2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap - Tastings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had HKs White Shield Clone last night.

First off - people shouldnt be judging this against the BJCP definition of an IPA. Its not an IPA by that definition. Its a higher gravity english ale, sort of an ESB, sort of an IPA.

I've had a few bottles of the real deal and i quite enjoy this beer. Close to a favourite.

I think this version is spot on. Its malty, there is enough bitterness to balance the malt but its not overly bitter. A lovely aroma and the colour is good. Clarity is the its only fault IMO but nothing time and/or some gelatine wouldnt fix. Carbonation was right where i like it as well.

I have to say, after being unimpressed with your beer last year Craig you have dealt up a winner. I had a recipe for this beer somewhere that i had pinched from Jims Beer Kit but seem to have lost it. Could you post your version please?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Its not an IPA by that definition.

Must be why I liked it so much :lol: Agree with the issues with clarity, though....I was actually pretty surprised at that, given it was 1026. Even with the cloudiness, it was up there amongst the front runners for me.

I think this version is spot on. Its malty, there is enough bitterness to balance the malt but its not overly bitter. A lovely aroma and the colour is good. Clarity is the its only fault IMO but nothing time and/or some gelatine wouldnt fix. Carbonation was right where i like it as well.

I have to say, after being unimpressed with your beer last year Craig you have dealt up a winner. I had a recipe for this beer somewhere that i had pinched from Jims Beer Kit but seem to have lost it. Could you post your version please?

Cheers
DrSmurto

Must be why I liked it so much :lol: Agree with the issues with clarity, though....I was actually pretty surprised at that, given it was 1026. Even with the cloudiness, it was up there amongst the front runners for me.

Firstly, I want to say thanks, I am glad you boys enjoyed it.

And the recipe can be found here

Cheers boys.

HK

44 IBU :eek:

I would have guessed 30, maybe 35. What OG did you get? A BU:GU of over 1 and Butters enjoyed it - i think he has been converted! :lol:

I have all the ingredients to have a crack at that!

Cheers
DrSmurto

I would have guessed about 30 ish as well....wow.

I think a big part of my issues with bitterness comes down to hop selection, as well, as opposed to IBU per se. It's harsh bitterness that I don't like...in this case it helps greatly that I'm a big fan of both challenger and fuggles. ;)

Edit...and I more than enjoyed it. It was one of my favourites. As much as I liked many of the others, this is one that I would happily session on.

Nearly at the end now...

GMK - Apricot Wit
Pours with a distinct lack of floaties - in fact was nice and clear. I actually couldn't finish this one last night, the apricot flavour was just too much for me. Left it overnight and gave it another go tonight and it had mellowed somewhat. While it still definitely had the apricot taste it blended in better and was quite nice. I'm still not entirely convinced about fruit in beer though... :unsure:

As for the White Shield IPA - the bottle I think said 5.6% and the recipe ~4%... which was it?

As for the White Shield IPA - the bottle I think said 5.6% and the recipe ~4%... which was it?

Missed that in the recipe! 5.6% is more like white shields. Maybe that is why Butters liked it.

Maybe i should have passed around the bottle of IIPA i had in the fridge. 7.5% and 70 IBU. Tasty! Fuggles, EKG and Styrians - a landlord on roids!

Just checked my paperwork. SG was 1.047 and final was 1.009 giving me 5.66% on the calculator I use. Just checked on Beersmith with same numbers and got 4.9%. With the crush I get from my grain from Beerbelly I usually get around 85% efficiency.

Attached is what I use to calculate Alc. But may start using the calc in Beersmith.

View attachment Home_Brewery.zip

Cheers

HK

Just checked my paperwork. SG was 1.047 and final was 1.009 giving me 5.66% on the calculator I use. Just checked on Beersmith with same numbers and got 4.9%. With the crush I get from my grain from Beerbelly I usually get around 85% efficiency.

Attached is what I use to calculate Alc. But may start using the calc in Beersmith.

View attachment 23850

Cheers

HK

Looking at those gravity's I reckon the 4.9% abv would be closer.

BYB

Yeah, the calculator is definately off as far as the alcohol is concerned. The priming part of it looks about right.

KHB - Honey Weisbieer
Like Goofinder, I am not a fan of Honey in beer, the cloves seem to be quite upfront as well. Pored nicely in the glass, and held the head well. I think there is something missing from this beer, but can't put my finger on it yet. I think it might be just a bit more Wheat, would have liked to get a bit of the bubblegum flavours through on it. What % wheat is in it?

Isac - Aussie Lager
This beer was not as clean on the finish as I would have liked. A few have mentioned DMS, I am getting a slight corn taste, but not too offensive. I think this beer tastes like either the ferment got too hot, or there was some grain husk that got into the fermenter, it could also be a flame out hop addition that made it get a bit unbalanced.

Had HKs White Shield Clone last night.

First off - people shouldnt be judging this against the BJCP definition of an IPA. Its not an IPA by that definition. Its a higher gravity english ale, sort of an ESB, sort of an IPA.

I think this version is spot on. Its malty, there is enough bitterness to balance the malt but its not overly bitter. A lovely aroma and the colour is good.
I had Homekegger's White Sheild Clone and totally agree with Smurto's above comments, it was a very well balance and enjoyable beer to drink.

Had Adamt ALT F4 last week was nice to drink except all the carbonation was in the oversized head space of the bottle and poured flat as a tack. Would of really enjoyed it more if it had some bubbles in it, Unless an Alt is supposed to be flat as, hadn't had one before, but it did taste nice thou,

Tonight was Butters Mild Ale more Wild then Mild it was excellent I personally loved every minute of it very nice drop indeed damn shame there was only one to be had. Sure is in as one of my favourites.

Rudy's mild:
a very nice brewsky this one. i'm not usually one for all malt and minimal hops but you pulled it off well. very nice malty flavour and well balanced bitterness for my taste.

I had Homekegger's White Sheild Clone and totally agree with Smurto's above comments, it was a very well balance and enjoyable beer to drink.

Thanks Murcluf, Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to be catching up soon.

KHB - Honey Weisbieer
Like Goofinder, I am not a fan of Honey in beer, the cloves seem to be quite upfront as well. Pored nicely in the glass, and held the head well. I think there is something missing from this beer, but can't put my finger on it yet. I think it might be just a bit more Wheat, would have liked to get a bit of the bubblegum flavours through on it. What % wheat is in it?

It was 37% wheat. I know have changed my recipie since then to more wheat

KHB honey weisbier:
not bad. more clove than banana for my liking with 3068 - i'd brew warmer, and i think the 37% wheat could be pushed to 50% - the colour is quite yellow. i'd also push the honey more- the sweetness is there, and the flavour is just squeaking through but i personally wouldn't mind more. other than that, reasonable head, great mouth feel and an overall well balanced and very enjoyable quaffer. :D

i think the recipe for this would vary greatly depending on the brewer. eg boston doesn't like honey in beer, i want for it to be more of a predominant flavour. what does one do with 3068? clove or banana?

Latest posts

Back