2 beers 1 yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
I'll be fermenting two beers this weekend and thought I'd use one yeast for them (wyeast dennys)
Never done it before, so just wanna make sure it's as simple as I think

I was going to make a 2l starter and then just swirl it around after 24 or so hours, pouring half into each fermenter.

I don't have a stir plate so will just be swirling the starter to aerate over the weekend

Is it that easy? Or am I missing something

It can be that easy. Details are in the technique. Yeast count? per brew etc. Its a cooking thing by eye and knowing yeast growth rate etc.

Look at drauflassen. The technique manticle pointed out to me. Depends on your wort production. Cubing is perfect for this technique.
Pitch half the batch with activated yeast. Let ferment for 24 hours or so to get to forming krausen then tip in the second half batch.
Oxygenation is good.

For drauflassen - would I put 1 of the 11l cubes in fermenter, aerate, add 1l yeast starter, then the next day add the second cube?

Did I understand that right? It makes sense I guess

Yes! That's it. Its a beautiful thing in the history of brewing. Or culturing in any case. Only for the same brew though etc.
One small starter to a smaller/half brew. Let get to Krausen stage then double the batch with new wort. Aerated new wort is preferable. The splashing from cube through a sanitized strainer can be enough aeration.

Do you aerate a second time? Eg. With paint mixer on a drill

No way! haha. Thats extreme. I only use a drill spin in the boil, kettle. Never after fermentation starts.
Splashed new wort through a strainer should be enough. Seal and re-shake the entire brew.

Latest posts

Back