2008 Sa Xmas Case Swap - Tastings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Nelson Sauvin in it....all NZ Pacific Gem Flowers @ 17.8% AA all the way, by the bucketload. Those grapes you're tasting might be blackberries in disguise :D

There something about NZ hops isnt there. One would think NZ is a little close to the heart :rolleyes: I still remember the NZ Cascade hop back.

BYB

<------------------------------------- I may not fully remember it, but the evidence is there!

pfffffffffff............remembering stuff is over-rated.....:lol:

Boston - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Poured with a massive head, but that may have been the glass I was using though it did seem pretty highly carbonated. Smooth bitterness, nice hop flavour. Tasted just as good as it did at the swap.

Rudy - Summer Mild

I reckon I must have got a dud bottle of this one after reading some of the other reviews. Pretty highly carbonated, sour taste and seemed rather thin for a beer that finished at 1016. :( A bit disappointing really as I've got a brown that I made with Bairds brown malt that I really like and by the looks of it this should have been a good beer.

That's a shame, I have one bottle left which I can drop to you if you like. Send me a PM.

3. ~MikE’s Pilsner
Looks plain sexy. Clear straw colour, small but marshmallowy head, med-high carbonation. Aroma of sweetness and Saaz spiciness. Flavour is sweet then rich malt, some of the spiciness comes through but not too much. Clean bitterness dominates the finish. Bitterness seemed to hang around quite a bit but I haven’t had a beer since New Years.

I'm about half way through the first glass and I'm flying. Must be those pain killers I had with dinner :eek:

RustyC - Bright APA

I think this beer is well balanced and easy drinking. This beer has a good balance between aroma and bittering hops. There is a slight warmth on the finish as if it is above 5.0% alcohol, I think this beer would be a good 4.0% session beer.
Has a recipe been posted for this one yet? Would like to give it a go before we run out of summer.

I got some new Pilsner glasses for Christmas, so tried them out tonight. I know it's the wrong glass for this beer, but this was the next cold beer in the line up.
RustyC___Bright_APA_002.JPG
:icon_offtopic: I broke one Monday night while removing the stickers, nearly lost the top of my finger, end up in Wakefield and got 4 stitches. Crystal cuts so much better than glass. ;) Only 5 glasses now.

RustyC - Bright APA
I think this beer is well balanced and easy drinking. This beer has a good balance between aroma and bittering hops. There is a slight warmth on the finish as if it is above 5.0% alcohol, I think this beer would be a good 4.0% session beer.
Has a recipe been posted for this one yet? Would like to give it a go before we run out of summer.
Just read the label 4.6% ABV, would have guessed it was higher.

Drinking the not so special bitter at the moment and am really enjoying this one, nice and malty with nice hop flavour

Rudy - Summer Mild

I reckon I must have got a dud bottle of this one after reading some of the other reviews. Pretty highly carbonated, sour taste and seemed rather thin for a beer that finished at 1016. :( A bit disappointing really as I've got a brown that I made with Bairds brown malt that I really like and by the looks of it this should have been a good beer.
Hmm... I'm starting to think my taste buds might need some calibration. I had a commercial stout on the weekend where I got a similar sourness coming through, and now I've just had Butters' Mild and there it was again. Surely all three can't have been bad.

With Butters', I checked the temperature after the first glass (about 12C warmed up from around 8C) then proceeded to knock out CO2 using the Butters syringe method which greatly reduced the sourness for me. There's some nice flavours from the malt in there and it's ridiculously clear and doesn't seem like a low alc beer, but for me the sourness just overrides it too much. Carbonic bite maybe? Not sure.

Rudy said:
That's a shame, I have one bottle left which I can drop to you if you like. Send me a PM.
Any chance you can bring it along to the AMB meet on the 17th? Wouldn't mind trying it again while there's a few other people around to share it with and see if I'm the only crazy one.

Strange one, Dan....I wasn't overly happy with my beer. There were several flavours with it that I was unhappy about (mainly from over cooking the malt, and a temp spike), but sourness wasn't one of them.... haven't got any left for another taste, though.

Hmm... I'm starting to think my taste buds might need some calibration. I had a commercial stout on the weekend where I got a similar sourness coming through, and now I've just had Butters' Mild and there it was again. Surely all three can't have been bad.

With Butters', I checked the temperature after the first glass (about 12C warmed up from around 8C) then proceeded to knock out CO2 using the Butters syringe method which greatly reduced the sourness for me. There's some nice flavours from the malt in there and it's ridiculously clear and doesn't seem like a low alc beer, but for me the sourness just overrides it too much. Carbonic bite maybe? Not sure.

Any chance you can bring it along to the AMB meet on the 17th? Wouldn't mind trying it again while there's a few other people around to share it with and see if I'm the only crazy one.

If I don't drink it between now and then! :) I'm on holidays, and there is not a lot of homebrew in my fridge

Just had KHB's Honey Weissbier. Similar to Murcluf's Weizen but with a bit of dryness upfront which I think was from the honey. Not too bad, but I'm not really a fan of honey beers to be honest.

Also have had a couple of others over the last couple of days - isac's Aussie Lager which I think needed to be a bit cleaner for an Aussie lager (had some apple-y tastes and DMS in there I think) and homekegger's White Shield IPA clone which I would have expected a bit more hop character from (although I've never tasted the original) but still was a nice beer and went down rather well from what I recall. :icon_drunk:

Hi Boston just landed back in adelaide today so the recipe is not up yet but I will put it up over the next day or 2

Hi Boston just landed back in adelaide today so the recipe is not up yet but I will put it up over the next day or 2
Thanks Rusty. By the way your smoker worked a treat, I think DrSmurto was concreting into his back yard over Christmas. :D

Rudy's - Summer Mild
Very tasty, no sour notes as Goofinder described. I think for my taste the level of Crystal was a bit too high (just). If I was to replicate I would drop the Medium Crystal to 2% and up the Brown Malt to 8%. Another beer that improved with raising the temperature, carbonation was spot on.

Rudy's - Summer Mild
Very tasty, no sour notes as Goofinder described. I think for my taste the level of Crystal was a bit too high (just). If I was to replicate I would drop the Medium Crystal to 2% and up the Brown Malt to 8%. Another beer that improved with raising the temperature, carbonation was spot on.
[/quote]

Cheers. I used a bit of crystal, amber and brown as I wanted low attenuation with such a low OG. I guess the proportions were out, I'll have to print new labels with less crystal and more brown malt :) This was the best beer I had ready at the time and in long necks.

Had butters beer last night was bloody beautiful, went down a treat.

Had butters beer last night was bloody beautiful, went down a treat.

same

Butters's's beer:
nice chocolate slap to the face, very mellow and has a pleasant dryness to it. nothing overdone and the 1469 compliments the maltyness beautifully. this beer rocks!

Latest posts

Back