well that's me out.... 2008 Summer Case Swap now complete, a great sample of beers.
Getting ready for the Winter Swap, looking forward to tasting and swapping some more great examples of ALL GRAIN. :icon_cheers:

Homekegger - White Shield IPA Clone:
overcarbed, but nothing a few whacks from above with a spare glass wont solve. once brought to the right carbonation, it's a very pleasant flavour indeed. my only experience brewing IPA was a highly bitter - almost unnecessarily so. this is well balanced and easy to drink.

Well I finally got around to drinking the case swap. (was saving it for a time I could relax and enjoy)

I was over at Venus Bay for 5 nights, so a perfect place to sit after fishing and sample a few different brews.

Personally I thought there would have be more easier drinking beers and found some a bit heavy to punch back in 30+ temperatures, but they did taste great.

From what I recall I liked Bostons Summer Ale and BigH Jade's Lager the best. I also enjoyed RustyC, murcluf, oasis, rudys.

Well done everyone, can't wait for the next one.

Latest posts

Back