2 Years, 2 Dead Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arogers

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have for the last two years attempted to propogate a Chinook rhizome in a pot, one each year. For some reason, both rhizomes have rotted out without so much as a shoot coming off.

Two different pots, two different houses, two different sources of dirt/potting mix etc.

I gave them a hit of Seasol after planting as suggested in many places to help with shock etc but after two months of no activity again this year I have uncovered the rhizome to find it soft and lifeless.

Any idea what else I can try next year? I'm not really concerned with actual harvest this season, I'd just like to get a plant established so I can get some hops from it in subsequent years!

Cheers and beers.

Hi all,

I have for the last two years attempted to propogate a Chinook rhizome in a pot, one each year. For some reason, both rhizomes have rotted out without so much as a shoot coming off.

Two different pots, two different houses, two different sources of dirt/potting mix etc.

I gave them a hit of Seasol after planting as suggested in many places to help with shock etc but after two months of no activity again this year I have uncovered the rhizome to find it soft and lifeless.

Any idea what else I can try next year? I'm not really concerned with actual harvest this season, I'd just like to get a plant established so I can get some hops from it in subsequent years!

Cheers and beers.

how bigs the pot and how much water have you given it?

Pots about 50cm across and just as deep...

I give them enough water to keep the soil slightly damp up top, say a few litres every few days?

Got any pictures?

My chinook was planted in the ground this season and has hops forming in its first year. From the instructions that it came with and what I read the drainage is critical to ensuring it takes and doesn't rot. Were you using a pot that drains well and ensuring the rhizome had the opportunity to dry out with plenty of sun etc?

beaten by reg...

I give them enough water to keep the soil slightly damp up top, say a few litres every few days?

Did you put pebbles in the bottom of the pot to help with drainage?

Crappy phone pics.... I will happily admit I'm no gardener haha

EDIT: No no pebbles, good idea though, will try next time!

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

I had 3 small chinook rhizomes, they looked quite similar to yours and 2 of them died at my place, one in a pot, one in the ground. They rotted just like yours. The 3rd went in at the inlaws place with much better soil and it sprouted but is still only 3 inches tall after 3 months.

I bought one more chinook rhizome much later in the season (late sept from memory) that was much bigger and had some quite long new shoots and this one was planted in the crappy soil at my place and it's taken off. It's about 7 feet high at the moment. Drainage, soil quality and hours of sunlight are all not too good. I read somewhere that the size of the rhizome and particularly how much new growth it has is a big factor. It seemed to be true in my case.

I have also found that some seasol and powerfeed every few weeks has helped as well. I didn't fertilize the first 2 after reading some comments here but I find it really helps.

regulator,

was it only chinook that you were after i do have a cascade cutting left that i could grow for you until winter, then it would be a complete rhizome and less likely to rot if you would like me to do that let me know.

cheer's matho

A few litres every few days could well be too much for a rhizome.

I lost one in a pot this season, keeping it outside and probably overwatering it...

Comparing that to last winter - I kept my hops in pots undercover with some mulch, and only watered them once in a 6 month period. They came up a treat when the weather warmed up.

Hope this is of some help... :(

Hi all,

Cheers and beers.

It looks like "damping-off" to me, which is basically a fungal problem. I have seen this before due to me having a little to do with rhizomes on other plants, not hops though but rhizomes are pretty much the same whatever it is.
Things to note are
1. Sterilise your potting mix by first spreading the potting mix out on trays and put in oven, preheat to about 100 - 120 Deg C and bake for about an hour ( don't over-heat or burn ! ) maybe overkill but I used to do this for some carnivorous plants years ago.
2. Use an anti-fungal agent such as strong chamomile tea ( yep the tea, the one you drink, but really strong ( at least 2 to 3 times ), let cool and after you plant the rhizome pour over and do not water again for a couple of days.
3. Use a fungicide such as a solution of phosphorous acid ( Yates anti-rot etc. ) at about 4 mL per litre and apply as above.
4. Water less, plants can be killed by too much water ! As this really does invite fungus in I think this one is definitely part of your problem and then fungus in the potting medium is the rest.

That's it, have fun.

How damp is damp? Damp in the top couple of centremetres of the pot means there is too much water, you've saturated the pot. Down the bottom of the pot could be a swamp. Water less, only only add it when the top coule of centre metres is dry (get you finger or fingers in there like its a first date :eek: ).

I've had the same problem with cuttings over winter.

don't worry about paying me i was going to grow it anyway, maybe a couple of bottles

ill let you know how it went at the end of the season

cheer's matho

I read that gravel in the bottom of a pot can actually hinder drainage??
I think it was that article from BYO magazine.

I've just started growing a POR rhizome in a pot, and now I'm paranoid that I'm overwatering :p The top couple of centemeters do dry out kind of fast though.

Latest posts

Back